LS 320 EBAY

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezza-j

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7311314207&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

Any comments on why this hasn't sold. I know it's only been a couple of days since it was listed but I thought it might have gone quickly.
Do they use weight relief holes to make it so light?
Clay

Regardless of how awesome it is, that is a ton of money. Not saying it's not priced right cause it is a very decent price, but it's just a lot for someone to plunk down. I wish I hadn't bought my LS200 now cause I probably would have snagged that guitar. Still though the LS200 is great-just not completely in love with the color.

Hi Buck,
I remember when you got that one but what don't you like about the color?...also, know anything about the relief holes?
Clay

It just too much of a deep cherry/orange for me. I am probably at some point going to reshoot the op in the style of Jimmy Page's #1. Not sure about the weight relief holes-I wasn't aware they had them at all. I own a Edwards Jimmy Page Replica guitar that has the relief holes on a one piece Mahagony body. It does make it lighter however the tone and sustain aare still very intact.

I don't know if Tokai ever used weight relief holes in their Love Rocks, is there some information on this issue? My 1984 LS 60 also weighs about 3.5 kg, but has a two-piece mahogany body while my 1981 LS 120 is much heavier and has a one-piece body. And that LS 320 on Ebay does not mention how many parts its body has.

A Gibson employee once wrote in the Les Paul Forum that they only use that method for their standard line, because they decide after checking the shipped wood which pieces of mahogany will go to the Custom shop (because it's light enough and doesn't need weigth relief) and which will be used for the normal Standard models.

By the way, what's an "oil condenser"? :-? And I don't know why it hasn't been sold yet, but US $2,200 without allowing bidding is probably too much...

Hans,
Under 8 lbs without weight relief holes? Now I'm REALLY interested.

"Condenser" is an old timey way of saying capacitor.
"Oil Condenser" is just a capacitor with it's insulation (the "dielectric") made out of rolled paper and oil. It's a carry over "mojo" thing as far as I'm concerned; for "authenticity" and I'd replace it with a decent cheap polyester cap anyway if the guitar was a keeper because the oil has the tendency to dry out relatively quickly. Of course I'm sure there's someone here who'll disagree and swear they can hear a difference! :)

CS Jones said:
Hans,
Maybe the seller can answer that question, at least he should be able to tell if it's a one- or two-piece body (although I would assume it's one piece at that price).

"Condenser" is an old timey way of saying capacitor.
Oh yes, now I understand, thank you. I'm also in the "voodoo" park on that issue, but didn't test these capacitors yet and probably never will. :wink:

buckwild said:
Ken pulled the auction. Wonder what happened?
Either he changed his mind and sold it privately, e.g. to the guy offering US $1,750,--, or he just wanted to test if it will be sold at that price.

Looking at the larger photo showing its back it seems that it's rather one piece of mahogany, because the graining is not interrupted in the middle.

I emailed Ken and he said that he decided to keep it. He said that he thought $2200 was too low.

CS Jones said:
Hans,

As far as I'm aware, Tokai have never used weight relief. They get around it on the mid-range models by using incredibly well matched 2-piece bodies which are cheaper to buy.

Latest posts

Back