LEFT HANDED TOKAIS LETTER FEB 1984 Re: FIRST PRODUCTION

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifeline

Reaction score
Finally found my Tokai letter from February1984 that refers to the first manufacture of Lefty Tokais (TST55L Goldstars).
First batch colours were BB, YSO and OW.

SA1-1.jpg

Tok21.jpg

I don't recall the moment Tokai lefties becoming available, mainly because at the time I wasn't looking around for a new guitar. I had bought a terrible (in hindsight) Condor LP type in 1980 and was quite happy with it, being it was the only lefty guitar I had ever seen. Couple years later my local music store started carrying lefty Fenders at a price that was way too high for me to afford one. I decided to get me another Condor, this time a strat type (I know, I know...). 1989 came around and I found myself with a little cash to burn and as it happens one of the guitar techs at the local shop happaened to be a lefty and just happened to have a Tokai Breezysound for sale. I had been playing Fender strats and teles all afternoon and wasn't at all happy with what was being offered. When I passed the counter on my way out, in the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a telecaster sitting in the workshop. Could it be a lefty? It was. And for sale!
Half an hour later I was proud second owner of this;
guitarsstuff003-1.jpg

guitarsstuff006.jpg

A beauty Olav, let me know when you bring her to the UK. Interesting re the serial no L21067, do you have neck body codes?
The three Lefty rosewood TST55L's bought by Peter Cook's Hanwell London in August 1984, all had serials betwwen L226xx and L228xx.
Both mine L22746, L22816 have same batch neck codes 4=8, i.e despatched April as per Tokai letter.

DSCN0623.jpg

NecksL22746L22816.jpg

L2274648BB.jpg

L22716TokaiReceipt16Aug1984.jpg

Thank you and pleased to share this Cali Girl. I'm fairly new to the forum though a long time Tokai enthusiast and Pro player.

Here's an April 1983 letter from Lucy at Blue Suede Music the UK Distributor, from my constant barrage to her & Eric to get Tokai to manufacture lefties.

BSMTOK.jpg

Thanks for that info lifeline, it's really nice to seem something like that that's concrete! Apparently (ie not concrete) in Japan being a lefty is considered a weakness so natural left-handers will learn right-handed. possibly the reason they weren produced from the start.

Thank you John, I'd read some of the topics about despatch body/neck codes and thought this may help. I believe you are correct about why left handed guitars were not produced until later, in the UK being left handed is still considered wrong (not right :wink: ) in some academic circles. McCartney did OK though.

Peter

Hi just thought I would chip in with the serial number on my l/h goldstar from 1984. It's 19539 no letters solid red and maple neck,never had the neck off to look at the codes!
There are photo's of it on the forum somewhere.

Thanks for that info Bazz . The thread for your excellent picture is I believe: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13371&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=goldstar&start=15

Yes there were lefty Maple fingerboard Goldstars in the first batch. Maple boards should not have the L prefix in the serial number, hence your earlier number beginning 19xxx. It would be great if you could look under the scratch plate of your Goldstar next time you change strings and advise the body and colour codes. You probably know there are 3 types of production code. i.e, 4=9, 4-9 or 4.9 The first number being month of production/despatch . You may find the codes in the neck cavity as per my Fiesta Red TST60L(Flamingo Orange- Colour code: FO).

Interesting You, Stelyn and myself all had our lefty Goldstars refretted by Charlie Chandler. Superb work and great guy.

Back