Bacchus CLASSIC series?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JVsearch said:
Holy moly! Solid top?
Very good of you to pick one of these up so the rest of us can have a look at it! :D

You bet, the cheapest solid flame top you can get in Japan new as far as I can tell. There are some beautiful guitars for sale these days from Bacchus.
Here is another one for sale, but from a different shop.

blpstdfmcs2.jpg

I liked mine the best of course but they have quite a variety of tops.

Hey I did read it and see it. NICE. I'm even more excited now. As of today they are sending me a classic HB and I've got a Duke coming as well but that will take 3 months. They are building me a custom Jef Beck model Duke. I got some Dry Z pickups on the way and I'm not sure where those will go we will see. I'm starting my next record in 2 weeks so I was dyeing to get a Bacchus for that. It was a bit of a chore figuring out how to get it to me since the Classic is not a legal export but we finally did it. Bacchus has been great so far and I'm sure will continue to be. I've got some great players guesting on this cd. Steve Lukather, Keith Scott (Brian Adams) Howard Leese (Heart, Bad co) Keith Howland (chicago) Dez Dickerson (Prince and the revolution) Hughie McDonald (Bon Jovi) Should be a fun record. It's gonna rock and I'm sure my Greco's will be all over it unless of course the Bucchus smokes them. Lets see..

Not a bad lineup.

It would be interesting to hear what Steve Lukather thinks of your Greco and your Bacchus.

I know. He has his own signature guitar though so I'm sure he's so into that it's part of him by now. I got my Dr Z's just now. They are heavy. Im scared cause the last heavy PU's I got I sent back. No high end. They were those texas barbecue things. Sounded like ***.

japanstrat said:
Not a bad lineup.

It would be interesting to hear what Steve Lukather thinks of your Greco and your Bacchus.

Yeah, and of course it would be good to get the owner's view as well!

That Jeff Beck Duke sounds pretty exciting! What are the specs you've asked for?

wulfman said:
Someone sent me this link as they still had my guitar listed here. I think it is the page for STR guitars which is a Deviser company of some kind.
It looks like they have all the produced Bacchus Classic guitars there with S/Ns so you can have a look at some different models.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/str-garage/c/0000000290/

They are GREAT value - I don't see how the Tokai LS-260 can compete with that.

The Jeff Beck Duke will just be the black with cream binding and pick guard but honestly I think I'll go with no pick guard. Specks I don't know other than that. I may go with no frets and have them send it to Sweden to do the true temperment fret job for perfect intonation. I will most likely have the Ever Tune bridge put on as well. I think I'll do the Ever tune on the classic when it gets here. So my Duke will be a seriously one of a kind model. I should ask them if they want to do a Mitch Malloy model as such. They probably wouldn't though. They aren't that kind of company. Peavey wanted to do that for me years ago. I said no. LOL That was before Ed did it though and they didn't really have it together yet. Anyway Bacchus is total class so far. I hope I love this classic. Luke has a Les paul worth hundreds of thousands so not sure he will be impressed with my guitars but maybe. I mean I'm as guitar snobby as the next guy so who knows. And from the crappy you tube videos I've seen of the dry z's I think I'm going to like them. Bacchus doesn't make pu's. I'm trying to talk them into it though but I doubt I'll succeed.

They are going to make me the lightest Duke they can. Without it being a Duke Light. Which I don't want. But the Classic is only 8.8 pounds. they found me a light one. I'm a wuss I hate heavy guitars.

Yeah well, I wouldn't expect Steve to be impressed with the Greco much but who knows.

Guitars and players are all different, that's all I know.

I've played a 1959 Gibson Les Paul that a friend had back in the 70s and I thought it was ok, nothing special and I was glad to get back to the Ibanez Artist I had at the time.

I ran across some Ed photos when he was back at the Whisky with VH around 1976 and Ed's guitar at that time seems to have been some sort of Japanese Strat copy with a aftermarket :D Fender logo slapped on the headstock in the wrong place and it had a high output ceramic pickup in the bridge (like a Super Distortion) and the boots from those shows are total Ed but he's playing what might be considered a beginners guitar worth around 400 or less dollars.

Whatever floats your boat.

Most Gibsons are just ok. Some are amazing. But I'm not a fan. I think what Greco and tokai and others have done with the original designs has been much more impressive than what Gibson has done. If you think about it what Gibson could be and what it is is kind of a joke. I'm not a fan. Glad to be playing better versions in my opinion. I did play a 335 from the 60's that played itself but it cost 20 grand. Ridiculous. I just think it's lame that Gibson made some good guitars and those are the ones that are worth obscene amounts of money. If they were all that good those wouldn't be worth that much. It's a lame company with a LOT of lame years of not doing the right thing. They had bad quality control and made junk for a long time. I mean the only thing the same as the original Co. now about Gibson is the name. It's a different company with all different people no one is left from the original company's blood line. So Bacchus is really to me closer to the original Gibson than the actual Gibson Co. is now. Bacchus does things the way the original Gibson company did them and the original Gibson Co. would be proud. Anyway... Major session guys friends of mine in Nashville have played and LOVED my cheapy Greco Sunburst standard. They all want to buy it. Guitars don't get much better than that guitar. So I'm very excited to get my first Bacchus what is said to be the best of the original design. Or one of the best. All I can say is for what they charge for them it BETTER be. I'm just nervous to have an evertune bridge put on it as there is no going back from that. I think it's going to be a never look back best move I ever made though. I'm anxious and excited to be endorsing both Bacchus and Evertune but I won't until I have played and love them.

japanstrat said:
...I've played a 1959 Gibson Les Paul that a friend had back in the 70s and I thought it was ok, nothing special and I was glad to get back to the Ibanez Artist I had at the time.
That was quite a while ago, maybe you're more able to appreciate what makes a good LP these days?
Not meaning to cause offence here, but just speaking from my own experience. There were plenty of guitars that I picked up when I was younger and immediately put down, saying the guitar was *****.

I didn't have a clue.

JVsearch said:
There were plenty of guitars that I picked up when I was younger and immediately put down, saying the guitar was *****.

I didn't have a clue.

That sounds familiar :D

Yes and those are the years that shaped us. I just always found it offensive that you had to PAY for the Gibson name and the guitars sucked. So you had to try to find an old one that was actually "good" and those were even MORE money. It was like,,,, What the hell? What are the DOING? And why are they charging so much for this crap? And they never recovered from that in my eyes. And Fender was the same story. So when I discovered Tokai for the first time I was blown away and then I became a Fernandes endorser and later discovered Greco. I had heard about burny years before that but never bought one. Greco was my return to a Les paul which I hadn't been playing in a long long time. So yes I have played new Gibsons that I liked but they are too much money for what they are I refuse to pay for the name. I'm actually taking great pleasure endorsing the knock offs. In my eyes it's way cooler. when I took my Greco standard in to have it plecked the guys in the shop were like WOW! COOOOOL!!!! :>) Those guys know what's cool and what's not they see tons of guitars every day. It's not like I really care what anyone else thinks cause I don't but that was fun for me to get that response. And surprising. I usually get "what is THAT?" turned up noses. I'm looking forward to the Bacchus and promoting them. After I play it and I'm sold that is.

The other day one of my best friends who is a rock star asked me how much the Bacchus guitars were. When I told him he said that's getting into Gibson territory why don't you just get a Gibson. I said It's personal, I won't play one. LOL Besides Bacchus is supposed to be better for half the money.

You should talk to Rich (vintageJIM) over at MLP forum; he has a lot of Bacchus LPs and swears they are the very best out there.

Well having grown up playing and studying guitars after awhile you can tell in a picture if a guitar is good or not. you guys know what I'm talking about. Every picture I've seen of a Bacchus leaves me drooling and thinking why aren't they ALL like that? So i am VERY confident I'm going to love my first one and then second and so on. I'm not a strat guy at all but I find for some reason I seem to track very well with them and those tracks get chosen over the LP tracks. So I'm also going ot get one of their strats for the studio. I'm still playing the one Fernandes gave me many years ago but I hate it. It sounds amazing though but it plays terrible I hate the neck. but that guitar is all over all my records. Michael Thompson played it a LOT on my first cd. The sound... It's great. I'm afraid to replace the neck.

Hello Mitch.
Just a few words to let you know I didn?t know your work and I have to say I like it a lot! You sings excellent! Where are your records avalaible through?
Are you playing a Greco here, isn?t it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1MLgPcR4g8

Regarding what you tell about Gibson I think the same but with Tokai being my favourite instead of Bacchus.It?s a very own decission.I was asked like you why I bought expensive Tokais instead going Gibson.It was very easy: I felt I got more from Tokai. I just bought a Yamano regular Gibson Standard to make comparisons and I kept my Tokais.

If you decided going high end Bacchus path,I would try to contact Furuhashi-san who makes special runs, a very talented luthier who worked for Tokai also.He is the man behind LS-320 series.

Best regards,
Luis.

Back