No Tokai Springy sounds mentioned here older than 78

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

Flash
I only know 3 chords

Post by Flash » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Now that I've tried a tokai; i'm itching to get an Explorer or Flying V with a tremolo bar in Cherry; MIJ of course..

muccax
Guitar God

Post by muccax » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:33 pm

hi
yer yer ,,,,,,, but no proff of a 1977 tokai
all the best
otto

Flash
I only know 3 chords

It appears that my Springy sound is a 78

Post by Flash » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 pm

As well, It does have matching serial numbers at the neck and body cavity with the body cavity sn being upside down. It's a great player, but as someone who prefers the sustain and crunchiness of Gibson, I would trade it for an Explorer, either MIJ Tokai, or US Gibson.
Now that I've tried a tokai; i'm itching to get an Explorer or Flying V with a tremolo bar in Cherry; MIJ of course..

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Re: Looks like you guys were right

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 am

From what you are showing, it's a 78. What makes you think it's two guitars?? Why no pics of the body, saddles, pickups, etc? My 78 ST60 is only a few guitars off from your serial number and like mine, yours is a 78 or hey.... maybe it is a 77 too!

Flash
I only know 3 chords

Post by Flash » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:39 am

marcusnieman wrote:
From what you are showing, it's a 78. What makes you think it's two guitars?? Why no pics of the body, saddles, pickups, etc? My 78 ST60 is only a few guitars off from your serial number and like mine, yours is a 78 or hey.... maybe it is a 77 too!

The rest of the pics are earlier in the thread. The only dissasembly I did was the neck. I will not disssasemble a guitar that is as right as this one, hence no pickup photos. I read one serial number upside down from the body;turns out both are identical. As far as it being a 77', yesterday I grudingly took the neck off, despite myself. I am not a guitar speculator, and the value is not as important as the playability. But, I bought the guitar from a guy I really trust and love (Bob at "About Music" in Indy), and he told me it was a '77. I took his word for it, but obviously we were wrong. No biggie for me; as I bought the axe as a player, trying to move beyond the "metal" phase I have been in since the late 70's.. Your guitar is fabulous, BTW.

Flash
I only know 3 chords

Post by Flash » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:41 am

marcusnieman wrote:

My neck says E 6 .What does that mean? I notice your neck only has 1 character, while mine has 2.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:26 am

Cool Flash.... that's why we're all here - to learn about these guitars in addition to enjoy the hell out of playing them...... in reply to a few of your comments:
I will not disssasemble a guitar that is as right as this one, hence no pickup photos.
With these guitars, it's the only way to truly tell what you have. Secondly, taking your guitar apart does nothing to adversly affect it at all. Your not disconnecting any electronics, changing the action or intonation, etc.

But, I bought the guitar from a guy I really trust and love (Bob at "About Music" in Indy), and he told me it was a '77. I took his word for it, but obviously we were wrong.
Which is all fine and good BUT you can set yourself up for a real problem with this approach. If the seller is in fact misinformed and selling you something it isn't - lets say a Love Rock LS160 when it's actually an LS80, you just got screwed (there's a big difference in price and specs) if you have only taken his word.

My neck says E 6 .What does that mean? I notice your neck only has 1 character, while mine has 2.
Most necks are stamped with two characters (see below for my other two Springy's). I don't know enough about the neck stamps to tell you why or exactly what the various neck stamps mean - probably relates to the profile, radius, maple / rosewood, etc:

Flash
I only know 3 chords

I disagree on the disassembly; especially the neck

Post by Flash » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:45 am

proper set up is a tenous thing, every time you take screws in and out of wood , the holes get bigger, the tolerances sloppier, etc. That is just one of the reasons this is the only guitar I own with a bolt on neck.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Re: I disagree on the disassembly; especially the neck

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 am

Flash wrote:proper set up is a tenous thing, every time you take screws in and out of wood , the holes get bigger, the tolerances sloppier, etc. That is just one of the reasons this is the only guitar I own with a bolt on neck.
One more peek isn't going to hurt anything. :wink:

Flash
I only know 3 chords

Post by Flash » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm

But, I bought the guitar from a guy I really trust and love (Bob at "About Music" in Indy), and he told me it was a '77. I took his word for it, but obviously we were wrong.
Which is all fine and good BUT you can set yourself up for a real problem with this approach. If the seller is in fact misinformed and selling you something it isn't - lets say a Love Rock LS160 when it's actually an LS80, you just got screwed (there's a big difference in price and specs) if you have only taken his word.

Since I paid $300 dollars less than any authentic 1978 "Springy Sound" I have saw online in the US, I still feel pretty good about it.