Pickups: Antiquity VS. Seth Lover VS Alnico II pro

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minoupark

Reaction score
Been looking around for replacement pickups for my LS.
I was thinking of buying a pair of Alnico II pros, but after watching youtube clips of 59 bursts, I became obsessed with that hollow, woody sound.
From what I have heard through internet video postings, it seems to me like the Antiquity pickups from SD are the closest in terms of that particular sound quality that I am looking for. It feels silly, however, to have to pay for cosmetic factors such as beat up looking covers and such. Some seem to think that Seth Lovers are practically identical to the Antiquities, but offered at a more reasonable price.
Anyone who has experience with any of these, especially the Antiquity and Seth Lover, please let me know what you think about them. Thanks :p

Antiquities are nice, but I'll take the Seth Lovers any day. They are still wound just like the original PAF's - that Seth himself founded.

I think you are right, the Aniquities are just aged Seth Lovers. IMO there are much nicer PAF style pickups out there:

RD Pickups P1'1
Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays
Petere Florance Voodoo 59's
Gibson '57 Classics

to name a few

Keep your eyes peeled on ebay for second hand ones and save some cash!

Bit late reply...

I had the Antiquities in my Gibson Les Paul Standard. They are nice pickups, bright and aggressive. For the neck they are great, for the bridge I'd pick a pickup with more bottom end..

Spent the day after the earthquake soldering Alnico II Slash into my guitar. Gotta say I am very satisfied with the sound. I found the distorted sound of MKII too muddy and boomy. I liked the clean sound of it though. I think it did the PAF-like sound quite well.
SD Slash is not so PAF-ish, but very good nevertheless.

5519736348_6cae6d5eba_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back