Which Tokai Model?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon135

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I'm a new member at this forum but is already familiarized with the forum since I read posts. I am planning to buy a Tokai Les Paul Model which is closest as possible to the "Slash" tone while using stock pickups, and the same amplifier. Some people say LS-85, LS-95, LS-150, and therefore making me very much confused. I played them all and they all sounded same to MY ears. I really need your help and I trust in you guys. Thanks.

P.S. Price limit is $1000

Hi there and welcome to the forum. If I were you, I'd keep it simple and choose a guitar that fits into your budget. Whilst you say they all sound the same, you haven't said whether any of them match your criteria in terms of the tone that you're aiming to achieve. If they all sound the same and you like what you're hearing and the feel of the guitars, I'd probably buy the cheapest. Good luck and let us know which one, if any, you decide to go for.

I need a specific answer from your experiences with the mentioned guitars and not tips or hints. I want a direct answer on which model would you prefer.

All 3 have the same pickups so tone will be very similar in all 3 guitars

Check out the specs on this link:

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

The higher the model number the higher the specifications but even the base models are excellent musical instruments which will last a lifetime.

The 85 will have a 2 or 3 piece back with plain maple top. The 95VF will have 2 piece back, 2 piece maple cap with a flame veneer. The 160 will have one piece back, better quality caps, bridge and tailpiece and nitro finish - all of these things come down to personal taste.

I have both lower end and higher end MIJ Tokais and to be honest my LS75Q is all the guitar anyone would ever need. So if your budget is $1000, rest assured you will get an excellent instrument whatever you choose...and once you've bought one, then start saving for the next....MIJ guitars are very addictive...I now have 7 Tokais and all are excellent...

John.

dragon135 said:
I need a specific answer from your experiences with the mentioned guitars and not tips or hints. I want a direct answer on which model would you prefer.

You might as well ask what's the definitive best flavour of ice cream.

If you think they all sounded the same then they all sounded the same. It's not that far fetched, they all have the same pickups and have similar hardware and wood. Our opinion won't change what you heard.

They may have SOUNDED the same... but how did they FEEL when you played them? If you can't distinguish on sound then make up your mind based on the other (arguably more important) factors you experienced. And if you STILL can't make a decision then just buy the cheaper model because there's no point spending all that extra money when you can't tell the difference. This is about YOU, not us.

This post deliberately contains no opinions one way or the other, because if you think a bunch of anonymous armchair experts on the internet should be making your mind up for you then you've been spending way too much time on Harmony Central. Also your selection criteria (ie. sounds like Slash) is very limiting and, without wishing to cause offence, sounds a bit like going into a car dealership and asking for one that goes fast.

Tone comes from the hands of the player as well. You can give me the same tools as a brain surgeon but I **** sure won't operate the same way he does.

dragon135 said:

Quick tip dragon135 you might not have meant it this way but this post comes across as really rude and might be why not many people have replied.

Any of the models will make an excellent guitar, I've got an LS-85 and as for sounding like Slash I don't!

The guitar is only one part of the equation. Pickups play big part - Slash uses signature Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II that are wound for slightly more output than a regular ANP, amp - marshall tube, effects - who knows.

Wish you luck on your quest for Slash tone.

LB

dragon135 said:

I'm sure we would all prefer the 150, and in a blindfolded test I bet none of us could tell the differecnce they all sound so similar. Fof Slash tones ANY good Les Paul will do the trick and these are all good Les Pauls. Go fpr the one that suits your budget.

'I played them all and they all sounded same to MY ears."

There's your answer.
Now play them all again and choose the one that feels best in your hands...as long as it's in your budget of course.
Problem is, they're all going to feel very similar as well, you might end up having to choose your favourite colour.

Trust me, Slash could do a concert tour with an LS85/92, without changing a thing on the guitar.

Back