Urgent help needed

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesblues

Reaction score
I took delivery of my new Tokai ES 135 today. It should have been a happy occasion for me, but, here is what I found when I opened the box:

Both screws on the tail piece look like they have been chewed up with a screwdiver
DSC03023.jpg

DSC03020.jpg

The finish is faulty in the corner of the neck where it joins the body
DSC03025.jpg

Is this the standard I should expect from Tokai? Should this guitar be returned for a refund?

or am I just being picky?

Les

Not sure I'd have really noticed the finish fault at the side of the neck.... You haven't mentioned how it plays or sounds...?

If you do like it and as it was sold as new you could ask them to provide some new tail-piece studs. It may not have left tokai like that it could have been clumsily adjusted in the shop. If you use a totally wrong size screwdriver they're quite easy to damage.

DaveWW said:
Not sure I'd have really noticed the finish fault at the side of the neck.... You haven't mentioned how it plays or sounds...?

If you do like it and as it was sold as new you could ask them to provide some new tail-piece studs. It may not have left tokai like that it could have been clumsily adjusted in the shop. If you use a totally wrong size screwdriver they're quite easy to damage.

I noticed the finish right away, funnily enough I have the same thing, in the same place on my Sheraton. But I bought that 2nd hand and it is an Epiphone. I expected better from a new Tokai, having said that If that had been the only issue I would not be too upset. I love the way the guitar plays. I take on board what you say about the tail-piece studs. I guess I'm just annoyed that they sent it to me like that when a) the guitar was not cheap and b) it is a birthday present from my wife.

Do you know if it is normal to receive a certificate of authenticity with a new Tokai? There wasn't one with this guitar and what Diamond said before about the serial number denoting that the guitar was built in 2010 which should mean that the model number was ES 160 when it actually says es 135 is nagging at me a little.

Thanks for responding Dave

Les

The guitar tech in the shop you bought it from messed up those tailpiece screws.
Phone them up and see if they have any other Tokais in stock, ask for 2 new screws.

Remember, I suggested you buy from Richtone...the screws wouldn't look like that from Richtone, that's for sure.

I cant see what's wrong with the finish in the corner of the neck...are you sure it's not polish?

Tokais don't come with a certificate of authenticity, but they usually come with a Warranty card, in Japanese.

Anyway, it's an awesome guitar, all the best with it...if the screws bother you ask the shop for 2 new ones.

Well the main thing is that you like it :D

I'd ask the shop and Bob at Tokai UK about the model number. What Diamond says about the years and serial numbers appears correct and Bob or the shop may have the explanation. Anyway even though the model number changes they are all the same spec guitar. Sometimes UK models differ from those in Japan and other countries. The catalogue numbers sometimes roll mid year as we found out a while back so they don't immediately change which can put things out by a year.

I once bought an ES120 from Back Alley Music and I was worried that it didn't have it's red sticker which apparently had come off and been lost. I contacted Bob who new the history of the guitar and he got me a new sticker complete with a new serial number from Tokai. If something similar has happened here the guitar may be older than the serial number implies.

Dave

Do what Dave suggests.

Contact Bob, tell him your guitar has a 2010 serial number, it's the model with the block inlays, and ask him if he can organise a new red sticker for you with the ES160 stamp on it.

Thanks guys,

I already emailed Bob about the serial number/model number. May not get a response until tomorrow though.

I'd ask the shop and Bob at Tokai UK about the model number. What Diamond says about the years and serial numbers appears correct and Bob or the shop may have the explanation. Anyway even though the model number changes they are all the same spec guitar. Sometimes UK models differ from those in Japan and other countries. The catalogue numbers sometimes roll mid year as we found out a while back so they don't immediately change which can put things out by a year.
That makes sense.

Remember, I suggested you buy from Richtone...the screws wouldn't look like that from Richtone, that's for sure.
Remember, I said I would but they didn't have any in stock. :-?

I think I will take your advice chaps and try to get some new screws from the shop. The guitar sounds incredible and I love the shape of the neck. I'm just annoyed at the shoddy workmanship on my new baby!

Les

I received a reply from Bob at Tokai Guitars UK this morning about the 2010 serial number and the earlier model number. Bob said:

"Hi Les we keep the model numbers the same in the UK so when Japan change and put the prices up we keep ours the same"

So that puts my mind at rest on that score.

That's good news then :D Makes some sort of sense I guess since the guitars are made specifically for the UK presumably in agreed quantities which might take a while to sell. Meanwhile the model numbers roll up in Japan.

Any joy re. the tailpiece posts from the shop?

Dave

No response from them today. I emailed them, said that I wanted them to provide genuine Tokai replacements, and that Bob at Tokai thinks they have them in stock.

I also want them to pay for a set up, which was included in the sale price and has not been done properly. Strings 5 and 6 are rattling quite badly. Especially evident when played accoustically. So I doubt I'll hear from them tonight, tomorrows another day.

At least it is good news on the model/serial number. I just feel disappointed with the way the guitar has been sent out. You know how it is when you are gassing after something for a while. You want it to be perfect when it arrives. It's not like I bought second hand where less than perfect is acceptable. This guitar was sold as brand new and they made a big deal about the "professional set up". How difficult can it be to make sure you use the correct sized screw driver? Smacks of laziness to me.

Sorry, didn't mean to go into rant mode :oops:

Thanks for asking how things are going. I'll keep you posted.

Les

I agree that the tail-piece studs were almost certainly not wrecked by Tokai. As to the blemish by the neck, yes, that is unusual. But I imagine even Tokais must occasionally have flaws that don't get picked up in QC. It seems to be exceptionally rare though.

The question is whether you think it's a big enough deal to want a replacement.

I don't know if the UK model numbers are actually helping or hindering understanding of the Tokai line. I think tokai.de is taking a better approach by redefining the models by where they are placed in the line-up, rather than using older official product names.

Like this should be called an ES2B or something. 2nd from the top, but with block markers. Different from the ES2 which would be your ES155 with dots.

singemonkey said:
I agree that the tail-piece studs were almost certainly not wrecked by Tokai.

I haven't had to adjust the height of the tailpiece on any of the Tokais I've had, not one...I've never touched a tailpiece screw, they come set at the perfect height from the factory.
Whoever adjusted the tailpiece screws on this guitar during the "professional setup" knows not what he's doing. :D

Diamond said:
singemonkey said:
I agree that the tail-piece studs were almost certainly not wrecked by Tokai.

I haven't had to adjust the height of the tailpiece on any of the Tokais I've had, not one...I've never touched a tailpiece screw, they come set at the perfect height from the factory.
Whoever adjusted the tailpiece screws on this guitar during the "professional setup" knows not what he's doing. :D

The local Luthier http://www.rvguitars.co.uk/ I took the guitar to said the same thing. He used to own an ES 130. He was not at all impressed with the "professional set up" on my guitar and offered to help me with my interaction with the shop. He has also had dealings with Bob at Tokai guitars UK. He says Bob is a good bloke and that I should ask him to intercede with the shop.

I paid a premium for the guitar and a set up was included in that price. Basically I just want the shop to send me replacement screws for the tailpiece and pay for a proper set up to be done by a qualified person.

So far they have not responded to my email, sent yesterday and when I phoned today the manager was not available. I have been told he will phone me first thing tomorrow.

The saga continues.

Lesblues said:
Diamond said:
Lesblues

Was that neck "blemish" polish, did it rub off?

I tried to rub it off with a cloth, no luck. But that might be my big fat fingers!

I'm sure it's just some white polish that's hardened...or ask your tech to try buff it out.

Diamond said:
Lesblues said:
Diamond said:
Lesblues

Was that neck "blemish" polish, did it rub off?

I tried to rub it off with a cloth, no luck. But that might be my big fat fingers!

I'm sure it's just some white polish that's hardened...or ask your tech to try buff it out.

The tech did say he was fairly sure that it was polish compound. Once I sort matters with the shop I can give the guitar to my tech.

Well finally got to speak to the manager of the shop. Initially he only wanted to send out replacement studs but after some discussion he has also agreed to foot the bill for a proper set up to be done by my luthier.

I am officially a happy chappie! :D :D

Latest posts

Back