Near mint '79 Springy Sound ST-50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Senior Gonzo

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been a long time reader of the forum, but I finally got around to registering, so I thought I'd share pictures of my Springy. I got it last year in Japan for 20,000 yen. Couldn't believe the condition. It even came with the original case, price tag, trem arm, and extra springs.
IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1996.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2016.jpg

Super nice deal on that one, they are excellent guitars from my experience.
I don't think that is an original Tokai case but at that price you made out like a bandit anyway.

Great deal...I was in Ochanomizu last week-end and didn`t see anything that interested me, guess it has become too popular now, just isn`t the same as it was 10 years ago. But 20K for that beauty was a steal. Where`d you get it in Japan?

Yeah, it's surprisingly hard to find older guitars in Ochanomizu. There's not a lot of used stuff anyway.
I found it at some random recycle shop. I wasn't even looking for guitars, but I couldn't let it pass by. It was somewhere off the Seibu-Ikebukuro line...I can't remember exactly.

Japanesevintage said:
Some would say 'rift sawn' (between 30 & 60 degrees). :wink:

I stand corrected then. Looking at the headstock alone, that grain looks straight (also down the fretboard like at the stamp on the last fret). The only angle is noticeable at the butt of the neck.

Back