Hi Ian...everybody - what's your take on this one at G-gai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CS Jones

Reaction score
http://www.guitargai.com/html_folder/gai_otherCA6.html#

What color would you say that is?
Anything else about it would be appreciated. I know his prices seem a little steep but they all seem to be great shape and well kept.

My '80 Springy Sound (the sunburst one) came in from mijguitar on ebay. It had way too thin (for me) and old strings (.009s I believe) on it that rattled a lot and slapped against the fretboard. I was so eager to open it and play it that I stopped by a park on my way home and sat on my tailgate in the cold rain playing it after I unboxed it. My initial reaction was mixed but not negative. I took it home and gave it a set up. I use a hybrid mix of string gauges (.012s on the high E and .050s on the low E and a mix of different guages in between - I buy the strings in individual packs in bulk to try and save a little money). It took the heavier guage strings great. The trem bridge only pulled up slightly after all was done causing the string height to rise overall but not nearly as bad as I thought it might. I was very happy with this. The thinner strings let you keep the action low but I just have never been happy with the playing feel of thinner strings.

The neck is a very nice feeling semi-chunky C shape. The rosewood board feels very nice too. More fret wear than I had thought there'd be... understandable for what looks to have been a player's guitar over the last 25 years. The pickups sound wonderful. The wood grain doesn't match very well (it's a 2 piecer) -

bottom line - I like it a lot. It's a keeper. I need more time with it to get the hang of the curved fretboard - one of the reasons I shyed away from Strats all these years. I haven't gigged yet with it which is the biggest factor on whether I love it or not. Unfortunately I've had to back away from playing for the next month due to being overwhelmed with other things going on right now. The first week in April is my next scheduled night out so I'll get back to you all, if you're interested, after that.

Thanks everyone on Tokai Registry.
These truly are great guitars. I'm happy to be part of this!

Now to find that one last LS-80 :D

Clay

Hi Clay - well, nice looking guitar, looks like Oxblood or that Transparent Wine finish you get on late 1970?s Gibbo Deluxe. And price is OK, given recent trends. I wouldn?t buy it though. And more particularly, I wouldn?t buy it if I were you (ie having just bought 3 nice Tokais & looking just for one more special guitar).

Why? Well that guitar has 14deg headstock & Dimarizio PAF?s ? but for same price I?d definitely hold out for 1978-79 Les Paul Reborn LS80, which has 18deg & early Gotoh pups (better & rarer IMHO), not to mention Les Paul name on headstock (which adds collector value).

Reborn LS100 or 120 is alternative, but I wouldn't pay extra because they?re exactly same as Reborn-80, except for Dimarizio pups (doubtful upgrade IMO) ... Reborn LS150 &/or 200 got solid flamed top (check that), which may be worth it if you want flames (but I don?t think you do want flames?). That?s why I like LP Reborn LS80 model ? does exactly what it says on the tin lol. Just my opinion of course :-? .

Ian.

Ha,.. nice description of stopping to open the box, sitting on the tailgate playing in the winter rain. In the eBay photos I thought that top looked pretty good, in fact whole guitar looked pretty good, although I think seller did say something about a bit of fret wear? I wonder if it would benefit from a serious pro set-up ? I?m usually wary of that, because I hear too many examples of them messing things up, ? but maybe it needs frets dressing & truss adjustment to set things nicely? Don?t you also have an Oly White Springy on the way? I?m losing track of all your stuff :eek: !

My Heritage-80 arrived last Tuesday ? in better condition that I expected, just small dents & scratches, frets are fine ? great vintage look. Tone is less woody & perhaps less resonant than my LS60 ? but in some respects it?s more complex (especially high up from 12th fret onwards). I think this guitar would also benefit from a good pro setup ? it?s something we can overlook when buying old guitars on eBay ? they often need some work & money spent to put things right. Lol, you don?t really want to see a photo, do you :-? ?

Ian.

you don?t really want to see a photo, do you ?

YES! :evil: AS MANY AS YOU CAN POST!

I live in an area where it's really difficult to get quality fret/nut work done. I've been tempted to hit StewMac for the tools and just start trying to learn how to do it myself. I can practice on my $65 Peavey Predators :lol:
(great cheap guitars actually - I kick myself for selling a Peavey Reactor tele a couple years back)
I'd even be interested in sending the guitars away to a reputable skilled tech to have the work done. Someone "in the big city" - not out here in the sticks.

yes Ian...that creamy colored (?) one is in transit. I'm sure I overpaid for it. The guy charged me $45 to ship it from Calif to Florida. (actual shipping cost will probably come to around $25). Plus, after the auction ended, he offered to sell me a cheap and beaten up tweed case for it for $40 (you can buy a generic tweed case brand new from MF for $40). It would be easier for him to ship he said. I thought "man, if it means that much to you to squeeze out an extra $65 from the sale afterwards...fine, you must need the money more than I do". :roll: It just seems rather pathetic to me. That's an example of one of the main problems when buying from ebay. You can't really complain about it in the "feedback" section because the guy will just retaliate. This has happened with me several times now and I just eat the extra cost rather than going down the tit for tat feedback route. FWIW, I have never charged anything but actual shipping costs with guitar/amp/effects sales I've done.

Now, on to the pics of the Heritage 80!

Hi Clay, well let?s see if this works ? should be pic of the Heritage80 laying on top of early 1965 MK-1 mini-Bluesbreaker (guitar in background is 78 US Tele) :-? .

Heritage80.jpg

Ian

Ian...Wow.
Beautiful. That's a quilt top Elite then huh?
I looks like it's 1966 all over again and your just waiting for EC to arrive!

Any more pics?

Hi Clay ? sure, what else would you like to see ? maybe the headstock where top 1/4-ins was cut off, or full body shot showing grain/colour/hardware, or other? :-? .

Ian.

ian said:
Hi Clay, well let?s see if this works ? should be pic of the Heritage80 laying on top of early 1965 MK-1 mini-Bluesbreaker (guitar in background is 78 US Tele) :-? .

Heritage80.jpg

Ian

Excuse me whilst I drool...... :eek:

Beautiful is the only word that comes to my mind!

Thanks Redfish ... I was just posting it because Clay asked about the guitar (he also has a Heritage-80), but I hope Ned will tell me if it takes too much space. Really I just meant to post a link, but the whole photo just appeared on the page ... hmm, must sort that out lol :) !

Ian.

Beautiful is the only word that comes to my mind!

Agreed!
Man, yours is way prettier than mine Ian. Do you have a website to upload more pics too? I'd like to see it up close from different angles.

I've cloned that Marshall several times now. Great amp.

Back