Excuse The Dating Question, But...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelT

Reaction score
Try as I might, I've not been able to figure out when and where this thing was made.
Maybe someone can help?
L2xx46 It's a Strat copy Tokai with a maple board.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Your first step should be to compare the headstock of your Tokai with the pictures at the bottom of this page:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/guitars.html

Mainly your looking at headstock logo (spaghetti, block, script, etc), model (Springy sound, Goldstar sound, etc) and shape (exact Fender or pointed).

Also look on the back of the guitar's neck for a small oval numbered sticker and on the underside of the pickups for any markings.

Cheers

James

Thanks, James.
I'd done that previously, but...it looks to have an '85 type headstock with '84 type lettering. I guess as they progressed, there were probably countless inconsistancies in between styles.
Just don't want to get involved in a frankenstein piece~

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Where in the world are you anyway? I don't think we got the reshaped headstocks in Europe at the time of Goldstars. Maybe its a USA thing? But I thought that when the headstock changed the name changed to say TST (like the bottom right pic in the 84 section), then later AST (top left in the 85 section)? Has anyone else seen a Goldstar with a pointed headstock?

James

Here it was (I missed it..):

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1522665542

Mike

Maybe that makes it one of the first to have the reshaped headstock?
I also noticed that the bottom right pic in the 84 part of the guitars page shows a reshaped headstock, TST56 model, but the 'T' on the logo is like a '7' even though its not a spaghetti logo (although it could be that someone has clipped off the end of the 'T' to make it look like that).

Latest posts

Back