Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ST 40...what's it's top value...???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...it's hard to show her true condition to be honest...I mean it's so good that under any lighting condition there is no spider webbing let alone actual scratches...I can only assume that she very rarely been played since new...there is also no fret wear...

I'm just waiting for someone to tell me Tokai are still making ST's with that headstock and logo and she's actually 2 years old...
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a site with more definitive information than the Tokai registry...??? I've been looking on the Strat dating page and there is at least one glaring error which I've asked about in the feedback forum but got no reply...!!!

I'm really not sure I trust what's on the site...!!!
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallmk1 wrote:
Does anyone know of a site with more definitive information than the Tokai registry...??? I've been looking on the Strat dating page and there is at least one glaring error which I've asked about in the feedback forum but got no reply...!!!

I'm really not sure I trust what's on the site...!!!

Dude, first off, relax.... we know you're excited about your new guitar and that's great. It's a fine guitar. Play it and don't fret so much about the pedigree...

If you stick around here long enough, you'll learn that Tokai (and many other brands) had oddities in their dating and that will always make identifying them an adventure. The guitar you have was in the transition years for Tokai and there might have been some cross over.... of course guitars could be made in 83 to sell in 84... don't forget, these Goldies were only around for a couple years and there's going to be overlap.

I can tell you that there is no other forum even close to this one in terms of Tokai info
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...lol...I'll chillout...

The point I was making about the registry is that it states that 83 gold stars have the script logo...but then it says that 83 gold stars have the block logo...it doesn't say that they could be either...

I'm just slightly concerned because although I've started with a lower end Tokai I'll be looking into a higher end Springy in the future...I just don't want to drop a grand plus on something that isn't what I though it was...!!!

I had to pull out of a deal on a high end Fender JV for around ?2K a few months ago so I'm still in the market for something worth ???'s...
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: A very sad day... Reply with quote

This is indeed a very sad day...not only did I find out that Gary Moore died a couple of months ago...not sure how I missed this...but I did...!!! (RIP) But also...The ST40 which has survived for 27 years without so much as a scratch...which I have owned for a mere 5 days has just come into contact with my bass...and OMFG...I've put a ding in the headstock...It's the first guitar I've ever owned which i've dinged...and it had to be the vintage one...!!! I could just cry right now...!!!

Why God...why did you do this to me...??? Was it because I put Homer Simpson before Jesus in my list of people that inspire me on Facebook...???

In the words of comic book store guy from The Simpsons...There is no emoticon to describe what I'm feeling right now...!!!!

Yes...a very sad day...
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: A very sad day... Reply with quote

Marshallmk1 wrote:
This is indeed a very sad day...not only did I find out that Gary Moore died a couple of months ago...not sure how I missed this...but I did...!!! (RIP) But also...The ST40 which has survived for 27 years without so much as a scratch...which I have owned for a mere 5 days has just come into contact with my bass...and OMFG...I've put a ding in the headstock...It's the first guitar I've ever owned which i've dinged...and it had to be the vintage one...!!! I could just cry right now...!!!

Why God...why did you do this to me...??? Was it because I put Homer Simpson before Jesus in my list of people that inspire me on Facebook...???

In the words of comic book store guy from The Simpsons...There is no emoticon to describe what I'm feeling right now...!!!!

Yes...a very sad day...

My man, relax..... dings do not harm the tone and playability of a guitar.... which is why we buy them, yes? It always stings when you put your first bruise on one....but remember this, there will be more... so look at it this way, you've removed some anxiety from putting a nick in it. Now, PLAY it!
Marshallmk1
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny thing...I've been playing 20 years or so now...since I picked up this guitar things have changed...I'm doing an online blues course and starting to dig playing again...amazed at how a quality guitar has affected my motivation...
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshallmk1 wrote:
It's a funny thing...I've been playing 20 years or so now...since I picked up this guitar things have changed...I'm doing an online blues course and starting to dig playing again...amazed at how a quality guitar has affected my motivation...

True dat!
storm
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fury_dice wrote:
Having owned both (still got the 50) I concur with mojo hobo; the differences are the tuners - 'Deluxe' on the 50, chrome on the 40, pickups - ceramic on the 40 versus alnico VII(?) - and on mine at least, Tokai stamped saddles as opposed to Final Prospec on the 50. Apart from that, all the woodwork, electrics and hardware seemed identical.

Hi did I get that right that your st50 has tokai stamped saddles?? if so what year is it, because someone once said on here that the guitar I was trying to identify had springy saddles and couldn't be a goldstar even though it blatently is a goldstar as all goldstars had final prospect stamped saddles (st 50)

See this is th eproblem I find with this site is some people are keen to point out that some guitars are not original which infact where prob built in crossover phase like others have mentioned
fury_dice
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storm wrote:

Hi did I get that right that your st50 has tokai stamped saddles?? if so what year is it, because someone once said on here that the guitar I was trying to identify had springy saddles and couldn't be a goldstar even though it blatently is a goldstar as all goldstars had final prospect stamped saddles (st 50)

See this is th eproblem I find with this site is some people are keen to point out that some guitars are not original which infact where prob built in crossover phase like others have mentioned

Storm - it was my ST40 (now sold) that had Tokai-stamped saddles but as I bought the guitar second-hand, I have no way of knowing for sure that they were original. Hope that clarifies things.
storm
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fury_dice wrote:
storm wrote:

Storm - it was my ST40 (now sold) that had Tokai-stamped saddles but as I bought the guitar second-hand, I have no way of knowing for sure that they were original. Hope that clarifies things.

Ah yes that does so it's still verdict out on the saddles then as neither of us can solidly confirm wether they are original. My friends 40 has no stamped saddles. Mine would be a fifty because of u pickups
rayq78
Power chords are my friend

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonah65 wrote:
she's a looker allright.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: