Custom Edition 1986

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I just got here on my search for information on a Tokai Custom Edition Stratocaster copy made in 1986. I've only discovered the offering an hour ago and thus far my search hasn't exactly proven thoroughly succesful. It seems like the Custom Edition has been built featuring A LOT of different specs.

The one I'm looking at actually looks like a plain vintage strat copy: Vintage Tremolo, Vintage Tuners, classic SSS-Configuration (the original pickups have been replaced with Duncan SSL-1s though), maple neck with RW fretboard. Looking at the other models with gold-plated pickguards, modern tremolos and HSH configurations one might actually doubt these are supposed to be from the same line of guitars - It does have the Custom Edition label on the headstock though. The guitar seems to be in a fairly good condition.

I've heard and read a lot of good things about the early Tokai MIJs but since I've never quite gotten into it I feel kind of lost trying to estimate a proper price for said piece of wood.

Any help would be highly appreciated. =)

Can you post some pictures of the guitar as I doubt anyone is going to bve able to help you without them.

Dave

Sure can. Here you go:
TOKAI1.JPG

TOKAI2.JPG

TOKAI3.JPG

TOKAI4.JPG

I've already checked the registry for information. The thing the registry can't (or doesn't) tell is whether this one could possibly compete with a used G&L Legacy (for which I'm currently on the lookout) or how much it originally retailed for.

Thanks in advance!

Can't help you with the actual model but I've seen these occasionally pop up on ebay. Most recent was this one which seems a similar spec large headstock model.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Custom-Edition-Strato-MIJ-1980-s-/320672741613?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item4aa995b8ed#ht_1880wt_1139

Dave

Well at least I know the one I'm looking at is fairly overpriced now.
Thanks for the link. =)

Latest posts

Back