Logical Moderne

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenmac

Reaction score
Well, yesterday (September 9th, 2011) I bought a guitar at Steves Music Store here in Toronto. It's made by a new company called Logical who are based out in Vancouver, B.C. and it's their take on the Gibson Moderne. I had previously tried it out the week before and I liked the feel, action and tone of the guitar. It's interesting in that even though it has two humbuckers, in the middle toggle switch position with both pickups on, I find that it has a kind of "Strat" like tone. The pickups are Wilkinsons BTW. It also sounds good acoustically which is always good for an electric guitar. It's well balanced and there are no sharp fret ends like I've seen even on some more expensive guitars. I was also surprised by the size of the case! I used to have a Tokai Explorer back in the mid 90's and I used to refer to its case as the "Coffin" and this one certainly rivals it. I had to move a few things around to fit the Moderne in with my other guitars, but the good part is things are a little better organized now.

Speaking of the case, I like the brochure included that shows the other models available, plus what I was genuinely surprised by was the included guitar cable. I thought that was a nice touch. This company has a pretty unique naming scheme for their models. They give the guitars names of famous players who have played instruments that Logical has done their own take on. For example, there's a guitar on the Logical website called "Duane" and the guitar looks like the Les Paul that he played with the Allman Brothers, there's a bass called "Geddy", and so on. This company is less than two years old and I think if they continue to build guitars and basses of the quality they have now with the more than reasonable prices they're asking, they'll be going quite far. This Moderne for example cost me $399.00 Canadian *including* the case! Talk about bang for the buck. Here are the photos I took of the guitar (including one of my nosy cat.)

Here's my Maine Coon cat, Samson (looking up at the ceiling for some reason) and the closed case:
SamsonAndModerneCase.jpg

Open case and the Moderne:
ModerneInCase.jpg

On the couch:
ModerneOnCouch1.jpg

On the chair:
ModerneOnChair.jpg

Side view:
ModerneSideView.jpg

Rear view:
ModerneOnCouch2.jpg

Headstock and serial number:
ModerneSerialNumber.jpg

Moderne on top of the case one:
ModerneOnCase.jpg

Moderne on top of the case two:
ModerneOnCase2.jpg

If you want to check out the other guitars in their line-up the website is http://www.logicalguitars.com/

Kenmac said:
Here's my Maine Coon cat, Samson (looking up at the ceiling for some reason) and the closed case:
SamsonAndModerneCase.jpg

Cats love cases. When I leave my case open, my cat only needs a minute to replace my guitar.

felixcatus said:
Kenmac said:
SamsonAndModerneCase.jpg

Cats love cases. When I leave my case open, my cat only needs a minute to replace my guitar.

Yep, I know all about that. :) He's a little spoiled though because he's got a carrying bag with faux fur lining in it so he's not as interested in the case as he would be if he didn't have the bag.

SamsonAndModerneCase.jpg

Cat: I can't believe you spent the cat flap money to buy another guitar - I can't even look at you anymore...I hate you man!

Wow these guitars look very nice and come with Wilkinson parts stock, not bad for less than $500. How's the quality ????

brokentoes said:
Wow these guitars look very nice and come with Wilkinson parts stock, not bad for less than $500. How's the quality ????

Thanks. It's a pretty high quality guitar and the playability is quite good as well. I still think it's interesting, if a little strange, that when both pickups are selected on this guitar that it sounds like a Strat in position 2. (The classic "out of phase" sound.) But that's one of the unique things about this guitar I suppose. :)

Do they still have those at Steve's ? I don't see that model on their website or on the Logical website.

fuzztone said:
Do they still have those at Steve's ? I don't see that model on their website or on the Logical website.

They do have Logicals at Steves but not the Moderne. The last time I was there I saw a really nice thinline Telecaster made by them. Terry (the owner of Logical Guitars) told me via e-mail that the Modernes were limited edition guitars. You can always contact them on their website. If you do get one, post some photos of it here. Good luck.

Kenmac said:
fuzztone said:

They do have Logicals at Steves but not the Moderne. The last time I was there I saw a really nice thinline Telecaster made by them. Terry (the owner of Logical Guitars) told me via e-mail that the Modernes were limited edition guitars. You can always contact them on their website. If you do get one, post some photos of it here. Good luck.

Thanks for your help. Looks like a really cool guitar,congrats on getting yours! I will send an email to Logical and see what they say.

Back