looking to buy a Tokai Les Paul but need help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean111music

Reaction score
Ok again if you have read my post about the start.

Again with the LEs Paul what is the one to go for to sound and fell like a 59 Les Paul?

I understand that all Tokai les pauls are built with Mahogany bodies too!! Superb!

Any help i will be thankful.

Mate, if it's the Gibson sound and feel you're after, then buy a Gibson. I have a '92 LS55 CS plain top and it is magnificent. I have swapped out the pups and caps but it has still retained it's character and feel. One thing is for sure though and that is that you won't be disappointed with your MIJ Tokai Les Paul. The craftmanship of these guitars is second to none.

Te only Gibson's are worth going that I have personally tried are the old ones and I know that Tokai basically copied the Gibsons and fender exactly to every detail.

SO you get a really great quality guitar but not having to re mortgage the house.

Have I got that wrong?

What are the old Tokai Les Pauls to go for then, that are a replica of the 59/60 Gibson Les Pauls.

Are you looking for a brand new guitar, or a vintage/second hand model. MIJ Tokai Les Pauls are a fraction of the cost of Gibson, but their craftmanship is equal, if not superior to Gibson. I am from Australia and if you go to: www.japanvintageguitars.com they have a selection of vintage Japanese guitars (Les Pauls, Strats, Teles etc) and prices. To give you an example: 1980 Tokai LS-80 AUD $2050.00. A brand new LS-98f will cost around AUD $1600.00. I don't know what neck profile these examples have. My 1992 LS-55 has a 60's neck.

Have I been gone so long that everyone is tired of these questions? Just kidding, post is still new ;)

I see no reason to spend big money on an old Tokai, I have a 2008 ls100 that I would put up against any LP and it's in mint condition. IMO all Tokai LP's are better than their predecessors.

I couldn't agree more. My '92 LS-55 isn't in the upper echelon of Love Rocks but is is in mint condition and it plays like a dream, and it didn't cost me an arm and/or a leg. I wouldn't part with it for anything.

dean111music said:
Ok again if you have read my post about the start.

Again with the LEs Paul what is the one to go for to sound and fell like a 59 Les Paul?

I understand that all Tokai les pauls are built with Mahogany bodies too!! Superb!

Any help i will be thankful.

They're all solid mahogany bodies, they all look like 1958 and 1959 Gibsons....choose what colour you want, then decide whether you want a plain maple top or flamed maple top, and then decide how much money you want to spend?

No not at all. A brand new LS-98f would be about $400.00 cheaper than a 30 year old LS-80. It all depends on what you are prepared to spend. Also, you have to remember that you are looking at something that is 30 years old up against something that is brand new. The quality and craftmanship hasn't diminished in any way. It's all personal choice.

Assuming you want a nitro finished LP:

If you don't want a flame top then you should be able to get one of the vintage Tokais for $2k.

If you do want a flame solid top then you're looking at big money ($5k+) for a vintage Tokai, so do yourself a favour and buy a Gibson Historic at this price.
(*** Edit - or buy the vintage Tokai from a dealer so you know what you're getting)

If you are happy to have a veneer flame top then there will be some additional lower priced vintage Tokai models available.

Or, buy a brand new Bacchus Classic with a solid flame top!
(Check the Bacchus part of the forum although these are nitro top coat only)

Diamond said:
Now the guys completely confused. :D

Yeah, he really needs to decide on the flame top, because if it's not mandatory that will bring the LS-160 into play.
Or if veneer is fine then a few other LS models also (HLS-160, LS-145).

The Bacchus was the only LP I could think of that had a solid flame top for pretty good $$.

I'm not really sure that the finish is the issue here. The fact is that either way (vintage or new), when you buy a MIJ Tokai (assuming it hasn't been in the hands of Pete Townsend) you are buying a first class quality instrument that will last you a lifetime.

willows-62 said:
when you buy a MIJ Tokai (assuming it hasn't been in the hands of Pete Townsend) you are buying a first class quality instrument that will last you a lifetime.

Agree 100%.

willows-62 said:
I'm not really sure that the finish is the issue here. The fact is that either way (vintage or new), when you buy a MIJ Tokai (assuming it hasn't been in the hands of Pete Townsend) you are buying a first class quality instrument that will last you a lifetime.

Oh, are you a dealer as well?

This sort of "buy any Tokai it will be fantastic" is a bit simplistic really.
Some people require certain specs or weight of the guitar etc.

People need to make sure they know what they are buying when it comes to vintage guitars, no matter what brand it may be.
With the prices of vintage Tokais rising strongly over the last few years there is now plenty of incentive for sellers to pass off lower models as higher ones, not to disclose cracks and other damage or non-original parts etc.

Even the new ones vary widely in specs, and people need to be aware of what they're buying, to avoid disappointment.

Lets just wait for the OP to say what specs they want, but the words 59 Gibson LP were mentioned...

willows-62 said:
Where did I say "buy any Tokai it will be fantastic"? No I'm not a dealer!

Yeah sorry that wasn't meant as a direct quote, rather it was a way of distinguishing ordinary statements from the description of a "vibe".

Besides "...either way (vintage or new), when you buy a MIJ Tokai... you are buying a first class quality instrument that will last you a lifetime." could easily be interpreted as 'buy any MIJ Tokai it will be fantastic'.

(added the MIJ, but I only ever talk about MIJ anyway)

I just want to urge people to be cautious when buying over the internet, especially with vintage guitars. To be fair, with new Tokais you are on a pretty good wicket.
There have only really been minor problems crop up from time to time, and the fact that there appears to be quite a few heavy LPs turning up in recent times.
So really, as long as you have your research done about which model and specs you want then there's not much risk with buying a new Tokai.

JVsearch said:
willows-62 said:
Where did I say "buy any Tokai it will be fantastic"? No I'm not a dealer!

So really, as long as you have your research done about which model and specs you want then there's not much risk with buying a new Tokai.

I agree, virtually zero risk when buying a new Tokai.

If the guitars shipping from one side of the world where conditions are freezing to the other side of the world where conditions are a heatwave, you might need to tweak the trussrod and setup a little on arrival, and that's just a maybe.
In any event being a guitarist (we're all insane) chances are you're going to have a tech or yourself tweak the setup anyway...although sometimes I take a guitar to my tech and he doesn't need to do a thing, every thing's spot on, all he does is squirt some nut 'sauce' into the slots.

Forget about uneven frets or a nut cut too deep, or a blemish on the body or finish, etc, etc, it's not going to happen with a new Tokai...and that's a fact, not internet hype...there's no way I've been 'lucky' 350 times in 17 months. :)

Of course weight is a factor, to each his own...some guys like something under 9.5 lbs, some guys like under 9 lbs, and some guys like 10 lbs and over...so ask the seller what it weighs.

Diamond said:
Forget about uneven frets or a nut cut too deep, or a blemish on the body or finish, etc, etc, it's not going to happen with a new Tokai...and that's a fact, not internet hype...there's no way I've been 'lucky' 350 times in 17 months. :)

My 2010 LS80 must be the exception. Frets not level and saddles and nut had to be reshaped. (New, out of the box)

felixcatus said:
Diamond said:

My 2010 LS80 must be the exception. Frets not level and saddles and nut had to be reshaped. (New, out of the box)

What's a 2010 LS80?

Did your guitar tech tell you the frets were not level and the nut and saddles needed to be reshaped, or did you do the work yourself?

Sorry, I have my doubts.

Latest posts

Back