Loose fitting tune-o-matic?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Gecko

Reaction score
Hey guys

So the tune-o-matic on my LS85F is a bit loose fitting. I have the guitar top wrapped but it seems like sometimes when I bend, I can hear the tune-o-matic slightly moving on it's posts. I loosened the strings to see what was going on and it's not really the snuggest fit on the posts so I guess this is it.

Any fix for this or is it something you gotta live with? Any aftermarket units of better fit or would I need to replace the entire assembly, including the posts?

Well people have been top wrapping since the LP first appeared, so maybe he needs a better fitting bridge setup.

It's true that the pressure of the string tension is mainly what keeps the bridge in one place, but top wrapping doesn't really reduce it that much.

You got the tailpiece right down on the top?

JVsearch said:
Well people have been top wrapping since the LP first appeared, so maybe he needs a better fitting bridge setup.

It's true that the pressure of the string tension is mainly what keeps the bridge in one place, but top wrapping doesn't really reduce it that much.

You got the tailpiece right down on the top?

I top wrap 8)

Are the posts abit worn?

JVsearch said:
Well people have been top wrapping since the LP first appeared,

Guitarists aren't people.
People are normal, guitarists are insane. :)

I think that what your experiencing with your tail piece has nothing to do with the studs or posts.The tension of the strings will take up any slack in the studs by forcing the posts forwards slightly.The main problem with loose posts is the loss of tone. My suggestion is look at the saddles ,you'll probably find that the slots have never been cut for the correct gauge string. Obviously if the strings wider than the slot it could rock and slip , not to mention tuning problems, loss of tone and sustain. Also check the saddles sit squarely in the bridge. Hope this helps :)

Oh yeah STOP top wrapping :-? ,it has no benefits.

N.E 7ok'll Do said:

Maybe not with lighter strings but I can tell you for a fact that with 11's on it, they are easier to bend and feel slinkier than when strung thru the tailpiece.

marcusnieman said:
N.E 7ok'll Do said:

Maybe not with lighter strings but I can tell you for a fact that with 11's on it, they are easier to bend and feel slinkier than when strung thru the tailpiece.

It does has benifits. I use 10's and I bend alot more than thru tailpiece.

Don't tell someone what to do with their guitar. You wouldn't say to Hendrix play a right handed guitar, or tell Kerry King to stop using a kahler...

Or even to Joe Bonamassa... he top wraps.

Polarbear said:
marcusnieman said:
N.E 7ok'll Do said:

It does has benifits. I use 10's and I bend alot more than thru tailpiece.

Don't tell someone what to do with their guitar. You wouldn't say to Hendrix play a right handed guitar, or tell Kerry King to stop using a kahler...

Or even to Joe Bonamassa... he top wraps.

My comments are not intended to offend or tell someone what they should do with their guitars.
The word "don't" was obviously the wrong word to use.
I was under the impression that the point of a forum was to reply to another's question with an opinion that may or may not be considered by the author of the original post.
After 20+ years of repairs and set-ups for other guitarists I thought I'd share some of the knowledge I've acquired.
Some may agree with me, some not. Just because a guitar legend does something ,is it right ???
Obviously right for them but not for another (Fender or Gibson, USA or MIJ, 9's against 10's or 11's) ?
It's up to the individual to make the choice.
Anyway, my apologies if I have offended anyone on the forum with my opinions, that was not my intention ,only to help.

N.E 7ok'll Do said:
My comments are not intended to offend or tell someone what they should do with their guitars.
The word "don't" was obviously the wrong word to use.
I was under the impression that the point of a forum was to reply to another's question with an opinion that may or may not be considered by the author of the original post.
After 20+ years of repairs and set-ups for other guitarists I thought I'd share some of the knowledge I've acquired.
Some may agree with me, some not. Just because a guitar legend does something ,is it right ???
Obviously right for them but not for another (Fender or Gibson, USA or MIJ, 9's against 10's or 11's) ?
It's up to the individual to make the choice.
Anyway, my apologies if I have offended anyone on the forum with my opinions, that was not my intention ,only to help.

Don't worry Sir. It's all good :) Help is always taken in.

Random Gecko said:
Hey guys

So the tune-o-matic on my LS85F is a bit loose fitting. I have the guitar top wrapped but it seems like sometimes when I bend, I can hear the tune-o-matic slightly moving on it's posts. I loosened the strings to see what was going on and it's not really the snuggest fit on the posts so I guess this is it.

Any fix for this or is it something you gotta live with? Any aftermarket units of better fit or would I need to replace the entire assembly, including the posts?

I just restrung my tune-o-matic equipped guitar and put about 2 wraps worth of adhesive copper shielding tape around the posts that the bridge sits on.

Works great and fits snug enough that there is just enough grip to keep the bridge from falling off during string changes. Not to mention my action adjustments wont get messed. No negative changes to tone either.

N.E 7ok'll Do said:
...Oh yeah STOP top wrapping :-? ,it has no benefits.

The benefits are pretty obvious, but those same benefits can almost be achieved without top wrapping, just by raising the tail piece up on its studs.

However there are examples of the studs bending (metal 'aint what it used to be) when set up too high. Therefore put the tail piece flat to the body and top wrap the strings. Sure the angle will probably be slightly more shallow than using the other method, and the tail piece will be worn where the strings wrap round it (some might even view this wear as desirable), but it works.

Of course the difference in tone and feel might not be universally liked.

JVsearch said:
N.E 7ok'll Do said:
...Oh yeah STOP top wrapping :-? ,it has no benefits.

The benefits are pretty obvious, but those same benefits can almost be achieved without top wrapping, just by raising the tail piece up on its studs.

However there are examples of the studs bending (metal 'aint what it used to be) when set up too high. Therefore put the tail piece flat to the body and top wrap the strings. Sure the angle will probably be slightly more shallow than using the other method, and the tail piece will be worn where the strings wrap round it (some might even view this wear as desirable), but it works.

Of course the difference in tone and feel might not be universally liked.

Exactly correct. If you string thru the tailpiece, you do not want to crank it all the way down on the body.... remember they say that the proper string angle on the saddles allows you to slip a piece of paper between the strings and the edge of the bridge frame.... you don't want the strings resting on the bridge frame by having the tail piece too low.

With a wrapped tailpiece, even when cranked all the way down, the string angle allows for more than a paper thickness clearance between the strings and bridge frame - which probably is an attribute to the additional slinkiness of the string tension when bending notes. By raising the tailpiece height and lessening the angle when stringing thru the tailpiece, you achieve the same effect.

marcusnieman said:
If you string thru the tailpiece, you do not want to crank it all the way down on the body...

Yeah, I've always found that to be a real tone killer.

And letting the strings touch the bridge frame will be even worse.

Back