How can I tell if this Bacchus SG, Tele and LP is MIJ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toybitz

Reaction score
sorry, am finding it hard via google..

here are the pictures of the SG, I will post the tele pics as soon as I receive them.

sg4.jpg

sg3.jpg

sg2.jpg

sg.jpg

sg5.jpg

welp, the Universe series I`ve seen were certainly MIC.
I have seen Bacchus LPs without serials on the back of the headstock in local used gear shops. First time I saw one I asked to look under the control plate and found pots that were not Japanese...I own quite a few from the original series under the Bacchus name and all of them have Noble pots and serials on the neck plate or back of the headstock, so when I saw what looked like MIK electronics, I passed...after they stopped making original series, then started making them again a couple of years later, some things changed with the Bacchus guitars...originally the Brians were not MIJ and they said so with small sticker somewhere on the guitars. They made Jayros as well and those that I saw were not MIJ either...so just what is up with these Bacchus guitars that do not have Noble pots is a mystery to me. I know they outsource some Bacchus guitars now as well, so if I were interested in these guitars, I`d need to see pics of the pots, all of mine have MIA steel switches as well, so pics would be very important for me.

The Tele wont be MIJ, but the other two are more likely to be Japanese.

The story I was told about serial numbers was that the runs of Bacchus guitars made for shops often had slightly different specs as requested by the retailer and didn't have serial numbers.

Regarding Brian and Jayro I was under the impression that Brian started off as the lower cost line to the Vintage Series and was MIJ, but then quickly moved offshore. Jayro was never MIJ AFAIK as well.

Then there were apparently some early Bacchus guitars that didn't have serial numbers either. I have seen a few on Yahoo Japan without serial numbers but sellers insist they are MIJ and they appear to have MIJ hardware.

Some of this info has come from the Bacchus factory itself, the Bacchus dealer and people like Koiz and Hisashi.

Without any hard evidence I will give the non-serial Bacchus guitars the benefit of the doubt rather than suggesting they are probably all made outside Japan.

actually I have a 1982 PLAYER magazine with a Brian pictured in it...I haven`t asked my wife to read what it says but at that time they could have been MIJ, never really cared enough to pursue it...I meant the ones I saw in person, not in magazines. Thought I said the Jayros I have seen were not MIJ. Again, as I said, the non serial Bacchus guitars I saw did not have MIJ electronics...I can`t comment on guitars I have not seen in person or on line. As far as I know, nobody has suggested they were all made outside Japan, speaking strictly for myself and based on guitars I have seen with my own eyes, the Bacchus guitars I came across without serials did not have the same MIJ electronics that are in my Bacchus guitars...I`m no expert and don`t pretend to be.

Just to agree further and confirm that there are early Bacchus LPs with no serial number. Here's my Japanese BLS95 P90 with noble pot's and no serial number on the back of the headstock.

DSC01845.jpg

edit: thought it worth adding the pic's of the pot's. Not the easiest to photograph or identify as the markings are on the side of the pot's only.

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

Dave

looks good...took pics of the pots in my Charly this week, they seem to be the same. Good to see a member who actually owns one of these as opposed speculating about them. Anyways, both guitars I saw were priced at 100,000 yen each and interestingly...both were gold tops, one had mini humbuckers...but I wasn`t ready to pay that much for them...didn`t even pay that for my FGN BATT-20.

Latest posts

Back