Tokai ES-335 type guitars (80s models and recent models)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
What are your opinions concerning the old 80s models (ES-100 and ES-150) against the new production models like (ES-160 and ES-185).

I've personally owned a ES-160 and ES-185, and have played an old ES-100, to be fair, they were all quite similar, except maybe for the ES-185 which I though was a little better in terms of playability and response.

What's your opinion?

Not a lot of ES experience, but played plenty of old and new Tokai Les Pauls, In terms of quality/playability/sound there's not a lot to choose between similar level models, a new LS150 is pretty much on par with a LS80 Reborn. I do prefer the old oned as I like my guitars a bit lived in.

I just prefer old Tokai necks over recent ones,it?s a different feel. One exception to this rule is LS-320 neck profile,I do love these with those frets.

Never played a modern Tokai ES, as my 1981 ES100RN gives me no reason to go looking around for another ES. It flat out kills, and the neck profile is very nice - slightly larger than the vintage Reborns I've owned...

Here she is...

ES100RN_01.jpg

Ditto Ryan, That's a beauty BTW - my faded cherry '81 is the best 335 type that I've played and that includes vintage Gibsons over many years. Nice fat neck, as you say, a bit chunkier than the Reborn LS80 and above.

Ditto all that. My 81 ES100J is by far, the best playing ES335 I've ever tried.... Gibsons included. 81 was a very good year for these... first year of introduction too.

Hey guys

Sorry if this is a hijack..trying to work out where to post this...

I'm off to China soon and in contact with a guy selling a 335 type, Navigator as100. Its an 80's model but thats all i know about it. The guy wants a $1000 for it. Anyone know these and could tell me anything about it?

front.jpg

headstock.jpg

back1.jpg

mohairhalo said:
Hey guys

Sorry if this is a hijack..trying to work out where to post this...

I'm off to China soon and in contact with a guy selling a 335 type, Navigator as100. Its an 80's model but thats all i know about it. The guy wants a $1000 for it. Anyone know these and could tell me anything about it?

If its got no issues, I'd say that's a very good price. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back