Gibson Limited Release 50's Tribute Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marcusnieman said:
Here's a slideshow from the gig with me and the boys:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/marcusnieman/Festival%20of%20Sharing%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Couldn't the bass player get his bass any lower? :lol:

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:
Here's a slideshow from the gig with me and the boys:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/marcusnieman/Festival%20of%20Sharing%202010/?albumview=slideshow

Couldn't the bass player get his bass any lower? :lol:

Jeremy is the epitome of cool. Lots of bass players here play low slung like that..... must be simian knuckle dragging genetics between these guys because my arms are no way long enough for my fingers to reach the strings like that.

stratman323 said:
marcusnieman said:
Lots of bass players here play low slung like that..... .

The Keith Ferguson legacy?

Absolutely! :wink:

Side note.... the pickguard is officially off the Les Paul now (as with all my others). A matter of string attack angle and finger placement while picking and not so much cosmetics but I must admit, it really looks nice without it.

Just installed my Faber gear:

Alum tailpiece with locking studs..... top wrapped the strings

Faber ABR1 bridge with brass saddles (the Nashville bridge had to go). Also put in the tone thru bridge posts

The change in sustain is phenominal. It was already good to begin with but now it's unreal.... even on slightly muted single notes or chord fragments which typically decay much faster than clear ones. These mods really opened up the pickups.... they seem more ballsy now. The top wrap on the tailpiece adds a little more slinkiness to the strings.

My last mod will be to put a set of Kluson aged tulip tuners on it from RS Guitarworks:

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/aKLUTPRNKL.html

This guitar is a keeper.....

I really like the way it looks in the first two pics. For me its "the plainer,the better".
Is it in real that matte or shinier?
Mighty fine guitar.

felixcatus said:
I really like the way it looks in the first two pics. For me its "the plainer,the better".
Is it in real that matte or shinier?
Mighty fine guitar.

Thanks man.... yeah, I'm a plaintop guy too. Realy nice vintage honey burst on this one. Nitro satin / matte finish.

Once I get all of the goodies on it, I'll put up some proper pics.

I'm with you on the plaintops,altough a flametop like this could tempt me.
http://www.gitaarreparatie.be/chopper-lp-model.html

That's one from my tech. He doesn?t use paint or lacquer. He treats his guitars with oil and mineral colorants. Besides the look, he claims its better for sustain, dynamics and resonance.

827649.jpg

Now they have a 60's version

827651.jpg

"Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute
In honor of the final incarnation of the original Les Paul, Gibson USA is proud to present the acclaimed Les Paul Studio in an exciting new package. The new Les Paul Studio ?60s Tribute model embodies the look and tone of the great original Les Pauls from the 1960s, at a price that fits the wallets of today?s hardworking musicians. Ever since its introduction in 1983, the Les Paul Studio model has been enormously popular with players seeking the power and versatility of the original Les Paul Standard in a ready-for-action package, with a price to match. The Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute sticks to the script entirely, but its five worn '50s-style finishes reflect the wear of a well-played guitar and its meaty dual single-coil P-90 pickups give it a look akin to classics from the decade of the Les Paul's birth. Meanwhile, its fast SlimTaper? neck profile reflects the feel of Les Paul Standards from 1960, the year before this legendary solidbody was deleted (temporarily!) from the Gibson lineup."

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute.aspx

Hi,

I just picked up one of the 60's tributes and it's very nice.
Aside from the neck, the other difference is the electronics -- the 60's doesn't have the orange drop capacitors. It just has these regular small ones. And the cavity cover isn't see-thru. I may put them in, but I'm not unhappy with the sound.

Still, I really like the guitar. It's taken a little getting used to because I usually don't play a barely finished neck and the fret shape is a little square for me, but it has been worth it. The sound and weight relief aspects are amazing -- it's hard to put it down. P90's are my favorite pickups by far -- woody, crunchy, live, airy ... they have it all.

-- Ace

detroitace said:
Hi,

I just picked up one of the 60's tributes and it's very nice.
Aside from the neck, the other difference is the electronics -- the 60's doesn't have the orange drop capacitors. It just has these regular small ones. And the cavity cover isn't see-thru. I may put them in, but I'm not unhappy with the sound.

Still, I really like the guitar. It's taken a little getting used to because I usually don't play a barely finished neck and the fret shape is a little square for me, but it has been worth it. The sound and weight relief aspects are amazing -- it's hard to put it down. P90's are my favorite pickups by far -- woody, crunchy, live, airy ... they have it all.

-- Ace

I had a look at these and compared them to my 50's version. Like you said, the body cavity covers aren't see thru. Shame they didn't keep the orange drop caps in them.... but you can always add them. The neck really is pretty comfortable and it's not drastically slimmer than the 50's.

Don't the P90's sound great in it? What finish did you go for? I went for the Faber locking alum tailpiece and studs, Faber tone lock bridge posts and bridge with brass saddles. I also replaced the tuners with some RS Guitarworks aged Kluson tulip tuners..... great guitar.

marcusneiman said:
What finish did you go for? I went for the Faber locking alum tailpiece and studs, Faber tone lock bridge posts and bridge with brass saddles. I also replaced the tuners with some RS Guitarworks aged Kluson tulip tuners..... great guitar.

I went for the worn honey burst and its great. I haven't done any mods to it, yet. I'm waiting a little. I'll probably put some orange drops in soon, though. The tailpiece looks like its ready for wrap-around usage so I may try that to see if sustain increases, but I use a compressor and I'm not I'd be able to tell the difference.

detroitace said:
marcusneiman said:
What finish did you go for? I went for the Faber locking alum tailpiece and studs, Faber tone lock bridge posts and bridge with brass saddles. I also replaced the tuners with some RS Guitarworks aged Kluson tulip tuners..... great guitar.

I went for the worn honey burst and its great. I haven't done any mods to it, yet. I'm waiting a little. I'll probably put some orange drops in soon, though. The tailpiece looks like its ready for wrap-around usage so I may try that to see if sustain increases, but I use a compressor and I'm not I'd be able to tell the difference.

Cool.... I went for the Honeyburst as well.... really nice looking with the P90's in it. As I understand, it along with the Goldtop are the two best selling finishes. I didn't go with the goldtop because a goldtop looks like any other goldtop

I was able to borrow a '50's honeyburst tribute from one of our forum members. Really neat guitar and sounds very good. But, I opted to buy a Tokai LS-80S from '03 from Mr. Marcus. I just love the traditional '56 LP look. The guitar sounds really nice w/ original pickups and competes well w/ my Gibson Historic LP Special.

Can't have too many LP's. :D

f5joe said:
I was able to borrow a '50's honeyburst tribute from one of our forum members. Really neat guitar and sounds very good. But, I opted to buy a Tokai LS-80S from '03 from Mr. Marcus. I just love the traditional '56 LP look. The guitar sounds really nice w/ original pickups and competes well w/ my Gibson Historic LP Special.

Can't have too many LP's. :D

Haha.... nicely played Joe...... enjoy the Goldie. :wink:

Back