PAF pickups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matrix

Reaction score
Which pickup you think is closest to the sound of classic PAF?

- Bare Knuckle The Mule
- SD Antiquity/SH1/ Seth Lover
- Lindy Fralin Pure PAF
- Gibson 57 Classic

What is your choice for bridge pickup?

matrix said:
Which pickup you think is closest to the sound of classic PAF?

- Bare Knuckle The Mule
- SD Antiquity/SH1/ Seth Lover
- Lindy Fralin Pure PAF
- Gibson 57 Classic

What is your choice for bridge pickup?

It's very subjective, they are all nice pickups, for a classic PAF I would pick a BK Stormy Monday over a Mule, I would also choose an RD Pickups P1 over any of them ;)

I never heard RDs. I would like to have some bite on treble pickup.
I like early Whitesnake sound of Moody/Marsden or Warren Haynes.
I heard that Warren use Pearly Gates as bridge pickup.

matrix said:
I never heard RDs. I would like to have some bite on treble pickup.
I like early Whitesnake sound of Moody/Marsden or Warren Haynes.
I heard that Warren use Pearly Gates as bridge pickup.

A Pealy Gates is a great sounding pickup, but not 100% authentic PAF which is what you asked originally. The PG does have a bit more bite which might suit you.

Those Lindy Fralin Pure PAF shure sound very very nice on youtube clips!
You might wanna check Sheptone pickups also I hear a lot of nice things aboth them.

p.s. Im also a seeker :)

What pots would be better for SD SH-1 or PG? 500k or 250k? I have OD 0,022UF caps.

matrix said:
What pots would be better for SD SH-1 or PG? 500k or 250k? I have OD 0,022UF caps.

It depends... if your guitar is fairly dark sounding get the 500k's... is it bright then go for 250k.

I personally like the combination SH-1/JB, but be sure you use 250k pots with the JB (the pickup is designed to use with 250k pots) or it can be too harsh. Heard the SH-1 and JB greatly benefit from a magnet swap, you might consider this as well. Have a search on the Mylespaul forum, there are tons of discussion about just this.

Of course the guitar is dark sounding it?s LP. :D
On my guitar I have 500k pots and then I will not change them.
But I would like to change my bridge pup ( JB). I have SD SH-1 on neck and I have a chance to buy Dry 1982. Would be a good combination with SH-1?

One of the main things about a PAF is the magnet and other things as well but the magnet is a big part.

There are stories of how Gibson ordered a lot of Alnico IV magnets for the original PAF's.

I tried a Tonerider Alnico IV Classic PAF that I thought was pretty good.

I thought that if it wasn't what I wanted then I could always try the Alnico IV magnet in my Maxon U-1000 and get it in the Dry Z ballpark but I'm just keeping the Tonerider as it is because it sounds pretty good to me.

Alnico II, III, IV and V will all be different.

I went to their website and clips are just amazing.
Are they really so cheap?? 27 BP?

I bought my Tonerider used so it was cheaper than the new prices.

I wasn't really expecting that much from the Tonerider but it turned out pretty good.

Latest posts

Back