Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Paul)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leadguitar_323 wrote:
I use 1.5 to 2 mm picks, in my opinion a stiffer pick makes you be more accurate with your picking hand as the pick has no flex..

Mick

It also dramatically affects the string tone - more plastic on the string, the more metal you push. A softer pick does flex and offers more of a glancing blow to the string. A heavier pick goes through the string more. Try it some time with various pick thicknesses - the difference is quite noticeable.

Also, if you're playing heavier strings (say 11's), you need more pick. Heavier strings, heavier pick = heavier, fuller sound. Conversely, if you play dental floss (9's) on your guitar, a heavy pick will break them in short order.

SRV played monster strings and bass fretwire - used a 1.5mm pick but used the thick rounded end instead of the pointy one. Big part of his tone.
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also, if you're playing heavier strings (say 11's), you need more pick. Heavier strings, heavier pick = heavier, fuller sound. Conversely, if you play dental floss (9's) on your guitar, a heavy pick will break them in short order.

I use 9-42's on ALL my guitars and the only time I've ever broken a string was at a gig about 2 months ago when one of the wound strings unwound at the bridge...so technically not a break...and I use Dunlop mini picks 1.5mm.
throstur
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It also dramatically affects the string tone - more plastic on the string, the more metal you push. A softer pick does flex and offers more of a glancing blow to the string. A heavier pick goes through the string more. Try it some time with various pick thicknesses - the difference is quite noticeable.

SRV played monster strings and bass fretwire - used a 1.5mm pick but used the thick rounded end instead of the pointy one. Big part of his tone.

I agree with you allt the way. If I had to name one single thing that improved my playing the most, it was realising this. (It was actually pointed out to me by a very good player).

I have always had more difficulties with my right hand ( I am right handed) and learning this helped me a lot. I use 10 - 46 on all my guitars, except I use 11?s on my Jazzmaster and Gretsch 6120.
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you guys about a heavier pick being a good thing for playing single string stuff more accurately, but some flexibility in the pick can be helpful for playing rhythm. Choppy chords & funky rhythms can be easier to get right with something a little lighter.

I settled on the Dunlop nylon 1mm plectra years ago. If I use anything heavier, it can make my rhythm playing sound too "stiff". As the only guitarist in the band, rhythm playing is rather more important to the sound than the solos.
throstur
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and of course it is a matter of playing style, what you get used to, taste, gear, e.t.c.

It would be interesting to start up a thread one day and ask people what they use. I bet we would get a lot of different opinion on that.

Eric Clapton used a coin on his Les Paul in the early years

Strictly between us, it was probably a?59 Burst with or without fret end nibs....... Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Gibbons uses a coin, a US quarter, I believe. I remember him saying in an interview (years ago) that he was looking forward to trying out a 20p coin when he visited the UK.
Ozeshin
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Billy Gibbons uses a coin, a US quarter, I believe. I remember him saying in an interview (years ago) that he was looking forward to trying out a 20p coin when he visited the UK.

I actually tried that when I went to the states and came back with a pocketful of shrapnel...it was...different.
Also tried those stone picks when they were all the rage in the '80's but they were always too slippery for my sweaty mitts
stratman323

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozeshin wrote:
I use 9-42's on ALL my guitars

Strings for girls......

leadguitar_323
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahha...

Mick
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:

Then here you go (and these old ones are solid silver):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-3-GENUINE-MOJO-Silver-Coin-Guitar-PICKS-1916-28-64_W0QQitemZ370084634182QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370084634182&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

These are nice too but if you drag them across the body of your guitar, you'll be into bare wood before long:

http://www.drguitarpicks.com/stainless.html
meisjemetgitaar
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help in identifying an MIJ Les Paul copy (Camel Les Pau Reply with quote

I bought the same guitar
Have you find any information yet...
The person i bought it from calls it a reproduction of the gibson les paul... made in 1974... Tommy from kiss plays it

I wanted to know the value.
Do you have any clue??

Grtz girl with guitar
Jnnfranke
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Nice guitar.....I bet it smokes

Ha..Ha..I bet it smokes But i am a big smoker of all type.

E-cigarette reviews
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: