Jazz Sound... Please help date

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fleafunk

Reaction score
hey guys,

please could someone help me a approximate dating on my jazz sound...

thanks, pics below...

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

ok cool, thanks man...

could you tell me what the original machine heads (tuners) looked liked as i would like to restore it to original...

thanks again.

Fleafunk said:
ok cool, thanks man...

could you tell me what the original machine heads (tuners) looked liked as i would like to restore it to original...

thanks again.

Can you remove one tuner and take a pic so I can see the screw pattern?
Otherwise it'll be hard to know what tuners it had.

I recognise the music store in the photos....Juan, is this you :D

Lovely looking guitar.

Fleafunk said:
ok cool, thanks man...

thanks again.

I'm rather late to the party, but it looks pretty similar to my white Tokai JB45.

Mine came with (historically) the wrong tuners completely :( (based on '70s P Bass ones. See below ...)

Tuners_01_small.jpg

These were mostly used on the Tokai Hard Puncher (P Bass copies) series, but seem to have found their way onto a few Jazz Sounds, too :-? . Recently, I swapped them for a set of Hipshot 'Vintage' tuners, which not only look more like the period-correct Fender tuners, but work very smoothly :) ...

DSC_3165.jpg

DSC_3163.jpg

If you look closely, you might see that the headstock logo differs slightly on mine, but that is just yet another wonderful anomaly of Tokai instruments from the period 8).

Anyway, I love this bass, whatever historical inaccuracies it may have. I hope that you now feel the same way about yours

DSC_3162.jpg

(P.S. The bridge in the photo above is a Hipshot Vintage one, which I was just testing out - the standard, vintage one is now back on it).

Latest posts

Back