Prices going up - the next episode

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schokosapiens said:
The more I have come to know about and love the vintage MIJ guitars the more I think some of them have reached ridiculous heights - Does he realize the economy's down? OK, it is vintage and rare, but they are selling high end guitars (none vintage) everywhere on fleabay at not similar but much lower prices and they just don't find a buyer, put it on ebay ten times in a row and still don't sell it - this is just hype, I am afraid.
There is also an LS150 from 1991 for 18oo ? on German ebay ... someone's gonna buy it??

There's an LS-320 on Rinkya right now for 100k yen, or about USD $1250, probably landed for about USD $1550.

These other hypers are dreaming.

Maybe but maybe not.When a EGF 1200 came up for 2300 euros last summer everybody said the seller is nuts.He even came in here trying to xplain that he is trying to get that price but would accept offers.But during 3 days somebody bought it for 2300 and the seller came back asking : who is the nutter now ? ;-)
Never say never !Even in times of bad economics some people have money,others don't.Gibson is sellung copies from Bloomfields,Felders and Gibbons guitar for rediculous prices and they are sold out in a few weeks.

t.olsen said:
Maybe but maybe not.When a EGF 1200 came up for 2300 euros last summer everybody said the seller is nuts.He even came in here trying to xplain that he is trying to get that price but would accept offers.But during 3 days somebody bought it for 2300 and the seller came back asking : who is the nutter now ? ;-)

There's always one! :lol:

The usual price for EGF-1200s on Rinkya has been around 200k yen, although I haven't looked for a while, because I don't care anymore! :D

200k yen = 1850 Euros, I guess it's actually pretty close due to shipping and the taxes in Europe? Cripes they may have only just broken even! This is a disaster!

In spite of all this, the LS-320 is what I'd prefer, just better specs and will eventually, easily be as good as a 1200 (IMO).

JVsearch said:
t.olsen said:

There's always one! :lol:

The usual price for EGF-1200s on Rinkya has been around 200k yen, although I haven't looked for a while, because I don't care anymore! :D

200k yen = 1850 Euros, I guess it's actually pretty close due to shipping and the taxes in Europe? Cripes they may have only just broken even! This is a disaster!

Yes,1850 and you can add 100-150 for shipping.On this total around 2000 euros comes a charge of 25 % taxes...can you imagine that I even have to pay 25% on the shipping costs ? :evil: Unbelievable ! Best is to declare lower,german goverment doesn't deserve anything else !

+1 same in the UK. Most regular sellers (business traders) sellers won't declare lower values. It'll soon be cheaper to buy a plane ticket!

Dave

I hate paying taxes as much as anyone, but if everyone imported eveything and didn't pay tax where would the government get it's income?

Although I don't like it I tend to agree that VAT & Duty should be paid on new product but disagree on second hand guitars. I guess the problem would be that it would be easy to find loopholes in that and it'd be very hard to police.

Dave

JohnA said:
I hate paying taxes as much as anyone, but if everyone imported eveything and didn't pay tax where would the government get it's income?

I have no idea why the german government has the right to take import taxes on a 30 year old japanese guitar,sold in the meanwhile for years to the USA.And the biggest riddle is for me why they take 25% on the shipping costs.
Anyway you are right John,I know it is not ok but sometimes the only way to buy a rare guitar.I guess not much of us are millionairs but wait...wasn't it you who told me Cliff will declare lower for shure ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cheaper one from UK failed...bad chances for the more expensive 1200 in Germany but the seller said she is near mint.Perhaps the crack in the maple cap held people away from buying it ?

Hi everybody - it just came to my mind that there might be a thread on the tokaiforum about my offer. So, I'm the seller of the egf 1200 from germany. I've not been on the forum for some time as the priorities in my life had changed, but I'm still in MIJ Les Pauls, up to now mainly as a player. I appreciate your discussion. And - no surprise the main topic is the price ...

Of course it is... :wink:
On one side people who bought those guitars in the good old times when it still was possible to get a 1200 or 1800 for 1000usd are surprised but on the other side that's what you have to pay today for a 1200 in near mint condition and we've seen several times this year in ebay that people are willing to pay it.I remember guitars in much poorer condition going for a few hundred euros less.I bought a 1200 2 months ago and even if everybody told me that the prices went ridiculous now - I wanted a 1200 so bad,I wanted one in near mint condition and the only way when one came up was to pay the price ! The result is that I play her every day and have no regrets at all.It's exactly the guitar I was dreaming of and I am curious to see what people are paying for a near mint 1200 in 10 years :wink:

I guess threre are three roads one can take: buy it because the sentimental value (closely linked to what we know as GAS) is what matters to you, buy because you think you get some real value for THAT price, which I personally cannot tell because I never lay my hands on a 1200, keep away from it because you buy your guitars with a balance between real value and some sort of sentimental value (or feel, or vibe, whatever you wanna call it) and you cannot be sure about that without checking it in person.
I think it is all about the difference between value and price which usually get mixed up and are, at least, dependend on totally subjective views on what a guitar should be like, look like, sound like and mean to someone. I for one found old guitars that blew me away as well as new ones. Real good guitars won't come real cheap anyway. Problem is that afficionados of either kind do tend to think their experience can be generalised. Hope that skywolf gets what he wants and someboy buys what he dreams of buying:)

Latest posts

Back