1995 ObG 335 question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfman

Reaction score
I just made a deal for an ObG 335 that I had been watching for a while, it is a 1995 "by Gibson" with fret edge binding and Classic 57 pickups.
The SN starts with 5 50**.

Does anyone know it Terada or Fujigen were making these, or perhaps both?
21221655_o1.JPG

21221655_o2.JPG

Thanks for any information you may have.

Cheers,

Wulfman

Thanks for that, that is my guess but these don't seem as plentiful as the LP reissues. I should have it in a week or so, I wonder what else there could be for clues other than the S/N.

Nice one Harold...

Looks like a Fujigen to me (headstock size and serial number both point that way, along with non-wonky "by Gibson" scripit!)

If it plays anything as well as my '95 ObG 59RI Les Paul, you're in for a treat :D

Yes, the plastic is still there. The guitar is rated as being 9.5/10 which is really good for the store that is selling it. I have bought a few used pieces from there that have surprised me as being basically new with just a few scratches. There must be lots of people who buy these nice high end guitars as starters, and then realize it is not so easy to play.

I'll post a report when I get it in my hands.

You people are killing me!!! I've been trying to get my mitts on one of these for months - seems there aren't many here in the states. Congrats on a very sweet score!

I should have it in a week or so. Good luck with your search. You could probably find one in Japan but they usually run around $1200 before shipping, even for the older ones with no fret binding.

Hi Wulfman,

First of all, my sympathies to you and all the Japanese people, can't immagine the distress....

Congratulations on your guitar, a real beauty! I agree with other forum members that this is definitely a Fujigen made guitar for the reasons already stated. Perhaps interesting to know that it seems that Fujigen only made the ES335 for one year, 1995. All other ones I have seen are Terada made guitars...

I have exactly the same, and apart from the fact that yours still has the plastic on the cratch plate and thrussrod cover, mine is mint as well, not a scratch..

You'll find that the neck of the guitar is extremely nice to play with a bit wider fretboard that let's say a 59R. I recommend you put 0,10's on her for a full sound and lots of sustain. Played over a decent amp, you will be very pleased with the sound. Let us know your findings please.

Cheers from sunny Portugal!

Joop

ObG arrived yesterday and so far so good, it is a real nice guitar. There is just enough birdseye on the body for my taste. I know what you mean about the wide neck. I will have to measure it but it is very fat and comfortable for me. I have to change strings but it sounds nice with the old dirty ones on there already.

There is a crack in the nitro around the neck joint but only the lacquer. It looks pretty easy to fix but I am not worried. Other than that, no chips or scratches.

The headstock logo "by Gibson" is interesting. It was hard to see on the photo on the website so maybe some people passed on it as it looked like a regular Orville and the listing didn't mention fret binding or Classic 57s.

It is my first 335 and probably my last.

I need to take a full shot but for now the 3 will have to do.

wulfman said:

ObG arrived yesterday and so far so good, it is a real nice guitar. There is just enough birdseye on the body for my taste. I know what you mean about the wide neck. I will have to measure it but it is very fat and comfortable for me. I have to change strings but it sounds nice with the old dirty ones on there already.

There is a crack in the nitro around the neck joint but only the lacquer. It looks pretty easy to fix but I am not worried. Other than that, no chips or scratches.

The headstock logo "by Gibson" is interesting. It was hard to see on the photo on the website so maybe some people passed on it as it looked like a regular Orville and the listing didn't mention fret binding or Classic 57s.

It is my first 335 and probably my last.

I need to take a full shot but for now the 3 will have to do.

Hi Wulfman,

Congratulations, once again. A real beauty, exactly like mine (FE Binding, '57 Classics, etc.) Great guitars!

Will post some pictures of mine over the weekend!

Njoy!!!

Joop

I am a japanese guitars fan!
Now I am only playing my Jazzmaster CIJ and my new (just one year old) Tokai Junior!!!

I am dreaming a 335 japan made :)
congrats wulfman!!!

Latest posts

Back