Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bacchus CLASSIC series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Bacchus/Momose/Deviser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are going to make me the lightest Duke they can. Without it being a Duke Light. Which I don't want. But the Classic is only 8.8 pounds. they found me a light one. I'm a wuss I hate heavy guitars.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, I wouldn't expect Steve to be impressed with the Greco much but who knows.

Guitars and players are all different, that's all I know.

I've played a 1959 Gibson Les Paul that a friend had back in the 70s and I thought it was ok, nothing special and I was glad to get back to the Ibanez Artist I had at the time.

I ran across some Ed photos when he was back at the Whisky with VH around 1976 and Ed's guitar at that time seems to have been some sort of Japanese Strat copy with a aftermarket Fender logo slapped on the headstock in the wrong place and it had a high output ceramic pickup in the bridge (like a Super Distortion) and the boots from those shows are total Ed but he's playing what might be considered a beginners guitar worth around 400 or less dollars.

Whatever floats your boat.
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Gibsons are just ok. Some are amazing. But I'm not a fan. I think what Greco and tokai and others have done with the original designs has been much more impressive than what Gibson has done. If you think about it what Gibson could be and what it is is kind of a joke. I'm not a fan. Glad to be playing better versions in my opinion. I did play a 335 from the 60's that played itself but it cost 20 grand. Ridiculous. I just think it's lame that Gibson made some good guitars and those are the ones that are worth obscene amounts of money. If they were all that good those wouldn't be worth that much. It's a lame company with a LOT of lame years of not doing the right thing. They had bad quality control and made junk for a long time. I mean the only thing the same as the original Co. now about Gibson is the name. It's a different company with all different people no one is left from the original company's blood line. So Bacchus is really to me closer to the original Gibson than the actual Gibson Co. is now. Bacchus does things the way the original Gibson company did them and the original Gibson Co. would be proud. Anyway... Major session guys friends of mine in Nashville have played and LOVED my cheapy Greco Sunburst standard. They all want to buy it. Guitars don't get much better than that guitar. So I'm very excited to get my first Bacchus what is said to be the best of the original design. Or one of the best. All I can say is for what they charge for them it BETTER be. I'm just nervous to have an evertune bridge put on it as there is no going back from that. I think it's going to be a never look back best move I ever made though. I'm anxious and excited to be endorsing both Bacchus and Evertune but I won't until I have played and love them.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japanstrat wrote:
...I've played a 1959 Gibson Les Paul that a friend had back in the 70s and I thought it was ok, nothing special and I was glad to get back to the Ibanez Artist I had at the time.

That was quite a while ago, maybe you're more able to appreciate what makes a good LP these days?
Not meaning to cause offence here, but just speaking from my own experience. There were plenty of guitars that I picked up when I was younger and immediately put down, saying the guitar was shite.

I didn't have a clue.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
There were plenty of guitars that I picked up when I was younger and immediately put down, saying the guitar was shite.

I didn't have a clue.

That sounds familiar
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and those are the years that shaped us. I just always found it offensive that you had to PAY for the Gibson name and the guitars sucked. So you had to try to find an old one that was actually "good" and those were even MORE money. It was like,,,, What the hell? What are the DOING? And why are they charging so much for this crap? And they never recovered from that in my eyes. And Fender was the same story. So when I discovered Tokai for the first time I was blown away and then I became a Fernandes endorser and later discovered Greco. I had heard about burny years before that but never bought one. Greco was my return to a Les paul which I hadn't been playing in a long long time. So yes I have played new Gibsons that I liked but they are too much money for what they are I refuse to pay for the name. I'm actually taking great pleasure endorsing the knock offs. In my eyes it's way cooler. when I took my Greco standard in to have it plecked the guys in the shop were like WOW! COOOOOL!!!! :>) Those guys know what's cool and what's not they see tons of guitars every day. It's not like I really care what anyone else thinks cause I don't but that was fun for me to get that response. And surprising. I usually get "what is THAT?" turned up noses. I'm looking forward to the Bacchus and promoting them. After I play it and I'm sold that is.
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day one of my best friends who is a rock star asked me how much the Bacchus guitars were. When I told him he said that's getting into Gibson territory why don't you just get a Gibson. I said It's personal, I won't play one. LOL Besides Bacchus is supposed to be better for half the money.
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should talk to Rich (vintageJIM) over at MLP forum; he has a lot of Bacchus LPs and swears they are the very best out there.
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having grown up playing and studying guitars after awhile you can tell in a picture if a guitar is good or not. you guys know what I'm talking about. Every picture I've seen of a Bacchus leaves me drooling and thinking why aren't they ALL like that? So i am VERY confident I'm going to love my first one and then second and so on. I'm not a strat guy at all but I find for some reason I seem to track very well with them and those tracks get chosen over the LP tracks. So I'm also going ot get one of their strats for the studio. I'm still playing the one Fernandes gave me many years ago but I hate it. It sounds amazing though but it plays terrible I hate the neck. but that guitar is all over all my records. Michael Thompson played it a LOT on my first cd. The sound... It's great. I'm afraid to replace the neck.
luis
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mitch.
Just a few words to let you know I didn?t know your work and I have to say I like it a lot! You sings excellent! Where are your records avalaible through?
Are you playing a Greco here, isn?t it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1MLgPcR4g8

Regarding what you tell about Gibson I think the same but with Tokai being my favourite instead of Bacchus.It?s a very own decission.I was asked like you why I bought expensive Tokais instead going Gibson.It was very easy: I felt I got more from Tokai. I just bought a Yamano regular Gibson Standard to make comparisons and I kept my Tokais.

If you decided going high end Bacchus path,I would try to contact Furuhashi-san who makes special runs, a very talented luthier who worked for Tokai also.He is the man behind LS-320 series.

Best regards,
Luis.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Malloy wrote:
Well having grown up playing and studying guitars after awhile you can tell in a picture if a guitar is good or not. you guys know what I'm talking about. Every picture I've seen of a Bacchus leaves me drooling and thinking why aren't they ALL like that? So i am VERY confident I'm going to love my first one and then second and so on. I'm not a strat guy at all but I find for some reason I seem to track very well with them and those tracks get chosen over the LP tracks. So I'm also going ot get one of their strats for the studio. I'm still playing the one Fernandes gave me many years ago but I hate it. It sounds amazing though but it plays terrible I hate the neck. but that guitar is all over all my records. Michael Thompson played it a LOT on my first cd. The sound... It's great. I'm afraid to replace the neck.

I'd never played a Bacchus strat until my first one (BST-64V). Now I have two of them. By far, they are some of the best playing and sounding strats I've ever had my hands on.... the pickups alone are worth the price of admission.
sneakyjapan
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you all should have been paying closer attention 10-15 years ago when nobody wanted Bacchus guitars, I got most of mine for more than 50% off list, and got others for bigger discounts, before they stopped making Fender and Gibson clones to concentrate on their own designs...which lasted a couple of years, then they got back into cloning the US big two models again, maybe because their original designs did not do as well as they had hoped but they were not the same the second time around...I prefer the first run clones. I still have a bunch of em now but held so many more in my hands, and passed on lots of others. They made some very high end models that came stock with Fralins at the time... strats,teles and Les Paul types, this is before the Momose models came into being and became the high end line, apart from the Master Built line...think thats what it was called, I`d have to check my catalogs, but they did have a line of custom shop priced guitars too. They have had quite a few brands over the years and the Riverheads I saw in shops looked every bit as nice as the Bacchus models and shared many specifications though they sold for less. `course now they have lots of out sourced models and nobody carries the line in this city any more so I have to go to Tokyo to see them but honestly I am not hurting for great MIJ guitars...and there are MANY top notch builders in Japan these days.
Mitch, I found a used Hamiltone clone made by Monose in the city a few years ago, the story I was told was a guy had it custom made and spared no expense and if the one they are building you is even remotely as well made as this one, you`re in for a real treat...it is one beautiful guitar, as a couch player I probably have no business owning a guitar of this quality but them`s the breaks...right place right time kind of deal and I`m glad I bought it, it makes me feel like a good player even if I ain`t.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried the 59 Les Paul I had already been playing clubs and outdoor concerts for a few years and I tried it through my 100 watt Plexi and it did sound good but not so good that I couldn't do without it.
It wasn't for sale and was a friends.
I really wasn't into the money value of anything back then too much, I was just playing a lot.

I do like some Gibsons and have 2 at the moment and I don't think Japanese guitars are everything and I have had some very good ones and some average ones.

I have never played a Bacchus but I would like to try one and from what I've read they are very well made.

I've got a Greco Super Real one of the lower models and it does sound very good but the neck takes a bit of getting used to after playing Strats which I do as well.

I'm not really that fussy about gear to be honest, as long as it sounds in the ballpark of what I want then I'll have a go but I do prefer certain combinations of gear.

I recently bought an old Echoplex EP-3 and I wish I had one years ago because it is a great tone addition.

I know more about gear and electronics now then I knew back in the 70s and I know now why a Ash guitar tends to sound a certain way and why pickups and amps tend to sound a certain way but back in the 70s
I wouldn't have had a clue.

I remember buying my Marshall 100 watt Plexi with a 4 speaker cab and I was still in school and the thing took up half of my room.
I didn't have a clue how to play through it as I'd learnt guitar on an Acoustic.

I was trying to get somewhere near Blackmore's distortion level and I just did it myself but it wasn't that easy going from Acoustic to 100 watt Marshall, it took some adapting.
Not long after this I was playing in clubs, actually pubs, the same sort of pubs Bon and Angus and Mal were playing.
Gear was hard to get back then when I was in school and Gibson and Fender ruled and if you could get a Gibson or a Fender you were sort of lucky but there was also Ibanez and that's when like many others I discovered Japanese guitars and how well made they are.
Mitch Malloy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's my Greco. And you can buy music from my company direct. I'm independent now. Enough of the major labels. My company sells my music through paypal the email address is pranamusic@yahoo.com and for over seas they charge $20 for a cd and for the USA $15 a cd. I have a best of cd available that has the music you see in the DVD on you tube on it. It rocks.. Anyway.. I got the Greco for $350. It's a great guitar. But I ever heard of Bucchus till 3 years ago and it's taken me this long to even find them. I mean find the company directly. I finally got directly to them and found out they are fans. So that worked out. I have a Classic sunburst on the way now. There is a Jeff beck older Live Road in a store in Tokyo that I found but they ONLY do walk in business. They wouldn't even send it to me after Bucchus asked them to. Not easy getting these guitars. A little easier now though. I think I tried to get to Tokai years ago but couldn't find an email address that went directly to the company. But to me the Bucchus looks better anyway. I'll give you my report when it arrives.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitch Malloy wrote:
Yes and those are the years that shaped us. I just always found it offensive that you had to PAY for the Gibson name and the guitars sucked. So you had to try to find an old one that was actually "good" and those were even MORE money. It was like,,,, What the hell? What are the DOING? And why are they charging so much for this crap? And they never recovered from that in my eyes. And Fender was the same story. So when I discovered Tokai for the first time I was blown away and then I became a Fernandes endorser and later discovered Greco. I had heard about burny years before that but never bought one. Greco was my return to a Les paul which I hadn't been playing in a long long time. So yes I have played new Gibsons that I liked but they are too much money for what they are I refuse to pay for the name...

Yeah I pretty much agree with most of your reasons, and that is why Gibson and Fender like to keep the comparison with MIJ guitars under the carpet - because Japan has similar high living standards to the US, yet they can build a nice LP or Strat for less money.

The truth of the matter may be that guitar companies are not really that amenable to being turned into large corporations, and that the product is better, and also better value when the company sticks to the basics and the original core goals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Bacchus/Momose/Deviser All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 3 of 23

Jump to: