strings break a lot on my '84 goldstar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris barany

Reaction score
hey all,

i just got an absolutely gorgeous seafoam green 1984 goldstar sound. i had it set up by a shop in toronto whom i consider to be the best. they did a good job of setting up the tremolo and action. it plays and sounds amazing.

just one thing: i've broken more strings on this thing in two months than i've broken in literally years on my gibson sg. the strings always break in the same spot: at the bridge, with about and inch and 3/4 remaining on the ball end of the string. so, just where the string curves around on the bridge.

obviously there's got to be something a little un-kosher with the set-up. is there anything i can do without taking the guitar back to the shop? i hate being without this thing.

thanks!

Sounds like a burr on that saddle. Take a fine file and use it to clean up that area and soften the cutting edge.

Failing that, Graphtech saddles.

I think its most likely to be breaking where it exits the Bridge Plate, not on the saddle. Some Bridge Plate holes have a slight counter-sink to them which helps, as otherwise the angle and stress on the string at that point is quite extreme. Check there first, and maybe releive the sharp edge with a fine needle file, or if you are handy, remove the saddles and add a slight counter-sink yourself with a counter-sink drill.

well, i've filed down the saddles as the strings have been breaking, and so far so good; it's been a few weeks now without a break, and i've been hammering the thing.

so thanks for the advice
[/i]

Use Nut Sauce! Another option is Graph Tech saddles. I installed Graph Tec saddles on my '83 Love Rock, I also apply Nut Sauce with every string change (at the nut and bridge - under string trees too if you have 'em). I rarely if ever break strings on this guitar now and it stays in tune almost perfectly. I bend wildly and sweat like a pig, so I'm definitely a worst case!

Nut Sauce: http://www.guitaristonly.com/
Graph Tech saddles: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/4partshardware.6bridgesstoptails.2guitarpiezosaddles/

Nut Sauce seems to be catching on. Many stores carry it now, including guitar center. It really does work! I use it on all of my guitars and the difference is signifcant.

thanks for the input there, ScottA. i've been swayed away from graphite saddles though. i've heard that what you gain in string-breakage problems, you lose in tone, and i'd rather break a string than sacrifice tone.

Nut Sauce looks like a great idea though. thanks!

btw, i just put Rio Grande's in another goldstar sound i own...pics coming soon in another thread.

Latest posts

Back