Bacchus DUKE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sneakyjapan said:
However good you believe it to be, you...and I...are still just gaijins...so careful how suggestions are worded...theres a very fine line between suggestion and insult. I have been here 18 years and learned my place, sometimes it`s just better to keep my mouth shut, especially when my wife is with me...I see her get uncomfortable sometimes...this is not North America where we are taught to speak out minds, quite the opposite...they are not supposed to question anything that comes from people above, so if it were me...I`d just change out the toggle and let sleeping dogs lie...you have a good relationship with them now, better not risk that...just my suggestion. If you use the word ditch, they`ll have to look it up in the dictionary and find out it`s that thing beside the road and possibly won`t be able to put 2 and 2 together, they may think thats where you think their guitars should be left, hard to say just what they`ll think, but I follow the KISS moto...Keep It Simple Stupid when I am communicating with them.

Good advice!

I've fallen foul of the communication issues several times - the channels just go silent, no replies at all.

Somebody else (Japanese) who used to be on here mentioned that if a Japanese person is having trouble understanding you they will often just not communicate anymore rather than seeking clarification.

That's very interesting about looking words up in the dictionary, us gaijins just don't realise how confusing english can be.

Mitch Malloy said:
Well thank you that is a huge compliment. There is much about this country that I really don't like and that attitude is one of the things. I feel much more at home in Europe. And the thing I love about the Japanese culture is that they take pride in what they do. America used to be like that. BUt I don't see it much anymore here. This place now is just about take take take whatever you can get and don't worry about who gets in your way. It's terrible.

You wouldn't be slagging off the economists' wet dream free market would you? :lol:

Yeah sorry, it's a cheap shot now, after the events of the last few years, but it would be good if those in power could try and remember what's happened.

JVsearch said:
I've fallen foul of the communication issues several times - the channels just go silent, no replies at all.

Somebody else (Japanese) who used to be on here mentioned that if a Japanese person is having trouble understanding you they will often just not communicate anymore rather than seeking clarification.

That's very interesting about looking words up in the dictionary, us gaijins just don't realise how confusing english can be.

Heh heh I've had the same experience. Thanks for explaining that.

JohnA said:
Great post Mitch. Accross the world Americans are stereotyped as arrogant and unaware of anything that doesn't happen on their doorstep, it's good to see that you, and just about all of the other TF forum members from the US don't fit the stereotype at all.

fwiw, the vast majority of americans i've met on forums didn't live up to that stereotype, either.

Not a major fan of stereotypes, I mean I'm from northern ireland and i don't drink. :lol:

Thats why I need to have non Japanese friends ... I just have to speak normal English regularly, theres no doubt my spelling has suffered since coming here, I have been keeping things as simple as possible for so long that I am forgetting some of my mother tongue...web sites help too. I felt really odd using Jinglish for the first couple of years here, but I had to adapt to make myself understood... now, when I go home it sometimes comes out and my friends and family give me strange looks...you know, adding vowels where there arenPt any and omitting some when there are...but growing up with a French Canadian father who spoke broken English and a British mum who spoke broken French, it is not entirely brand new to me...not to mention a Japanese wife. Still, we do a number on the Japanese language as well eh...I just try to tell my students, making yourself understood is a better goal than trying to speak perfect English...hell, I don`t recommend the English web to anybody here trying to learn the language..I`d be too embarrassed by mistakes native speakers often make.

Evertune video

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2011/08/31/wolf.technovation.evertune.cnn?hpt=hp_c2

Nice post sneaky, that has some good advice I can relate to. I have been here about 9 years off and on since 1993 and also am married to a Japanese. I used to teach English in Fukushima and then ended up working as a translator for a big trading company here before leaving to do other things for the last 8 years, and now I am back. My brother has been here since 1992 straight up to now and is a professional jazz musician here.

I always found the best way to handle any major problems were through interemediaries and being very indirect. Make no mistake you can always take the direct road later when the first approaches bear no fruit.
I have bought a lot of stuff on Yahoo Japan here and always make sure to write that I am not Japanese so there may be some mistakes or un-natural writing in my messages and that seems to give me some slack.

Yes, drinking with non-Japanese is a good way to relieve stress and remember how to speak!

Many ex pats have in fact left Sendai and gone back home mostly due to the Fukushima problem, lots of language schools are looking for teachers but I`m kinda burned out on that...still doing a few lessons a week but mostly selling guitars on line and planning for the day when we will return home. There`s a small pub like place that opens up an entire wall of windows in the hot seasons so for us non smokers it`s great to just step outside and enjoy a beer, I don`t go during the cold season when the doors remain closed...they do like to puff up here.

Kenny Greenburg the legendary session guitarist was here in my studio yesterday and played the Duke. Loved it he was also blown away by the Evertune on the custom.

Finally one of those black top Edwards I mentioned earlier in this thread has showed up...don`t pay any attention to the assumptions written in the thread...I saw those in Japan in the early/mid `00s and that truss rod cover as well...but I liked the color combination then and I like it now...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/156556-help-identify-my-eddie-lp.html

sneakyjapan said:
Finally one of those black top Edwards I mentioned earlier in this thread has showed up...don`t pay any attention to the assumptions written in the thread...I saw those in Japan in the early/mid `00s and that truss rod cover as well...but I liked the color combination then and I like it now...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/156556-help-identify-my-eddie-lp.html

Real nice

So how are the assumptions wrong?
You seem to show you know as little about it as everyone else does, right?
Fact of the matter is, it is the only one seen by most people and plenty of us are on Yahoo etc daily.
I would say it is a rare guitar

It's good to have first hand experience but 'seeing' those 'early/mid '00s' doesn't really say anything. So how would it be wrong thinking that one is late 90s? I would like to know too.

I`m just a pompous jerk of an old man...but when I saw them they were tagged as new models. You could always come to Japan and ask the shop staff though.
I`ll leave the name calling to you guys.

"...Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 am Post subject:
No problems Marcus, we don't all have to agree!..."

sneakyjapan said:
I`m just a pompous jerk of an old man...but when I saw them they were tagged as new models. You could always come to Japan and ask the shop staff though.
I`ll leave the name calling to you guys.

Don't you see that you are implying to have the knowledge about these models when saying not to pay attention to the ones being specific about origin and subsequently being aspecific yourself?

When I saw them in Japan they were tagged as new models at the time here in the local Big Boss store...if you want to read stuff into that well, I don`t have any control over that. The only knowledge I have is what I saw, I just don`t jump to conclusions as quickly as some...when did you see that model in Japan?
I have two of the LP type Edwards from the Duncan series, neither have serials...one is a 1 piece back the other 2 pieces...got them both used in `03, 2002 is the first year I see those in my ESP catalogues...the E-LP-84SD model...the ones I have...there was an up-charge for p`up covers and pick guards...came in 3 colors...violin honey burst, like I have...gold top and cherry...that year, which if I remember was the first for them, in my catalogue they are listed along side other Edwards models with the logo they used for that brand for a few years before they released the Duncan series...in 2002 there was also the custom model...E-LP-85CD in black and white...I have the single page flyer from the following year when they released other models...juniors, a 3 p`up custom among others.. I remember seeing the black top LP Duncan/Edwards locally...didn`t pay much attention because I only bought them used and had I seen a used one I would have picked it up and looked closely. Now...if you think I`m implying any special knowledge in this post theres nothing I can do about that...I can`t help what people think they see...what I write about MIJ guitars comes from the ones I actually own and/or see/have seen over here...none comes from what I read on line, some folks believe everything they read on the web, thats up to them. I read as much as I can as well, I just don`t rewrite it as fact I mean, I have always said and say to this day...even after all these years I still have many more questions than I do answers, some guys seem to think they have all the answers...I am not one of those.
So of you feel the need to call me more names by all means...feel free, I`m certain you haven`t exhausted yours entire list on me yet but I will sleep like a baby tonight...you know, I don`t know any members from any sites I visit, never met any and so do not consider any friends...acquaintances maybe, guys who share an interest in guitars but friends, no...mine are people I have actually met and known for years, don`t lose any sleep over what people on the inter net think about me, confidentially...I do have real problems to worry about.
That about covers it...not interested in mixing it up with you guys over this for pages and pages, sorry.

sneakyjapan said:

What did I do? My only comments in this thread were compliments to Mitch on this guitar

Back