What is so Special about this Orville by Gibson?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffsGuitarWorld

Reaction score
Juat Curious.... What is so special about this Orville by Gibson Les Paul the price on eBay is above $2000.00 :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320737932420&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

CliffsComicWorld said:
Marcus.... Is it the Bidders/Buyers as well? :-?

Hahaha.... I didn't even notice the bidders.... I thought that was the seller's opening price......hahaha...... time to sell guitars!

Possible explanation:
3 people in US that have been after one of these guitars.
These 3 people are too cautious to buy from a foreign country or forum.
When this popped up it may have been seen as "my only chance"

I don't understand it - they're made in the same factory as some other Japanese brands, is it the name "Gibson" on the headstock? :lol:

I guess they are more rare though.

Well in Europe you can get a nice one from Villager for considerably less.

.... I think your right that it is partly the name Gibson on the headstock though and the Gibson history .........

Dave

I watched this one close out at $1600...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180697070376&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Item number: 180697070376

Edit: At least this one is a reissue.

As said quite a few posts back the first one dopes look like a 92 reissue from the serial number and it does look like it has FEB.

DaveWW said:
As said quite a few posts back the first one dopes look like a 92 reissue from the serial number and it does look like it has FEB.

Here's what the first one is...

92ObGLPS-TwLaminatedTigerMaple.jpg

The guitar in the OP has a Nashville bridge, Standard on the TRC, FEB(highly unlikely but possible) and Gibson TM490 pups.

The 92 59R(considered to be a reissue) has FEB, 57 Classic pickups, blank TRC, Abr-1 style bridge, black cavity covers.

When they started making reissues in 92 they had a model number 59R. They continued to make these through to 95. The 59R model was not shown in the 92 catalogue.

The 92 59R, 93 59R 57C and 57B were referred as reissued..pictuered below is the 93 catalogue.

59R.jpg

OK well it looks like it has FEB, an ABR and a G2 (Terada 92) reissue serial number to me. I'm certainly no OBG expert & happy to be proved wrong but your post hasn't changed my mind.

Dave

I would bet the guitar will be back in 1 or 2 weeks with the usual excuse " last buyer was not willing to pay"...but if not somebody perhaps bought a very expensive OBG.

BTW same seller offered a Gibson 60 RI and it sold for 500 less

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320714291484

DaveWW said:
OK well it looks like it has FEB, an ABR and a G2 (Terada 92) reissue serial number to me. I'm certainly no OBG expert & happy to be proved wrong but your post hasn't changed my mind.

Dave

I can't see the serial number Dave...so :)

Back