Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Tokai :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:
Paladin2019 - i dont really mind about marks if they do come up as i will be replacing the tail piece hopefully soon anyway.

I was doing some googles a while back about tail wrapping and on i think it was mylespaul forum, some folk said that the sweet spot is where you have your strings - bridge - tail piece angle roughly the same to strings - nut - tunning pole thingys. basically the angles at the point where the strings bend. Sorry if i didnt explained it good enough

But that really doesnt concern me much for the moment as i am not a good guitarist enough to hear those difference anyway. Some day i will..

On that note, here's one more tidbit..... in order to have the proper angle from the nut to the tuning pegs, you have to have at least THREE winds around the post with the end running toward the nut is as close to the headstock as possible.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arghh.. bloody rocket science
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:

Not really.... simple physics. I say just string the bastard up any way you want and play the beast.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:

I prefer to think of it as black magic

I only do one wrap around the tuning peg becuase I use a self-locking restringing technique so fewer turns = better tuning stability.

It's far too easy to overthink this kind of thing and there's never a definitive answer; looking for one will drive you mad, so string up however you like and just play.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
warxy wrote:

I prefer to think of it as black magic

I only do one wrap around the tuning peg becuase I use a self-locking restringing technique so fewer turns = better tuning stability.

It's far too easy to overthink this kind of thing and there's never a definitive answer; looking for one will drive you mad, so string up however you like and just play.

+1
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha well said Paladin!
PonchoGreg
Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a seriously gorgeous guitar. Congrats!

+1 on the "pickguard off, zebra pickups" thing
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PonchoGreg wrote:
Wow, that's a seriously gorgeous guitar. Congrats!

Thank you!

PonchoGreg wrote:
+1 on the "pickguard off, zebra pickups" thing

I just cant wait till my next pay day so i can get new pickups
I had this sudden urge the other day and screwed the pickguard back on, played around with it for about 30 seconds and uninstalled the pickguard again. It just didnt feel good to my picking hand. Right now i filled those screw holes with some UHU tac (some kind of adhesive putties), now the guitar has this cool little yellow spot at the screw hole
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:
Right now i filled those screw holes with some UHU tac (some kind of adhesive putties), now the guitar has this cool little yellow spot at the screw hole

A lot of folks just screw the screws back in, which is reversible and looks about as neat as it can get
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:

A lot of folks just screw the screws back in, which is reversible and looks about as neat as it can get

Those stuff feels kinda like fresh chewed gum from your mouth or play doll in a less sticky way and i dont think they ever dry up. So i can pick them out anytime with a toothpick or something similar

Love these things, so useful
EDIT: oh this is not my photo btw, just a random one came up on google. I only have one pack.. maybe two
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue what that photo is of
Mick51
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:

Adhesive putty. Like the adhesive on 3M Post-It Notes.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick51 wrote:
marcusnieman wrote:

Adhesive putty. Like the adhesive on 3M Post-It Notes.

Gotcha....I'd go with putting the pickguard screws back in the holes. Seems to me that this stuff will leave goo in the holes that you can't get out if you ever want to..

I just leave my pickguard holes empty.
warxy
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some updates here. Snapped my high E string last night while i was doing some crazy bend so i changed the strings and did the wrap around. Had a play around today, couldnt really tell if the sustain has increased since the guitar just sustains forever when playing infront of the amp anyway. There's seem to be a slight increase in volume when playing acoustically but i could be imagining that
A noticeable change is that forced feedbacks (i dont know if thats what you call it) are now extremely easy to achieve and almost uncontrollable.

With all that, also comes a new problem. The G string now wont hold/sustain. It dies off slowly and unnaturally when i play any note on that string. Tried raising the bridge as i thought it could had been fret buzz but that didnt help so now im confused.. The other strings seem to be fine as like i said, sustains forever.

Ive finally decided that i will replace the bridge and tail piece with some tonepros locking ones. I dont like and cant take the way how everything comes off anyway when i change strings, especially the bridge. I feel like i have to readjust the height and intonation everytime.
After some research i found that the Tonepros T3BP bridge should drop right into the existing post s/thumbwheel without any mod and that the 'G style-M1 locking stud" for tail piece should drop right in with out problems as well. Correct me if im wrong? I find it very difficult in finding which model will fit as i have no idea on what all these ABR, nashville bridge is all about even after a whole night and day of google researching.
Any advices would be great!
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warxy wrote:
Any advices would be great!

I'll probably get lynched for this, but I say go with Faber hardware. Cheaper than Tonepros and better locking designs. I've used both and the TP stuff is now in a drawer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: