Massive 8.9 earthquake and tsunami in Japan

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching local TV where my friend Daisuke was iterviewed about Japan recent affairs, and they told earthquake reached Shizuoka also.
Tokai people is well as pointed by Diamond,Adachi-san confirmed this to me also and I?m very glad. Also my friend Watanabe replied me he is alive,he is living in Sendai since he returned home.
The worst part is waiting how radiation will behave in future.....

I'm buying tickets to Tokyo in a couple of days.
Should be alright to go in June.
I got too many good things going on to not go.

While you are here, I suggest doing some guitar shopping. I see lots of Gibson Historics being offered at ridiculously low prices. They apparently have cosmetic flaws, which makes me guess that they were dinged/scratched when the earthquake hit Tokyo. I am sure there are Tokais similarly discounted. Sounds like taking advantage of the situation, but the local economy needs some consumer activity as people are afraid to go out and spend money.

Minoupark said:
While you are here, I suggest doing some guitar shopping. I see lots of Gibson Historics being offered at ridiculously low prices. They apparently have cosmetic flaws, which makes me guess that they were dinged/scratched when the earthquake hit Tokyo. I am sure there are Tokais similarly discounted. Sounds like taking advantage of the situation, but the local economy needs some consumer activity as people are afraid to go out and spend money.

I'm going to Japan to:
A. See my parents in law
B. Shop guitars til I'm senseless

Doh :D

Well, I will crash in my parents in law's house and eat their food but that is just cause its for free :D

Koubayashi said:
I'm going to Japan to:
A. See my parents in law
B. Shop guitars til I'm senseless

Doh :D

Just letting you and others on the forum know of what I know :wink:

I saw a documentary on TV the other night about the nuclear problems, and one guy was saying that the workers who are battling at the plant are basically giving their lives to stop a serious meltdown.

He said they will all die, as they have been exposed to about 1000x the "safe" level of radiation.

This really is terrible, and very hard to deal with. Hopefully it's not as bad as what the doco was making out.

True heroes.

4802980_600x400.jpg

There is no doubt that those working at the power plant are selfless heroes. But there have only been two people were irradiated beyond the legal limit. Western media is making a huge drama out of this. :evil:

Minoupark said:
There is no doubt that those working at the power plant are selfless heroes. But there have only been two people were irradiated beyond the legal limit. Western media is making a huge drama out of this. :evil:

That may be true, but you know it's standard operating procedure to tell people nothing when there's a nuclear problem...

Nobody's information is certain at this point. What appears to be true is that there have been two occasions when the small crew working on the reactors has been forced to leave due to extreme radiation.

Time will tell.

Minoupark said:
Western media is making a huge drama out of this. :evil:

Oh there's plenty of hyperbole from ALL media sources and I think that the media in general is a big part of what's wrong with the world today. No such thing as objective news coverage anymore - in print, radio or TV

marcusnieman said:
Minoupark said:

Oh there's plenty of hyperbole from ALL media sources and I think that the media in general is a big part of what's wrong with the world today. No such thing as objective news coverage anymore - in print, radio or TV

You got that right chief! The sooner that despicable ***** Murdoch drops dead the better. Hopefully the empire will fall apart after he's gone. :lol:

The doco I saw was on the ABC (tax payer funded public TV) and they're not too bad usually. They break a lot of stories that people like Murdoch etc would prefer to sweep under the carpet. You know, stuff about Governments covering stuff up, corporations cutting corners to make more money except people died, or the environment was massively polluted, or loads of small investors lost their houses. It's the only channel over here where you'll get an in depth examination of things like that.

JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:
Minoupark said:

You got that right chief! The sooner that despicable ***** Murdoch drops dead the better. Hopefully the empire will fall apart after he's gone. :lol:

The doco I saw was on the ABC (tax payer funded public TV) and they're not too bad usually. They break a lot of stories that people like Murdoch etc would prefer to sweep under the carpet. You know, stuff about Governments covering stuff up, corporations cutting corners to make more money except people died, or the environment was massively polluted, or loads of small investors lost their houses. It's the only channel over here where you'll get an in depth examination of things like that.

They only feed you what they want you to know and how it ties into their own agenda .... media leans left or they lean right. Again, no objectivity. The left wing media supports CNN and the right wing go with Fox..... both sensationalist garbage mills if you ask me. Also, don't forget, it's all about ratings and market share for them. Listen to the song Dirty Laundry by Don Henly (or the Eagles?).... that pretty much spells it out.

JVsearch said:
That may be true, but you know it's standard operating procedure to tell people nothing when there's a nuclear problem...

Nobody's information is certain at this point. What appears to be true is that there have been two occasions when the small crew working on the reactors has been forced to leave due to extreme radiation.

Time will tell.

I agree. When I said "western media", I was referring to mass media outside of Japan. For some reason, Europeans seem to exaggerate the situation more than anyone else. On the other hand, the Japanese government and TEPCO are being extremely conservative with cautions and release of information. I don't know who to listen to :cry:

Minoupark said:
JVsearch said:

Time will tell.

I agree. When I said "western media", I was referring to mass media outside of Japan. For some reason, Europeans seem to exaggerate the situation more than anyone else. On the other hand, the Japanese government and TEPCO are being extremely conservative with cautions and release of information. I don't know who to listen to :cry:

Japan shows much more humility and graciousness than many other cultures. With this ordeal, I've seen it...... conversely, the Katrina devastation of New Orleans showed looting and an absolute media and political circus. My heart goes out to Japan.

Big Willie Style said:
From your name, I'm gathering you're Korean? Are you in Tokyo for school or you live there permanently? Probably have lots of pressure from family to come home I bet. Anywho, stay safe!

Jason

Yeah I am Korean. Was brought up in Canada and spent the last 8 years here in Tokyo. Had a good job here and was kinda settling down, but I decided to move back to N America for several reasons. I still think Tokyo is not in any immediate danger of harmful radiation, but there are other bigger reasons which are making me leave. The earthquake and nuclear accident only accelerated the process. I am gonna miss this place so much :cry:

Back