New Momose SG...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. Best guitar headstocks ever in my opinion. So classy. I've seen a few of those around the net. Just gorgeous. Congratulations.

So give us the full review. Especially the sound. How are the pickups?

I will give a full review soon.. I'm waiting for the weather to stabilize because all my guitars are buzzing right now because of the sudden temperature changes. .. and Yes, it's one of the coolest original headstocks I have seen in a long time

I'll give some physical reviews for the guitar since I don't have my main amp at home to crank it up to give a sound review...
The guitar is just beautiful. I try to capture in the photo the thin layer of lacquer "Orange Peel" finish. I'm a big fan of this look
url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/55963290@N08/5345171025/]
5345171025_be0fbd2ca2.jpg
[/url]
IMG00053-20110111-0020 by kaldi102, on Flickr
The neck width is wide as to be expected. The frets seem like jumbo, (I won't know the exact fretwire #)But what I really love is the light wood binding that surrounds the neck. It gives the guitar some contrast which is needed due to the black on brown look. The "MOMOSE" logo on the headstock is engraved in the wood which I think is really classy. The neck shape feels great..not too thin nor is it too chunky.
IMG00050-20110111-0019 by kaldi102, on Flickr

I set up the guitar with my usual Flat Wounds 11's. The hardware looks and feels like quality metal. The tuner are classic Kluson style with off-green tuning pegs which I really like. The serial # is stamped on back of the headstock

IMG00062-20110111-0024 by kaldi102, on Flickr

IMG00058-20110111-0022 by kaldi102, on Flickr
The weight is perfect.. nice and light enough to feel like an "expensive toy"
I usually use a Scoop Creation Works Strat 90% of the time, so Gibson necks and body shapes take some time getting used to....I don't think I'll have any problem with getting used to this guitar at all. :D
The only negative thing I can say is that the control knobs seem like thin and fragile plastic. I'm not going to take them off to find out. Time will tell. Also, these thin Nitro finishes are so delicate that they seem to scratch by the slightest touch. Even staring at the finish causes scratches! :p But if you are going to play it like your workhorse, it will relic nice with all your personal signature dings and stratches which makes your guitar even more personal of an item 8)
Any questions, please shoot them my way and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. Any facts about Momose that you would like to add would be awesome too!!!

Super Locrian said:
...The neck width is wide as to be expected. The frets seem like jumbo, (I won't know the exact fretwire #)...

Frets are Jescar FW9662-NS which is similar in size to Dunlop 6105 and to what is used on the Gibson Historics. It would be classified as medium jumbo as there are a couple of bigger sizes available. Although, I have to be honest those frets don't look as wide as the Gibson ones and about the same as what is on my Bacchus Duke which are definitely smaller than my old Historic, but I think the Momose frets might be higher.

I've heard that Jescar fret wire is better than anything else out there, and has a slightly different production method to make them a bit harder and longer lasting.

Looks like really great fret work, and a nice looking board as well! :)

I wanted to guess 6105s and yes, they are high frets, minus the width. Thank you for your input! :D

Awesome guitar dude, love Momoses!

Super Locrian said:
I usually use a Scoop Creation Works Strat 90% of the time

Pics of that would be cool. I love the look of the Les Paul copies they do.

Here you go.. probably the best strat I have ever own. Its a nice Aged LPB/ Ocean Turquoise with some green hue to it.. Fantastic color. It took a while for us to agree on a paint mixture..but I think we did a good job coming to decision :)url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/55963290@N08/5377024713/]
5377024713_29c3ec987a.jpg
[/url]
SCOOP LPB by kaldi102, on Flickr

IMG00086-20110122-0051 by kaldi102, on Flickr

IMG00083-20110122-0049 by kaldi102, on Flickr

Woah! You're obviously into your high-end Japanese guitars. I don't think there's been anyone on this board with either a Scoop or Van Zandt, now there's someone with both! Welcome aboard.

The Scoop colour is probably my favourite, but I love the Van Zandt too.

Thank you for the welcome. :D
Yes, I love the Scoop color more too.. The Van Zandt color is an oldies but goodies...can't hate it :wink:

Nice guitars! Never seen a Scoop before.

Both brands made by Deviser? They look like they are.

I'm thinking about trying some Van Zandt pickups in my Strat actually, have you got any review Marcus?

Latest posts

Back