LEFT HANDED GOLDSTAR SOUND

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qoqh

Reaction score
I've got a left handed TST60. :D It's red and looks like the original paint job, has a Tokai script logo, a 60 sticker on the back at the heel of the neck and three ply pickguard and rosewood neck. It also has Deluxe tuners and Final Prospec bridge saddles. I haven't seen under the pickguard but when I had it st up, just after I bought it (second hand), the guy told me it has DiMarzio pickups.
I've seen a lot on this forum about lefties only coming in TST50's and I'm wondering if I have the genuine article (as it appears to be a 60) or a really good fake. :cry: Next time I take the strings off I'll post some photos but in the meantime any guidelines on verifying and dating it would be appreciated.

Well, inflation made a 1980 50 into a 60 in 1986.
Same specs but price adjusted to meet the inflation.

THanks for your quick response. Are there any features or markings I should look for when I strip it down, to give an idea of when it was made? I was told when I bought it that it was an early 80's.
Alos, I didn't think 50's had the Deluxe tuners and Dimarzio pickups. Or had Tokai started fitting them as "standard" later in the 80's?

Hi qoqh and welcome to the forum. Are you located in the UK?

If you check my previous post around January 2011 you will see my 1984 letter from the president of Tokai confirming the first lefty Tokais were despatched to the UK April 1984. All 1984 Lefty Goldstars had Deluxe tuners and Final Prospect saddles.

There are Left hand Tokai TST60?s, is yours Fiesta Red? Lefty TST50?s were designated as model TST55L (cost was 10% extra for lefties, list price= 55k yen). Flamingo Orange (Fiesta Red) was not a standard colour adding another 5000 yen to the price, therefore these models had the 60 sticker - 60000 yen. Please post some pictures of your TST60, the Dimarzios I would consider a bonus, they are not original to your guitar.

I own from new first batch TST 55L?s and would say the neck profile of my later TST60L Flamingo Orange and recently acquired Metallic Red with Matching headstock have a more comfortable C shape-pic below.

I will post some pictures of the three types of cavity/neck codes used which will help dating. The codes are Equals, dot and minus (= . ? )

DSCN0845.jpg

DSCF0236A.jpg

qoqh said:
THanks for your quick response. Are there any features or markings I should look for when I strip it down, to give an idea of when it was made? I was told when I bought it that it was an early 80's.
Alos, I didn't think 50's had the Deluxe tuners and Dimarzio pickups. Or had Tokai started fitting them as "standard" later in the 80's?
Can we have some photos of the pickups so we can I.D. them?Gabe.

Latest posts

Back