Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Tokai :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:

I'll probably get lynched for this, but I say go with Faber hardware. Cheaper than Tonepros and better locking designs. I've used both and the TP stuff is now in a drawer.

Ive just placed an order for the faber "tone lock" kit, tail piece and locking bridge. hopefully they will all fit..
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move. I've got those on most of mine and they are great!

Dave
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
warxy wrote:
Any advices would be great!

I'll probably get lynched for this, but I say go with Faber hardware. Cheaper than Tonepros and better locking designs. I've used both and the TP stuff is now in a drawer.

+1 I too prefer the Faber gear
karppi
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Paladin2019 wrote:
warxy wrote:

+1 I too prefer the Faber gear

Fabers are just great piece of hardware. I used to change lockable bridge, alu tailpiece and tone kit (studs and washers for the tailpiece). Gottfried has always offered very good service to me, despite of all the rumours here.

However the sound will change and it is pretty much a matter of taste if you like it or not. They are not for every Les Paul out there. With my R8 I prefer the original stuff for example. Same thing with my 2004 LS200 even it has 'zinc' tailpiece and non-brass bridge saddles. Especially the locking bridge seems to cut some smoothness typical for a LP but you might get some brightness and attack with it, which is usually a good thing with low budget Tokais for example.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah after checking out the faber parts, they just seem to be more solid and "go to" for me.
How long did you guys take to get it from shipped to your house tho? Its been a week already and i asked for express but it still hasnt arrived.
Jamesb
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: New Tokai LS98F Reply with quote

Hi Warxy,

Copliments for your purchase! My I ask how much have payed for and who is the seller?

Thank you in advance,
James
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick Faber question - can you use the rings with your exiting studs or do you need to buy the studs too? Thanks

Jason
Emiel
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
warxy wrote:

I agree . On my ex-Gibson Les Paul Standard I had Faber hardware too, simple excellent stuff. I don't have any experience with Tonepro though. Either way, be sure to get them with the right measurements..!
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willie Style wrote:
Quick Faber question - can you use the rings with your exiting studs or do you need to buy the studs too? Thanks

Jason

You need the studs, otherwise they wouldn't lock the tailpiece in place.
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used left over rings from the set on other none faber tailpieces so you don't need the studs. I think you're getting mixed up with the bridge?

Dave
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. That's what I was wondering. Just by looking at the studs online, they look similar to what's on my guitars now. I was wondering if I could just buy the spacers and use with my existing studs. Quite a bit cheaper. I'd use the existing tailpieces as well since they're already aluminum. Dave, do yours fit as snugly as they do on the Faber studs?

Jason
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willie Style wrote:
I was wondering if I could just buy the spacers and use with my existing studs.
Jason

Ahem... You need the studs, otherwise they wouldn't lock the tailpiece in place.

I suppose in theory you could use them as spacers and make a slight improvement to the mechanical connection between tailpiece and body, but why buy locking hardware that doesn't lock?
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin is technically right. If you use the locking rings as I've done on two of my guitars you will potentially have a gap between the tailpiece and the collars/shoulders of the stud depending on how good a fit it is. If you buy the faber studs they have no lower shoulder so they bolt down hard with no gap onto the spacers. In practice I'm not sure it makes much if any difference on mine as the studs and tailpiece fit pretty snugly.

Dave
Big Willie Style
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, just took a look at the website and the schematic. I see what you mean now Pally.

Now, I know a lot of people love the tailpiece lock kits, but do any of you use the locking bridge as well? Notice any advantage if so (besides staying in place during string changes)?

Thanks for the input guys!

Jason
DaveWW
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one locking faber bridge and one none locking faber bridges. They're both excellent bridges but I don't think there's any noticeable difference in tone.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: