Tokai Goldstar Vintage 1962 Stratocaster Lawsuit Copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seho10

Reaction score
Is this a good guitar? For the price of 800 euro?

tokai%20goldstar%20002.jpg

More pictures of the guitar at http://www.jpstingrayguitars.com/tokai.html

This is the info he wrote : This is a 1982 Vintage Tokai. The Goldstar series are known to be the best copies of the Fender Stratocaster, infact Tokai lost the lawsuit and had to stop production of these wonderful guitars. Even has the L number serial plate. This is pure Japan craftsmanship, build to the specs of the 1962 Fender Stratocaster. Awesome nice 3 tone Alder body, Maple neck with rosewood fretboard. The Tokai vintage pickups are sounding warm and smooth. Pure Fender Quality. It is amazingly good. This guitar is 25 years old and still looks great, some few nicks and dents that's all, nothing major. All original and harder and harder to find. It comes including a brown tolex`case

Looks to be in nice condition, but surely too much for what looks to be a ST-40 (the cheapest in the range, see tuners)

Hi Seho10 -welcome to the Forum 8) .

Short answer ... NO I would'nt buy it. And Bobastic is right about tuners ... those ones are from cheapest model ST40 (higher models have split-post Kluson copies, ie correct fitting for vintage replica).

Longer answer ... don?t think that decal is from 1982 either - until 1980/81 you had the thin "spaghetti-style" 7okai logo, then it seems it was a thick script 7okai in 82-83, then remainder of 83 was a black block logo, and then only from 1984 onwards do you get the logo on that guitar (but could be much later than 84). Case is NOT original, of course. Can?t tell from his pics if hardware & pups are original (whatever he says)? Lawsuit story is complete sales crap - there never was any lawsuit against Tokai...the only threatened lawsuit was much earlier circa.1977 (against Ibanez, but it never went to court). I?d definitely wait ? you can get better higher model genuine vintage Tokai Strat for that money. :2cents :-? .

Ian.

Correction ?7okai spaghetti logo until 82, what was I thinking of :roll: .

Ian.

The Serial Number doesn't matter, it just tells you it's a copy of the Strats made in early 1960's, ie really just signifies a rosewood fretboard instead of Fenders earlier 1950's style maple fretboard?s ... the number doesn't give the date of manufacture & doesn't tell you anything else about the guitar :-? .

Ian

Hey Ian/seho10

The ST40 did have the cheap tuners and a 6 digit number from what i'm able to ascertain.
The L226xx serial number would make this guitar a ST-50 and place it around mid 1985. The colour is YSOR (3 TONE SUNBURST WITH ROSEWOOD BOARD)
This guitar is a 1964 replica, not a 1962 as stated.
This is my opinion - it may not be shared by others, so make your own decisions.

regards
Peter Mac

Cheers Peter ... apparently seller is saying it's an ST60?

From a private PM I think Mr Seho10 is very keen on it, but I don?t know how much he?s paying & I think sellers description is misleading & lacks the vital info?.what do you think?

Eg seller says??its 1982?, but then he says ?it?s 25 years old?. Then he says ?it?s all original? (despite Tuners & Case), but there are no close-up photos, no shots under pickguard to check pups, check for routing, or check for Tokai stamped codes etc. ? actually most of the description is spent trotting out the old Lawsuit nonsense ... doesn?t exactly fill me with confidence,?what do you reckon?

Oh, wait a minute ? I?ve just noticed the price 800Eu ? wow :eek: , FORGET IT!!! :eek: That?s ?550 ie 1340$-Australian or $1035-US ? at that price he could get an original 1978 ST80 Springysound :roll: !!

Ian.

Back