ZAKK WYLDE TOKAI BULLSEYE LES PAUL COPY

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree . . My point was one from an information perspective. I know when i purchased my MIK Gold Top and thanks to this great site , Only to find it was a fakai - Let's just say i was not too happy - I felt alot better when i found out these Canadian models although not true Tokai's - were actually made in the same MIK factory as the real Tokais and to better specifications than the Tokai MIK versions - Needles to say they play great !! The Canadian models are a rare instance where a "Faki" are of better quality than the real MIK versions . Point is if you have a Canadain Fakai - They are worthy of the Tokai name . As for the ethics and copyright crap - That's another discussion.

Very curious this topic has raised from hell again :evil: :x

A Tokai not being factory crafted or inspected at least is not a Tokai,period....

I agree looktoyourorb, if someone is selling Tokais get from backdoor it would not be a trusted seller in my opinion as said.

I agree - Also let's be aware when we speak of Tokai - Big difference from Tokai MIJ & Tokai MIK - One can also argue Tokai MIK are not really Tokai's either & just becuase Tokai outsourced them to an independant in Korea and "authorized" them to bear the Tokai name really does not make them a Tokai either. :eek:

Since it is generally agreed these Fakia's were made in the same factory by/with Dillion guitars, the specs are generally the same. Its hard to pinpoint exactly where the maple came from, but somewhere in North America would be the likely origin.

Dillion DL625 Les Paul style electric guitar. Dillions are great values. This guitar features a solid Mahogany body (not chambered) and a Maple neck. The hardware is gold finish. The body and neck are beautifully bound

Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:
Yes it was Canadian wood used on these units, as for wood quality -

Where are you getting this information?

All of the Canadain Fakais supplied by the Canadian distributer were all built with quality Canadian Maple wood & Mahogony, If you know wood you will be able to look at one of these guitars and know this - This was how the distributor spec'd them , making them superior in many cases to the MIK Tokai units destined for the same market and espically much better than the MIK Tokais that were being provided to the european markets at the time. Wood being one of Canada's major exports allowed mfg's to obtain "quality" wood to this day from Canada at a lower prices than anywhere else in the world - Thus why the U.S placed tarrifs on our wood being exported to the U.S (we were suffocating thier own U.S wood market and they couldn't compete with Canada in this resource from a domestic and export perspective) and for this reason is why the wood did not come from anywhere except Canada. With this being said many of the cheaper woods used for other markets as metioned obviously came from Asia. :lol:

space_114 said:
All of the Canadain Fakais supplied by the Canadian distributer were all built with quality Canadian Maple wood & Mahogony,

Leaving aside the fact that mahogany only grows in tropical climates and that it's impossible to tell maple's country of origin from looks alone (although as said above it's a fair bet that it did come from N. America, just like every other ordinary MIK would), I'd like to ask you one more question.

Did the shop tell you about all these superior features and properties before or after you discovered the guitar they sold you was a fake and confronted them over it? :wink:

space_114 said:
I know when i purchased my MIK Gold Top and thanks to this great site , Only to find it was a fakai - Let's just say i was not too happy

:wink:

Just to let you guys know. I took the guitar to a guitar tech for a proper pro setup with fret leveling and all that in an attempt to maximize the playability of my beautiful new guitar and that ive actually kinda stuffed the setup up when i tried to experience and setup it myself. The guitar played great out of the box and the setup defs took it to the next level. I wouldnt know in what extent or how much fret level they might had done on the guitar though. All i know is that the guitar plays better and every penny spent was worth it. :wink:

Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:
Actually , the reputable store in Toronto where i purchased it knew little about them - Just another music store with more than several brands of guitars and crabby sales people. I contacted the most reputable Martin / PRS dealer in T.O and they had nothing but good things to say about them who in turn provided me with the contact of the "no longer" Tokai distributer for Canada who was local . I contacted them and they provided me with the name and e-mail of the then distributer. Low and behold i sent him an e-mail and he responded as he still is in the business and is still importing other brands (probabbly still from the same factory) . He provided me with all of the information in my prior posts , Anyone can say what they want , but the realitiy is if you own one of these Canadain Fakai models and when compared to a MIK Tokai they are better PERIOD ! MIK Tokai's are just really Fakais also bearing the "authorized" want to be MIJ .Tokai name
:eek:
Did the shop tell you about all these superior features and properties before or after you discovered the guitar they sold you was a fake and confronted them over it? :wink:

[

space_114 said:
Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:
Actually , the reputable store in Toronto where i purchased it knew little about them - Just another music store with more than several brands of guitars and crabby sales people. I contacted the most reputable Martin / PRS dealer in T.O and they had nothing but good things to say about them who in turn provided me with the contact of the "no longer" Tokai distributer for Canada who was local . I contacted them and they provided me with the name and e-mail of the then distributer. Low and behold i sent him an e-mail and he responded as he still is in the business and is still importing other brands (probabbly still from the same factory) . He provided me with all of the information in my prior posts , Anyone can say what they want , but the realitiy is if you own one of these Canadain Fakai models and when compared to a MIK Tokai they are better PERIOD ! MIK Tokai's are just really Fakais also bearing the "authorized" want to be MIJ .Tokai name - Thus the reason i was lucky to also find the Tokai ZW version recently and bought that one also- Plays like a dream !! I will post pic's shortly !!
:eek:

[

space_114 said:
Anyone can say what they want,

Yes they can, and the distributor told you exactly what you wanted to hear didn't he? They didn't use wood grown from magic beans did they?

What did you expect, coming from the horse's mouth? "Yes my guitars are decent instruments but pretty much the same as everyone else's made over there, and by the way I illegally used someone else's branding on the headstock"?

I'm sorry you were caught out in the fakai furore, and I'm sorry you were fooled so badly that you paid top dollar for another one. But you will never convince anyone but yourself that these guitars have some kind of special merit.

Paladin2019 said:
...you will never convince anyone but yourself that these guitars have some kind of special merit.

Time will tell, stranger things have happened!

Have you read the book by Julian Barnes called "England England"? One of the things he was talking about was how people are starting to like myths, copies and fakes more than the real thing!

Off topic a bit I know but I've always fancied a nice fake Rolex more than a real one! I'm not sure what that say's. It's a sort of inverted snobbery I guess.

Paladin2019 said:
Just what we need, a new generation of 'lawsuit model'!

Don't be such a cynic ... Your opinion cannot be validated until you actually see and play or own one .. Really !! Like i said MIK Tokais arent really Tokai's anyway so don't be so protective of the "copy" issue. Tokai copies everything .. Oh the Canadian distributer at the time copied their MIK's and did it better ..Boo Hoo. Look at what an EPI Custom LP MIC costs today. :eek: iI own one of those also are they are also a nice decent guitar... Just not built as nicely or with the same quality woods and a alot more $$$ and not nearly as good a value as the Canadain Fakais ! Ripped off i don't think so .. Try one you will like it !! :wink:

As I said I am not knocking your guitar, some MIK models are awesome - I bought a PRS SE MIK over an ESP Eclipse Japan, it just felt way better to me. I have not tried any MIC yet for political & ethical reasons...you'll know what I mean if you check freedom of expression, working conditions, salaries and management attitude in Chinese factories. The words inhuman and slavery jump to my mind, and that's for children and adults.

And they turn a blind eye to the large scale production of counterfeit goods including guitars.

You'll find some people raving about MIK Love Rocks and SGs so as your guitar is from the same factory it's not going to be a bad axe.

space_114 said:
Tokai copies everything ..

Everyone who makes a dreadnought acoustic has been 'copying' Martin for over 100 years. Everyone who makes a violin has been 'copying' Stradivarius for over 300 years.

Big difference between copying and fraud.

looktoyourorb said:
As I said I am not knocking your guitar, some MIK models are awesome - I bought a PRS SE MIK over an ESP Eclipse Japan, it just felt way better to me. I have not tried any MIC yet for political & ethical reasons...you'll know what I mean if you check freedom of expression, working conditions, salaries and management attitude in Chinese factories. The words inhuman and slavery jump to my mind, and that's for children and adults.

And they turn a blind eye to the large scale production of counterfeit goods including guitars.

You'll find some people raving about MIK Love Rocks and SGs so as your guitar is from the same factory it's not going to be a bad axe.

I own a PRS SE also ..Nice guitar . As for human rights ..I agree that's a totally different ball of wax...

Paladin2019 said:
space_114 said:
Tokai copies everything ..

Everyone who makes a dreadnought acoustic has been 'copying' Martin for over 100 years. Everyone who makes a violin has been 'copying' Stradivarius for over 300 years.

Big difference between copying and fraud.

Copying is fraud and the difference is minimal .... although not a Stradivarious ...... a reasonable facsimile at a fracton of the cost is a beautiful thing .. "It's not the wand it's the Wizard !! :D

Latest posts

Back