Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bacchus DUKE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Bacchus/Momose/Deviser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However good you believe it to be, you...and I...are still just gaijins...so careful how suggestions are worded...theres a very fine line between suggestion and insult. I have been here 18 years and learned my place, sometimes it`s just better to keep my mouth shut, especially when my wife is with me...I see her get uncomfortable sometimes...this is not North America where we are taught to speak out minds, quite the opposite...they are not supposed to question anything that comes from people above, so if it were me...I`d just change out the toggle and let sleeping dogs lie...you have a good relationship with them now, better not risk that...just my suggestion. If you use the word ditch, they`ll have to look it up in the dictionary and find out it`s that thing beside the road and possibly won`t be able to put 2 and 2 together, they may think thats where you think their guitars should be left, hard to say just what they`ll think, but I follow the KISS moto...Keep It Simple Stupid when I am communicating with them.
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Ok that explains a few things. I have SHOWERED them with praise though so they know I love them. And they are fans. So they respect me very much. But when I first got the Duke I had been playing the Custom for a month and had gotten used to the slightly smaller neck on it and so the Duke Neck felt big and I told them so. And they were mortified and so apologetic. But then I spent a few days on the duke and got more used to it and told them so and that I LOVED it and that it was the best electric guitar I had ever owned and they were SO HAPPY. LOL they are SO nice. I mean SO NICE and so respectful. I even got cross with them one time and he was bending over backwards back peddling to make it right and again apologizing for making me mad. So I'd say everything is good. I never suggested they ditch anything. LOL And I most likely won't. I do think they are a fantastic company. I want one of their small bodied Acoustics and a strat and a special. Then Maybe I'll stop. LOL I have Greco Super real Jr that is fantastic sounding but now that I have the bacchus's it doesn't measure up quality wise. It sounds about as good as any jr I have ever heard in fact it smokes my 59 Gibson but I bet a Bacchus Special would blow it away feel wise and quality wise. And their Headway Acoustics look nice. I'm a big time acoustic snob. I've owned almost every high end acoustic I could get my hands on. But theirs look like they are right up there with the best of them. I'm having fun with these guitars. I really appreciate the advice though. I'll tread lightly from now on.
JohnA
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Malloy wrote:
LOL Ok that explains a few things. I have SHOWERED them with praise though so they know I love them. And they are fans. So they respect me very much. But when I first got the Duke I had been playing the Custom for a month and had gotten used to the slightly smaller neck on it and so the Duke Neck felt big and I told them so. And they were mortified and so apologetic. But then I spent a few days on the duke and got more used to it and told them so and that I LOVED it and that it was the best electric guitar I had ever owned and they were SO HAPPY. LOL they are SO nice. I mean SO NICE and so respectful. I even got cross with them one time and he was bending over backwards back peddling to make it right and again apologizing for making me mad. So I'd say everything is good. I never suggested they ditch anything. LOL And I most likely won't. I do think they are a fantastic company. I want one of their small bodied Acoustics and a strat and a special. Then Maybe I'll stop. LOL I have Greco Super real Jr that is fantastic sounding but now that I have the bacchus's it doesn't measure up quality wise. It sounds about as good as any jr I have ever heard in fact it smokes my 59 Gibson but I bet a Bacchus Special would blow it away feel wise and quality wise. And their Headway Acoustics look nice. I'm a big time acoustic snob. I've owned almost every high end acoustic I could get my hands on. But theirs look like they are right up there with the best of them. I'm having fun with these guitars. I really appreciate the advice though. I'll tread lightly from now on.

Great post Mitch. Accross the world Americans are stereotyped as arrogant and unaware of anything that doesn't happen on their doorstep, it's good to see that you, and just about all of the other TF forum members from the US don't fit the stereotype at all.
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you that is a huge compliment. There is much about this country that I really don't like and that attitude is one of the things. I feel much more at home in Europe. And the thing I love about the Japanese culture is that they take pride in what they do. America used to be like that. BUt I don't see it much anymore here. This place now is just about take take take whatever you can get and don't worry about who gets in your way. It's terrible.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes well we westerners have our stereotypes of the Japanese as well, I had em...and I believe to really get to know a culture you have to live in it...and I`ve done a 180 on most of what I thought I knew about the country. Seems to me the way they deal with problems here is pretend they don`t exist and hope they go away. They keep changing the Prime Minister but nothing changes...meet the new boss...same os the old boss...this country is in serious trouble but nobody seems to be aware of it.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:
However good you believe it to be, you...and I...are still just gaijins...so careful how suggestions are worded...theres a very fine line between suggestion and insult. I have been here 18 years and learned my place, sometimes it`s just better to keep my mouth shut, especially when my wife is with me...I see her get uncomfortable sometimes...this is not North America where we are taught to speak out minds, quite the opposite...they are not supposed to question anything that comes from people above, so if it were me...I`d just change out the toggle and let sleeping dogs lie...you have a good relationship with them now, better not risk that...just my suggestion. If you use the word ditch, they`ll have to look it up in the dictionary and find out it`s that thing beside the road and possibly won`t be able to put 2 and 2 together, they may think thats where you think their guitars should be left, hard to say just what they`ll think, but I follow the KISS moto...Keep It Simple Stupid when I am communicating with them.

Good advice!

I've fallen foul of the communication issues several times - the channels just go silent, no replies at all.

Somebody else (Japanese) who used to be on here mentioned that if a Japanese person is having trouble understanding you they will often just not communicate anymore rather than seeking clarification.

That's very interesting about looking words up in the dictionary, us gaijins just don't realise how confusing english can be.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Malloy wrote:
Well thank you that is a huge compliment. There is much about this country that I really don't like and that attitude is one of the things. I feel much more at home in Europe. And the thing I love about the Japanese culture is that they take pride in what they do. America used to be like that. BUt I don't see it much anymore here. This place now is just about take take take whatever you can get and don't worry about who gets in your way. It's terrible.

You wouldn't be slagging off the economists' wet dream free market would you?

Yeah sorry, it's a cheap shot now, after the events of the last few years, but it would be good if those in power could try and remember what's happened.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
I've fallen foul of the communication issues several times - the channels just go silent, no replies at all.

Somebody else (Japanese) who used to be on here mentioned that if a Japanese person is having trouble understanding you they will often just not communicate anymore rather than seeking clarification.

That's very interesting about looking words up in the dictionary, us gaijins just don't realise how confusing english can be.

Heh heh I've had the same experience. Thanks for explaining that.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:

Great post Mitch. Accross the world Americans are stereotyped as arrogant and unaware of anything that doesn't happen on their doorstep, it's good to see that you, and just about all of the other TF forum members from the US don't fit the stereotype at all.

fwiw, the vast majority of americans i've met on forums didn't live up to that stereotype, either.

Not a major fan of stereotypes, I mean I'm from northern ireland and i don't drink.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I need to have non Japanese friends ... I just have to speak normal English regularly, theres no doubt my spelling has suffered since coming here, I have been keeping things as simple as possible for so long that I am forgetting some of my mother tongue...web sites help too. I felt really odd using Jinglish for the first couple of years here, but I had to adapt to make myself understood... now, when I go home it sometimes comes out and my friends and family give me strange looks...you know, adding vowels where there arenPt any and omitting some when there are...but growing up with a French Canadian father who spoke broken English and a British mum who spoke broken French, it is not entirely brand new to me...not to mention a Japanese wife. Still, we do a number on the Japanese language as well eh...I just try to tell my students, making yourself understood is a better goal than trying to speak perfect English...hell, I don`t recommend the English web to anybody here trying to learn the language..I`d be too embarrassed by mistakes native speakers often make.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dave_Mc"]
JohnA wrote:

I mean I'm from northern ireland and i don't drink.

what?
one of my best mates here is Irish, it`s always fun to go drinking with him, we always have a good laugh.
cashcow
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evertune video

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2011/08/31/wolf.technovation.evertune.cnn?hpt=hp_c2
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post sneaky, that has some good advice I can relate to. I have been here about 9 years off and on since 1993 and also am married to a Japanese. I used to teach English in Fukushima and then ended up working as a translator for a big trading company here before leaving to do other things for the last 8 years, and now I am back. My brother has been here since 1992 straight up to now and is a professional jazz musician here.

I always found the best way to handle any major problems were through interemediaries and being very indirect. Make no mistake you can always take the direct road later when the first approaches bear no fruit.
I have bought a lot of stuff on Yahoo Japan here and always make sure to write that I am not Japanese so there may be some mistakes or un-natural writing in my messages and that seems to give me some slack.

Yes, drinking with non-Japanese is a good way to relieve stress and remember how to speak!
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many ex pats have in fact left Sendai and gone back home mostly due to the Fukushima problem, lots of language schools are looking for teachers but I`m kinda burned out on that...still doing a few lessons a week but mostly selling guitars on line and planning for the day when we will return home. There`s a small pub like place that opens up an entire wall of windows in the hot seasons so for us non smokers it`s great to just step outside and enjoy a beer, I don`t go during the cold season when the doors remain closed...they do like to puff up here.
Dave_Mc
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sneakyjapan wrote:

what?
one of my best mates here is Irish, it`s always fun to go drinking with him, we always have a good laugh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Bacchus/Momose/Deviser All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: