"Hey - those are the good ones"

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokaigeezer

Reaction score
I saw Los Lobos Saturday night up in Telluride, Colo., at 10,000 feet elevation (the band was gulping oxygen offstage) in a total acoustic show. Material primarily sung in Spanish - Volver, Volver; Guantanamera; La Pistola - plus Saint Behind the Glass - my favorite LL tune. But no La Bamba (they are slightly sick of playing it, plus sick of being stereotyped by it). They also did Greateful Dead's "Bertha" for the inevitable gaggle of Deadheads. Performed at the Sheridan Opera House, built circa 1896, only holds about 150 souls.

Fantastic show - three guitar lineup with Louie Perez playing rhythm, David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas trading leads, plus Conrad Lozano on guitarron and Lakland bass. Saxman Steve Berlin was missing in action. Lozano's son filling in on drums and percussion. Plus they all sing. They had the place going nuts with small amps (Deluxe Reverbs and Ampeg B1). These guys may be in their 50s but they are the best band in the states - I kid you not.

Afterward they were nice enough to sign my '83 Silver Star (in vintage white with maple board- looks like Hendrix's Woodstock Strat) and when I asked David Hidalgo to sign it, he asked me, with a smile, "You wanna sell it?"

"Hey, Tokais - those are the good ones," chimed in Cesar.

I know that signatures ultimately devalue a guitar, but I'll never sell this one! Plus it's my favorite player. I bought it three years ago from Elderly Instruments, which is how I got started in this whole sick Silver Star obsession. 8)

:eek: Sounds like a great show! I have only asked for two autographs in my life one was Dick Dale, he sighned my pink AST 62'. 8) I was at a crawfish boil at a friends house where he had invited a pickin pal from Louisianna and his wife to drop by....James Burton! My friend had no idea that James was the world class Tele player of all time! He was just a fishing buddy! :roll: He put his name on one of my Paisley Breezysound! I ain't never sellin those guitars! :wink: TG

Back