My # 1

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks 3rd Stone, it is my #1 that for sure.
Hey Mikey I have to agree it is below an LS80, however I have an LS80 that does not have the 80 at the last Fret and have seen others as well that were like that.

Phantom

I was thinking about this - would something below an 80 have a flamed top like that? Even if some Berk at the factory ordered it painted black? How many pieces is the body and what's the headstock angle?

I never knew there were any 80's and up sans number but it makes sense.

I'll show you some new shots of my No.1 soon - be prepared, it'll blow your bollocks off!! ;-)

Alright boys dont forget the Phantom started this. Everybody bring on your number 1's........................Come on let's see what you got.

Bring it on Mikey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom

LOL!

I can't post pix yet P., as I only got a iPod here but be patient.

Jacco'll entertain you in the meantime with that killer LS100 of his......Take it away the J-man!

I'm waiting boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PHANTOM HAS RETURNED ONCE AGAIN

Phantom

Phantom, that is an absolutely gorgeous guitar. I'm very glad to hear you find your #1 axe. Now we just need a video/audio comparison between your Tokai and your mate's Gibbo :D

I recently acquired Alan's wonderful 1980 Reborn Old LS-80... it's been my #1 since. absolutely love it! Have to agree with Mikey though, I dig the bass pickup more than the bridge pickup...

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

(it has far more visible grain than you'll see in these pictures)

Absolutely Awesome Emiel. I do have a similar LS80. It does sound great too. Can someone for the love of God show this poor guy how to post pictures without a link? That would be very helpful. I'n the next week or so I'm gonna try to get some audio for everyone.

Phantom

spikeymikey said:
Surely P., it must be below an LS80 if it has no number at the end of the fretboard?

It's a Love Rock, they don't have those numbers pressed in at the last fret.

Amazing guitar, and great job revealing its true beauty!

Aahhhh.......that's it, I knew I was missing something even as I posted. Did the "Reborn Old" series have the number impressed?

Amazing how some Berk couldn't live without "Gibson" on the headstock? ;-)

Hey Emiel - glad you got a Reborn - it looks great!! Show us some details :)

spikeymikey said:
Did the "Reborn Old" series have the number impressed?

Not very likely. They probably stopped doing that with the start of Reborn Old:
The last Reborn I've documented is 0007430 and the first Reborn Old I've documented is 0007503. The 0007503 doesn't have the model impressed in the fingerboard. I don't have enough pics of 0007430 to make out what they did there, 0007400 though does have the model impressed in the fingerboard for sure.

Emiel said:
Phantom, that is an absolutely gorgeous guitar. I'm very glad to hear you find your #1 axe. Now we just need a video/audio comparison between your Tokai and your mate's Gibbo :D

I recently acquired Alan's wonderful 1980 Reborn Old LS-80... it's been my #1 since. absolutely love it! Have to agree with Mikey though, I dig the bass pickup more than the bridge pickup...

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

(it has far more visible grain than you'll see in these pictures)

Very, very nice Emiel. This one oozes class!

spikeymikey said:
LOL!

I can't post pix yet P., as I only got a iPod here but be patient.

Jacco'll entertain you in the meantime with that killer LS100 of his......Take it away the J-man!

Ehm yeah but it ain't my no.1 (and only a LS80 :D)

DSC_0569_01.jpg

jacco said:
Ehm yeah but it ain't my no.1 (and only a LS80 :D)

.........oh Christ.......so what
is then!!??

And what do you mean only an LS80? I reckon the eightys a better deal - solid, non-veneered top and no goddamn Dimarzios!

My LPs are all in a stand and I just pick the one that matches my mood best at that moment. They're like children, they all get equal love :D. So I thought. I find myself picking up this one most lately.

DSC_0944_01.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! I'm still very pleased I went for the 'old guitar' route. Ps nothing's special about my LS-80 Mikey, it is all original apart from new CTS pots and Faber hardware. I might look into some PAF style pickups soon or later though!

Phantom, you need to use the IMG button when entering your message. Place IMG before and /IMG behind your link and your pictures will show up.

Jacco, that Les Paul (a Greco?) is one of the nicest looking Les Paul's I've seen.. it has taken over the place of the white Custom?

jacco said:
My LPs are all in a stand and I just pick the one that matches my mood best at that moment. They're like children, they all get equal love :D. So I thought. I find myself picking up this one most lately.

DSC_0944_01.jpg

you lucky bugger - some of us have only got one!!

I'm guessing from the shape of the horn on this stunner that it's not a Tokai but a Greco??????? ;-) Please tell.......[/i]

It's a late 1980 Greco EGF1800, S/N 0 8123.
I've bought it in original condition incl. OHSC but changed the zinc alloy TP and bridge to further not named german brand hardware :)
It has a 1P back which is certainly not the norm for EGF1800s, weighs 4.25 kg. Further specs:
- Dry Zs with S/N 201121
- nut width 44.14mm
- neck thickness at 1st fret 23.83mm
- neck thickness at 11th fret 25.81 mm

Jacco your killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats the type of flame I love, very subtle. I'm not a huge fan of the 120 and up I guess because of the veneer tops, just a preference. There werent really many 59 bursts that had crazy flame on them.
I love my LS80's, looking for the right Greco!!!Seems like you have it Jacco

JV, thanks for the comment, means alot coming from a heavyweight like yourself.

OMG Mikey-----------thank you for the forum posting lesson, your a champ!

Fella's would love to see more.
Jacco will we ever know what your #1 really is?

Back