Bacchus CLASSIC series?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GammyBird said:
Ok...I though I posted this already but WTF, I'll do it again.

I just finished reading through all 20 pages of this thread and figured I'd post some pictures of the Bacchus Classic that is on the way from Japan now. Hopefully I'll have it in my hands by the middle of next week. I hope I'm as happy with it as Mitch is with his :)

eleking8829-img600x450-1310463786odjemm43075.jpg

eleking8829-img600x450-1310463786rejaw343075.jpg

eleking8829-img600x450-1310463786kvjic943075.jpg

Hi Gammy, I was down at Big Boss in Ochanomizu today where they have a few Classic plaintops and from the look of those you will not be disappointed. The necks are nice and beefy too so hopefully you will appreciate that.

Looking forward to the report.

I'm big on the slim profile necks because that's what I've always played. But I've been playing my Dillion 58 Explorer lately getting used to the beefy neck. I'm sure once I plug it in I'll appreciate it much more :)

Here is the Custom with the Evertune. Which I have to say is the best thing since the guitar itself. Simply amazing and the guitar is like a piano now. Rings lik crazy. And the best intonation I have ever heard on any guitar. And climate change doesn't effect it. The AC does nothing to it. It came from L.A. to Nashville I took it out of the case and started recording. Perfectly in tune. Freaky. And man do you get spoiled fast. Pick up another guitar and it's like OH MAN THIS THING IS WAY OUT OF TUNE! I have to say the stock Pu's also are working great. I've been recording this guitar for 3 days now. It's versatile. Big and bright and great for that clean articulate sound and then great for crunch and also great for solo's. It's the most versatile guitar I own.
The Duke is going to have to be amazing to beat it and I would bet I will have EverTune installed on that right away as well. If I love it. If I don't it's going up for sale.

4c3508a6.jpg

My guitars are all down a half step with 11's and yesterday I needed to do a drop D on the low E so it was actually C# just for a few chords and riffs on this one song and my action is fairly low on this guitar and that C# rang like a bell. I was very impressed. This guitar now really blows away the Standard. I already liked it better without EverTune but that bridge puts it in a new league.

It's the hair. :) And the new guitars keeps me young. And the makingnodnmybnew cd is really making me happy. So
much work but so worth it.

So the big question for me is, do these have that classic Les Paul sound? the endless sustain, the note bloom, the woodiness?

Hassouni said:
So the big question for me is, do these have that classic Les Paul sound? the endless sustain, the note bloom, the woodiness?

Well, that also depends upon the amp, effects, etc....

From a generic sense, plugged straight into the amp with no overdrive, the simple answer would be yes. However, I find the Bacchus pickups to be a bit darker than most.... just as clear and bell like, but darker.

Friend of mine just bought a Gibson 50th anniversary R9 for around $5,000 and almost cried after he played mine for a bit.

Hassouni said:
Does it sound loud and resonant unplugged?

Sure.. rings like a bell... you can also feel the resonance thru the body and the neck. Mind you though, it's a solid maple top (not veneer) and a one piece back.... I do think that makes a difference to some degree...

Then I went a step further and installed the Faber locking alum tailpiece/studs and the ABR bridge with brass saddles/locking posts and it took a good thing and enhanced it even further. I put the Faber stuff on all of my Les Pauls because it really does make a difference.

Shortly before I bought the Classic Series Bacchus, I bought a brand new Tokai LS150 (now an LS165 I believe)... I've done extensive side by side comparisons to them. The Bacchus neck is fatter, they both weigh about the same at 9.25 lbs and as mentioned, the Bacchus is darker sounding while the Tokai is a bit brighter. The Bacchus pickups are more balanced in output than the Tokai's... neck on the Tokai (as most humbucking guitars) can get a bit boomy and loud in contrast to the bridge pickup. The Bacchus has a unique sweet spot when playing in the middle position...if I adjust the volume / tone just right for both pickups, I get a very honky, almost T Bone Walker or Peter Green tone out of it.

marcusnieman said:
Sure.. rings like a bell... you can also feel the resonance thru the body and the neck. Mind you though, it's a solid maple top (not veneer) and a one piece back.... I do think that makes a difference to some degree...

How's that aspect in comparison to your Tokai?

Hassouni said:
marcusnieman said:

How's that aspect in comparison to your Tokai?

The Tokai is a plaintop... solid as well. One piece back..... between the two, the Bacchus is more resonant unplugged and the decay of a chord is longer plugged in.... but, the Tokai pickups (MKII's) are very lively and it makes up for any unplugged resonance... besides, I don't play either unplugged. The LS150 (165 now) is a keeper for sure. I'd put it up against a Gibson any day... that's why I bought it. The Bacchus came along not long after I got the Tokai and it was an impulse buy.... about $600 more than the Tokai too..... but the quality is there. I was going to sell the Tokai to finance the Bacchus... just can't bring myself to sell it.

Hassouni said:
did you get your Tokai used? Because new, isn't the Bacchus cheaper?

No...bought the Tokai brand new from Japan a couple years ago - about $1300 delivered

The Bacchus was about $1900 delivered. The plaintop is a bit less expensive.

marcusnieman said:
Hassouni said:

No...bought the Tokai brand new from Japan a couple years ago - about $1300 delivered

Ah, yeah, the yen has got really strong in the last year or so. ****.

Hassouni said:
marcusnieman said:
Hassouni said:

Ah, yeah, the yen has got really strong in the last year or so. ****.

Sure has.... the current LS150 (160) is going for about $1700 USD on Kurosawa's site. You'll never be able to sell it for that much as well... crappy time to buy from Japan and a crappy time to sell anything with the economy being in the dumps. It's a buyer's market for used gear.... just depends on how badly someone needs to sell something.

marcusnieman said:
Then I went a step further and installed the Faber locking alum tailpiece/studs and the ABR bridge with brass saddles/locking posts and it took a good thing and enhanced it even further. I put the Faber stuff on all of my Les Pauls because it really does make a difference.

Hey Marcus. Where did you get your parts from. I'm considering doing some upgrades with my Bacchus. I'm really curious as to how much of a difference it will make to it.

GammyBird said:
marcusnieman said:

Hey Marcus. Where did you get your parts from. I'm considering doing some upgrades with my Bacchus. I'm really curious as to how much of a difference it will make to it.

Makes a big difference. Over in Europe, you'll get your Faber gear from:

http://www.tokaiguitar.de/produkte.php?kategorie=2-2

Back