Burny RLC-75 + Hot Rod Deluxe = tonal nirvana!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneTimes2

Reaction score
Been playing with a loud group lately giving me power tube distortion with this set up. Wow! The tubes have all been changed and the speaker is a 1961 P12N, but the results are amazing, and I get regular compliments on my tone.

So what amps do you other Burny players use?

Nice amps, and site Jim. You're a busy guy aint ya? I still want a Marshall type amp like that myself, but I lack the funds and knowlege. What avenue do you reccomend I take to get one?

Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words!

Probably the easiest way to get that kind of tone without a huge cash outlay is to pick up an old Traynor Bassmaster head. The circuitry is quite close to the classic tweed Bassman/JTM45 and sounds pretty great as is. With a few tweaks you can have an identical circuit and tone to die for! Making a few modifications to an amp like that is a great way to learn, too.

There are a number of sites I've spent a lot of time at over the 7 or 8 years or so that are really helpful. Have a look at these and be prepared to get sucked in. :)

Jim

Hi Jim ? this is completely off topic (since I don?t have a Burny), but just checked your website ? Very Neat! Your musical influences are fairly similar to mine (well, same stuff as most guitar guys), although I never really noticed Jimmy Page & I don?t really know the US guys at all (except Roy Buchanan & original bluesmen like Freddie King & Otis Rush).

But I was just recently going back over some early Clapton stuff, & that 1964-65 Yardbirds material is interesting for the way you can hear Clapton?s tone & phrasing in 64 & how similar it is to his subsequent playing on Beano in 66 (eg on tracks like Got To Hurry and I Ain?t Got You, albeit using a Tele instead of Les-P). Similarly, you can hear the roots of Beck?s more experimental style right there in 65-66.

You say Beck lost you on the more Jazzy stuff, but what about Wired & Blow by Blow, you don?t list those,?but Beck?s best two albums imho? I understand why you?re not keen on too much Jazzy stuff, but if you haven?t heard it then try listening to Alan Holdsworth?s playing on the Gong album ?Gazeuse? (Virgin rec. 1976) ? it?s not a fashionable or celebrated record & it?s a long time since I played it, but as I recall Holdsworth?s playing is simply beautiful & influenced me to get more jazzy bits into my playing. Agree too about Mick Ronson on Ziggy Stardust album (great seminal album), not so much his playing, but his tone is fantastic :-? .

Eh,?apologies to ToneTimes2 for the off-topic diversion.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Yeah, I should be more tolerant in my tastes, but the thing that sets me apart from most of the guitar guys I know is that I'm an opinionated *******. :) My tastes are so "flat earth" it's not funny. I truly relish the time when dinosaurs roamed the earth wearing their huge flares and lugging their Marshall stacks. :)

I have to admit that I really don't like anything Jeff Beck played post-Beckola, ok, "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" is nice but I don't get Wired at all. Being "flat earth" boy I don't understand why anyone needs seven notes when five will do perfectly well. :)

I love Mick Ronson's playing and choice of notes, a perfect player in my opinion. There's just so many people out there who are so technically gifted and such amazing technical players...and I hate them all. :) Long live the Chuck Berry's of the world!

Jim

Hey folks. I just got my Burny RLG 90 last week. It's a plain top deluxe, from the early 90s and it's just awesome. The whole guitar rings hey you play it unplugged. Plugged in, it's pretty darn good. The sound is a bit thin for my taste, but I plan on upgrading it at some point with Wagner Fillmores. I play a Bassman RI Ltd and a Carvin BelAir 212 and just picked up a G-DEC from Fender to practice with.

Here's a link to the Burny

http://tinyurl.com/9e4w5

Yea, even though there were Deluxes made with full-sized buckers, I think this is more of a Custom than a Deluxe. I don't think the man really knew what it was. He has several available at any given time. I was just looking on the web for others like it and I, for one, am pretty convinced it's a custom.

Oh..and thanks!

Gibson, to my knowledge anyway, made no Deluxes with full size humbuckers. Many Deluxes were routed out for full size hums by owners after purchasing them however. This was a big craze during the 70s since the Deluxes sold for significantly less money yet retained the same specs of the Standards, the only difference being the pickups.

One sure way to tell if it's a Custom is if it has binding on the back of the body.

ToneTimes2 said:
Gibson, to my knowledge anyway, made no Deluxes with full size humbuckers. Many Deluxes were routed out for full size hums by owners after purchasing them however.
They made a couple of "Standards" during the Deluxe years though, which were routed for full-size HBs in the factory. The first of these was produced in 1975, I think, and they could be specially ordered from then on.

I'm not sure if they had the "Deluxe" trussrod cover or a "Standard" cover. Either way, they were essentially Deluxes that were routed for full-size HBs (the "Standard" wasn't officially available during those years)

"ArthurSThey made a couple of "Standards" during the Deluxe years though, which were routed for full-size HBs in the factory. The first of these was produced in 1975, I think, and they could be specially ordered from then on.

I'm not sure if they had the "Deluxe" trussrod cover or a "Standard" cover. Either way, they were essentially Deluxes that were routed for full-size HBs (the "Standard" wasn't officially available during those years)

Right, but the distinguishing feature of Deluxes was not the pancake body, or the three piece neck or anything but the pickups. The first Deluxes, around late 1968, had P90s, but changed to the minihumbuckers not long after.

They sound great clean, IMO the best clean humbucker there is. They're also very versatile. For many years all I owned was a Deluxe and I never felt like I was missing anything.

Boy this thread sure went of track, didn't it? Let's hear more about the amps we're using with our Burnys!

Latest posts

Back