Show me your pedal boards!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipps

Reaction score
I've just built up my latest pedal board and I'm interested to see what everyone is using and how they're all arranged... This was my old pedalboard - (ignore the twin loopers - I was using the Akai as a delay)

And now, after much faffing, rewiring and buying new pedals, I have my flash, double decker Swan Flightcase board. It's not quite finished yet, but it's on the way.

Still to come: neater wiring (from Planet Waves patch kit), a compressor that works better than my home made BYOC one, a volume pedal (bottom right) and who knows... and maybe a(nother) boost.

I justify all of these in that I play in an indie/pop band and use (nearly) all of these in our set. The Fender/BOSS reverb only gets turned on when I'm using my Ampmaker 18W clone and the looper is mainly for my own amusement.

WYG? :)

Nice :)
I was chatting to JohnA about this. I was perfectly happy with just a tuner for years and then I've suddenly gone pedal crazy in the last year or so.

They're slightly less expensive to buy and collect than guitars too.

Mine (a bit of a mess as it's in th eprocess of being pulled apart) There's no need for 5 distortion pedals, it was 6 until recently, just sold a zvex distortron!

DSC02085.jpg

Say John, I believe some of these fine pedals are for sale, are they not? ;)

I reckon I need at least one or two more distortion pedals. I don't have a fuzz (apart from the Proctavia, which doesn't really count) and I don't have a proper Rat-style distortion either...

They are all for sale, having one of those mad out with the old in with the new moments which I'll probably regret and spend the next 6 months hunting down a load of old pedals :roll:

A Rat is a great 'proper' lead sound pedal, and a nice fuzz is alway's good to have, still can't beat guitar->cable->amp though :D

still can't beat guitar->cable->amp though

I agree. I went to my last band rehearsal without my pedalboard just to prove that to myself. I could play absolutely every song we do with just my two channel (reverb) amp - but I do also like that extra 10% polish that pedals can give some sounds.

Chipps said:
still can't beat guitar->cable->amp though

I agree. I went to my last band rehearsal without my pedalboard just to prove that to myself. I could play absolutely every song we do with just my two channel (reverb) amp - but I do also like that extra 10% polish that pedals can give some sounds.

That's exactly what I did, left everything at home but a Tokai Les Paul and a Marshall and the band was very non-rock, and it sounded great, missed my delay a bit though :)

It felt good , made me feel like a real guitarist :D

I've had a slight addiction to the little stomp boxes. I could seriously get into collecting them i think.

I've created a set on flickr which details the lunacy i've gone through. I should go towards a nova station and a wah wah really. But i just love the hands on aspect of it all. this is the set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48441708@N08/sets/72157623984102048/with/5221998454/

I've got some time off this week, so I'm going to attempt to shoe horn another two pedals on. A MXR dyna comp and a Voodoo Lab tremolo pedal. Although i do love the sound, look and size of the lovepedal pickle vibe. And i do miss my TS9........... :lol:

This is the current pedal board set up, before i've tinkered with it, again apologies on the not so good photo's.

set-72157623984102048

Nice - and well documented. What sort of music are you playing with all that modulation and freaky oscillation pedals?

I'm now looking to buy a Wee Fuzz kit from www.diypedalkits.com - and I may, er, have just bought an old Rat pedal AND a booster... erm...

Oh, and I will have a TC Nova System for sale shortly too if you want to downscale. (I'll accept part-ex too) :)

Well, my board pictured above has now gone and been replaced with a Line 6 M9 :eek: So far so good, the individual effects are fantastic, apart from some of the drives, the whole think will fit in a gig bag, and I have enough cash left over after getting rid of all the pedals to buy a new guitar :D

I am a bit concerned that at gig volume I might start to notice some of the artifacts I attribute to digital modelly things like pods and the like! When I've tried modelling amps they seem to not cut through like a valve amp, but I'm quietly confident that this little thing is going to cut it!

Well i used to play in a 8 piece funky-hip hop band. With the odd drum and bass song. I never used to used them that much to be honest. I like to think of them like spices in cooking :)
I should have really bought a multi effects pedal, i may look into one. I've been thinking about a Nova Station. But i just dont think you can beat the stand alone quality of individual stomp boxes. For example my friends fuzz octave up setting on his GT-10 sounds pretty dire compared to my Fulltone Ultimate Octave pedal. I dont think that the phaser sounds on the nova station would sound as good as my boss PH1-r, but i may be wrong. All i know is that the value of that pedal has gone up nearly 80% since i bought it in 2006-7 8)

I bought my Nova multi effects with that in mind, but although the sounds are really very good, I don't think I have the patience to programme it all in. It would make lots of sense though - as there are a few tunes that go from 'clean with tremolo and reverb' to 'bonkers super distortion' in one go (Radiohead's Creep anyone?) - and I guess I could have three patches per song to keep it super simple and easy to work (something like 'Clean rhythm, crunchy lead and louder crunchy lead with a touch of delay - it's all possible')

Ironically, one of the things that put me off the TC Nova System, was getting the TC Nova repeater delay - it was so easy to just twiddle the knobs and get the sound that going through menus (which admittedly offer far more control) wasn't as appealing.

Perhaps I should take advantage of all this snow and programme the Nova System. That or make up lots more patch cables for my pedalboard :)

I think thats why the stomp boxes are so popular. It's the fact you can just get in, and get the sound your after. The multi effects make sense to me, if i was in say a covers band. You could just program the sound your after, and then forget about it. My problem has always been I'm drawn to effects pedals that i know a) sound bonkers b) im never going to use them in a live situation.

I do miss the Digitech synth wah, that was particularly off the wall. But i dont think my little Blues deluxe's speaker could handle the low end that pedal puts out :lol:

Photo-0117.jpg

A couple of years ago I went pedal crazy, then I went DIY pedal crazy, and finally pedal modding crazy. It lasted about 2 years and I've finally grown out of the unending quest for 'tone'!

The board is home-made, and deliberately laid out so that I can't keep adding to it. Self-control!

You've still got room for a couple of little pedals there :)
Can you run through what they all are? Are some home-made?
And is the top level on its own loop?

Chipps said:
You've still got room for a couple of little pedals there :)
Can you run through what they all are? Are some home-made?
And is the top level on its own loop?

Three on the lower layer are home-made BYOC kits, each modded to my own specs. The way I have it laid out is that the bottom layer are all in the main line, and the top layer is the amp's FX loop and reverb footswitch.

We have a Crybaby 535Q Copper wah (modded by Stuart Castledine), a BYOC fuzz face, a modded Big Muff, a BYOC Rangemaster and a BYOC Tubescreamer. On top there's a MonkeyFX true bypass loop containing a DM3 analogue delay, modded CE2 chorus, and a Yamaha FL10 Flanger.

I refuse to have any more pedals or do any more modding, for the sake of my own sanity! :lol:

Nice.. I've made a couple of BYOC kits - a tremelo and a compressor and still use the trem a lot (the compressor needs some joints checking I think as it's gone a little inconsistent).

You have many fuzz boxes there - and JohnA thought it was greedy to have five distortions...

Chipps said:
You have many fuzz boxes there - and JohnA thought it was greedy to have five distortions...

It's not that bad. One vintage fuzz, one modern high gain fuzz, one overdrive and one vintage boost! All the dirt bases covered.

Latest posts

Back