Old tube radios

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixcatus

Reaction score
Who?s got one? And what?s the story behind it?

I love tube amps, but I also like old tube radios. Just bought one at the local flea market, I couldn?t resist. Grundig, late ?50s, 4 speakers and a 5 way switch for tone control. Seller told me it was not working. Cleaned it up, plugged it in and turned it on, all functions work, except for the magic eye and some display lights . Its older but better sounding than me. :D

IMG005.jpg

IMG003.jpg

Nice, does it still have the original tubes in it? ECC83s maybe? Those were often Telefunkens or Siemens tubes during that era.

jacco said:
Those were often Telefunkens or Siemens tubes during that era.

Yep Siemens, you know what you?re talking about. :wink:

IMG007.jpg

jacco said:
Nice, does it still have the original tubes in it? ECC83s maybe?

I?m far from an expert, but I think it?s in original condition: preamp ECC81, output EL34.

IMG009.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics.

Hey cool, I've got a Grundig Majestic 7035 that is a small floor model and looks like it might have the same amp section as yours.
Mine has a record player and it all still works and sounds fantastic. It must be the tube power and the funky EQ section that makes it sound so musical.

Here is a picture of the same model on an auction site, not mine for sale.

http://www.othersideantiques.com/Grundig-Majestic-Model-7035-USA-Radio-Record-Player-pr-19266.html

I also have an old tube amped portable record player thats very small and maybe way less than 5 watts. I've hooked a guitar in to it and it's easy to overdrive it and sounds great. I plan to make a guitar amp out of it by putting its guts into an old Pro JR amp box I have laying around. Someday.

felixcatus said:
jacco said:
Those were often Telefunkens or Siemens tubes during that era.

Yep Siemens, you know what you?re talking about. :wink:

IMG007.jpg

jacco said:
Nice, does it still have the original tubes in it? ECC83s maybe?

I?m far from an expert, but I think it?s in original condition: preamp ECC81, output EL34.

IMG009.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics.

Love these things, I frequent fleamarkets myself too for these radios, but only for the tubes, I'm a tube nerd :D

Loudmouse said:
It must be the tube power and the funky EQ section that makes it sound so musical.

The EQ section is a very nice feature, it delivers a very lively sound.

Loudmouse said:
I plan to make a guitar amp out of it by putting its guts into an old Pro JR amp box I have laying around. Someday.

Same here, I just gotta find some time.

jacco said:
Love these things, I frequent fleamarkets myself too for these radios, but only for the tubes, I'm a tube nerd :D

Here?s my humble (old radio tube) collection. Don?t know why I keep them, must be something nostalgic.

002.jpg

Nice one,got three of them too but one from 1948 not working.I was repairing my Saba (former owner was my grandpa) not long ago and went a little into that theme.You should change the old pio caps soon because they are not working properly after decades.There are forums and really useful informations about that where you can see pics of the critical cap types.In my case I had to change some of the tubes as well but the sound is awesome.

t.olsen said:
You should change the old pio caps soon because they are not working properly after decades.There are forums and really useful informations about that where you can see pics of the critical cap types.In my case I had to change some of the tubes as well but the sound is awesome.

Thanks for the info. That?s what I like about this forum, useful information. If it was up to me, I just let it play ?if it ain?t broke, don?t fix it?. After I read your post I did some searching and found this site http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm . Now I know what to do, thanks again.

Well done ! I was thinking like you until some guys in a tuberadio forum told me the old box can burn my house down.I had a lot of caps to change but it was worth it.Especially because it comes from my beloved grandpa :D

Latest posts

Back