Greco or Aria Pro II ??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osa_79

Reaction score
which would generally be of better quality? right now im trying to decide between a Greco EG500 LP and an Aria Pro II LP copy(dont know the model #). The Aria is a set-neck version and is supposedly from the late 70s. It does not have the open-book headstock, but i dont really care about this, and im only mentioning it as it might be a clue as to when exactly it was made, model, quality, etc. The Greco has a chambered body and im pretty sure its mahogany/maple top, but im not sure what the Aria is made of.

tokaiguy said:
:-? We are in the wrong heading for this disscussion :eek: But I would go with the Greco :wink: TG

We are? Oh sorry, im just a plucker and i didnt know any better. But it doesnt seem like the other sections are frequented very often and this is important. If its any consolation....i have been considering a Korean TOKAI Love Rock as well. :wink:

Thanks for your opinion, though......anyone else have some input?

never owned an aria, but I've owned a few Greco's and they were all pretty nice. I just sold a Greco LP custom that had a nice fat neck on it.

:D Hey osa no harm done , Welcome to the group! I hope I recieve a kind welcome to the two new forums I have joined. 8) I just registered with the Les Paul Forum and the Fender Forum as Tokaiguy :lol: I can't wait to see if they let me in! 8) TG

osa_79 said:
an Aria Pro II LP copy(dont know the model #). The Aria is a set-neck version and is supposedly from the late 70s.

You wouldn't know it these days, but those late 70s/early 80s Arias were fantastic. It was generally considered at the the time that although Tokai produced the best Fender copies, Aria nailed the Gibsons much better.
Very different today of course.
Shame how Aria changed their focus over the years to concentrate on the cheaper end.
Never tried a Greco though, so not sure if my input actually helps.

as with many Japanese makers, after the bubble years guitar companies had to adapt or perish. As the number of Japanese who were willing to pay a lot for MIJs dwindled, manufacturers were forced to adjust their output. Though Aria may have increased their low end models, they maintained some high end models like the MAC-MID-DV, the PE-120R,and the Ventures models they made a few years ago, along with the custom shop which never closed. Perhaps because of the recent reports of the upswing in the Japanese economy, Aria has reissued their top end LP types, some of which cost $2~3000.00 US... the very models you spoke of as being good quality because the older ones are fetching top dollar these days in Japan. Maybe Aria is trying to regain some of that reputation, or maybe they are trying to keep up with the many, many excellent guitars being made in Japan these days the vast majority of which are not seen or known of outside the country. I believe this to be the second golden era of guitar making in Japan right now. If only you could see whats being produced over here now.

That's great news. I always had a lot of time for Aria guitars. I passed my '85 JX plus down to my eldest son, who's still playing it today.
John Joyce of Aria UK was amazingly helpful too with any questions or problems.

Greco EG-500 is an entry-level LP replica.I'd go for 600 or higher.
Old Arias were made in Matsumoku plant,no longer in production since 1.987 and Old Grecos were made too,until they change to FujiGen,so depending on dating they could be very similar.I tried a Greco EG-800 alongside with a Tokai LS-70 and a Burny LC-60 and I kept Tokai,it could be subjective but I prefered it better,I love Tokai necks and dig slim necks.

As Sneaky says Japan is producing great instruments now 8) .Old modles,higher specs one in particular are comanding astronomical prices at this time,above retail.I'm very sad I did not buy a couple of Reborns when I could :cry: ,but my Love Rock satyisfied me very much.

I own two MIJ Aria TAs, which are their thinline semis. One is a TA-30 (a genuine semi-acoustic) from 1986 and which was my first decent electric; the other is a TA-STD (a semi-solid, ie has the 335-esque centre block), the model below the top of the range TA-DLX (I actually preferred it to the DLX as I don't like gold hardware!). Both play incredibly well, although I will concede that now I'm aware the pick-ups could be better, especially on the TA-30.

However, owning these guitars has left me with a soft spot for Arias. I don't think I've ever played a bad one, even if the design didn't thrill me (eg pointy metal type guitars), and I generally try them if I encounter one. I had a 12-string acoustic from their Sandpiper range for a couple of years recently and that was a great, easy playing instrument. The PEs are well worth checking out; they're like a Les Paul's sexy sister!

What I can't tell you is which would be better in your particular case, as I've not got much Greco experience. They have a good reputation, as I'm sure you know. But I do love Arias...their prices are generally pretty low on eBay and I can't imagine you being disappointed with one.

Back