Historic pickup rings on MIJ Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PonchoGreg

Reaction score
Hey peeps!

Got myself a lurvely LS150 over the WE. Very good nick, apart from a crack in the rhythm pickup ring (basically snapped clean in the middle, which I believe is a common occurence on MIJ LPs).

I thought I'd treat her to some nice "historic spec" creme pickup rings from... well... the G brand.

Any of you tried this? Do they fit? I know they come "uncarved", but the apex of the carve on the LS150 is rather flat, so I thought than with a tiny bit of heat on the rings beforehand + gradual adjustments over time it might do the trick...

What do you guys reckon?

Thanks for the help!

I had to replace the flat pup rings on my (s/h) Gold Top recently acquired as they had both cracked. I initially got hold of a couple of what I think were authentic curved Gibson Rings but they didn't quite fit -the screw holes didn't quite line up- but the curved AllParts ones I bought the other day do and are a fairly decent match with the pickguard and binding as well.

Yeah, I actually just ordered some allparts curved ones... The color seems decent, and I wasn't quite ready to blow 25+ quid on two bits of plastic... :D

I'll see how they fit and if I'm not feeling the match, maybe I'll man up and buy the Gibby ones!

OK, here's the lowdown...

Got some cheap curved Allparts ones: color was nice, a tad too yellow but nice. Very hard plastic, no give at all. Problem: they actually were way too curved for the LS150 top. Basically the apex of the carve doesn't follow a straight curve pattern - it's more like an almost flat surface with smooth drops on either sides.

The Allparts fitted in terms of screws placement, but the gap in the middle was too **** fugly.

I therefore went with the original plan and ordered some Gibbo Historic specs (dead flat). Bit of an expensive bet, but hey...

Turns out they fit like a glove. The plastic is quite flexible, therefore I had nothing else to do but gently screw them and they followed the top carve to a T.

So for anyone looking to replace the rings on a similar Tokai, I'd recommend them. Definitely not cheap, but good quality and nice color to boot (less pinkish/fleshy than the original Tokai rings).

Back