lemondrop

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonah65

Reaction score
did tokai produce a lemondrop love rock during the eighties? what would they be worth now?
cheers jonah.

after reading that post back tonight, it maybe sounds a bit dumb :oops:
i allways find the old catologues on the tokai registry confusing, but it would seem like a lemondrop finish as we know it did not exist in the eighties, the nearest being the violin finish (as mentioned in earlier posts after using the search button) :roll:
price wise, it would seem they ranged from an als/tls/ls 60 up to an als/tls/ls 200 in the violin finish from about 1982 up to ? the closest to a lemondrop finish being in the 1985 catologue.
what would a 1982 ls 60 in violin finish be worth?
what about a 1982 ls 200?
are there still any on the planet?
how do the modern ls 85's compare to the vintage models?

Hi Jonah,

Well these questions are always difficult and subjective because it depends if your buying or selling? The short answer is they're worth whatever someone will pay for them! However, here in the UK if you could find any an 82 LS60 would be worth IMHO c?800 and an 82 LS200 somewhere around ?2Kish. If you imported from Japan probably more after shipping and duty.

The newer guitars are also very nice but the spec's are based on price as I'm sure you know so the guitars are not really comparable. In it's day LS200 was top of the range so it's roughly equivalent to a LS470 today.....most people on here will also agree that there's something about old matured dried out wood.......

Dave

thanks dave, the reason i am interested is, i would like to get hold of a good tokai love rock, and i totally agree the older ones do seem to sound/feel better. maybe tokai tried harder back then to replicate the gibsons/fenders, or as you say it could be just the age of the wood.
never having had the chance to play one, does the step up to a nitrocellulose
finish make much difference to the sound/tone quality, in which case an eighties ls 100 and above or a modern 150 and above would be the ones to go for.
as for the colour, that modern lemondrop flame does it for me, though the gibson vintage sunburst is cool. what bugs me, is you only seem to be able to find these finishes on the modern chinese als48, or on epi's. :-?
gerben has a great looking vf120 for sale, but 1750 euros is too much for me,just have to keep looking i suppose.

cheers-jonah.

Forum member Villager has some nice LS80s for sale http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/page%206%20Tokai.html He's no longer displaying prices on his web-site but you could pm him from here or contact via the web page.

I like nitro and it certainly feels nice. I doubt it afftects the tone much but that statement could lead to a nice healthy argument here as lot's wouldn't agree. :lol: .........but I've got and have had both old and new guitars in poly and nitro and I doubt it really makes much difference. It does feel nice, smoother and less sticky when playing, and IMHO it ages nicer.

Dave

The old '78-'82 LS80's are IMO the best specced and best sounding Les Pauls you can get for the money. Fantastic instruments!

they certainly look fantastic john, and if they are as good as you say they'd probably cost a fortune!
trouble is, would you be too scared to pick 'em up and strangle 'em :lol:
i think they maybe for serious collectors, to hang on the wall.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised! They are certainly players with some wear and dings so you shouldn't be afraid to put some more battle scars on them.

Dave

that certainly is a work of art ochay, absolutely beautiful, looks like a lemondrop that has aged really nicely, but is it in fact a violin finish with the red faded right out?
what sort of price would you put on her? :p

I believe this 1981 ls100 would qualify as a lemon drop 8)

4ee8.jpg

24be.jpg

That is SWEET !!! I guess there are some around from the early eighties, I've had two so far.

Back