Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weird Neck Joint on Burny LP Custom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you mean this one?

Udonitron
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I JUST scooped this one up this morn, could not resist the color and it being a custom. Should be interesting to see what it is. I would guess late 70's or 80...hard to tell if the neck is a 3 piece or not but might be. We will see I suppose. They are killer guitars and cheaper due to not getting the publicity that Greco etc have gotten but I suspect they will.

jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! 70s TRC I'd say
3pupLPC
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacco wrote:
did you mean this one?

No, but it may as well have been!
TheNewSteveH
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd come back to this thread and point out that this has turned out to be a very sweet guitar. I put a Bigsby and a Vibramate on it. The pickups are wonderful for blues, and the neck is very nice.

It weighs a ton, but I got an excellent Levy's strap that's 3" wide, so no problem. One thing that's interesting: it won't fit in an SKB case now that the Bigsby is on it. You can force it, but I am told the guitar is thicker than a Gibson, so it doesn't really work. Doesn't matter which way the Bigsby is pointing.

I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat, but because I got such a good result with Matsumoku, I would want to be sure I didn't get a regular non-Matsumoku Burny. I keep an eye on Ebay Arias from this time period.
Ramblin
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RLC65 from 84/85.. The one with 3 pickups. It has the same tenon as the TheNewSteveH's guitar. Very nice guitar, and has a slightly thicker body than my LP standard.
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matsumoku made some great guitars and unfortunately went out of business around 1987.

Matsumoku were using bolts to secure the neck body join with more strength and Fujigen were using dowels in a similar way.

Don't get hung up on tenons.
Basically a tenon just joins the neck and body and all this stuff about long tenons and sustain are all basically selling features used by sellers to promote their item so someone will buy it because the original 50s Gibsons did have a long tenon and Gibson went to a medium tenon in the 70s and if someone can prove that a 50s Gibson has more sustain then a 70s Gibson then I'd like to see it.

According to the long tenon sustain theory, a Strat with a large shim in the neck pocket should have the sustain of a Banjo.

I've got a Strat with a large shim in the neck pocket that has a Duncan JB in it and it sustains as much as any long tenon guitar I've played and I can't pickup any difference between all of the different tenon guitars I've played.
The pickup itself is like 500% more important than the tenon for tone and sustain.

The Fernandes/Burny/Matsumoku link is mentioned in this article http://www.daeschler.com/articles/fujigen/

"One of the local dealers in Hiroshima occasionally send his employees to a training course to Matsumoku, the manufacturer or Aria, Westone and a part of the Fernandes-programme."
jacco
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey turns out, you're right about the Dyna Gakki connection. Here's a quote from a guy a MLKP forum that live sin Japan and talked to a former Dyba Gakki employee that now works in a guitars tore:

?I chatted with the guy tonight and it turns out he worked for..........DYNA GAKKI......... from 1990-92. He couldn't tell me anything about when they were made at Fujigen, but he could tell me that Dyna Gakki made Burny's whilst he was there!!!
He also mentioned that Dyna Gakki was part of the Fujigen group and that they stopped producing Greco's just after he arrived.?

So some blank spots can be filled in now!

Also interesting that Dyna was making Greco's int he last 80s!!
japanstrat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Dyna Gakki was making the early 90s Burnys but the Greco LPs from around 1990 just don't look like Dyna Gakki, they look like Fujigen (compare the Fujigen Orville control cavity).

This 1990 Greco has a bolt neck and a YXXXX serial number.

The YXXXX serial number has sometimes been suggested that it is from Dyna Gakki but from what I've seen from the routing, the MYYXXXX and the YXXXX Greco serial number formats are both made by Fujigen.

Dyna Gakki might have made some other Greco models like maybe the Greco GO or other models (Dyna Gakki made the Ibanez Blazers and Fujigen made other Ibanez models) and maybe there are some Dyna Gakki Greco LP's but I havn't seen any so far.

early 1990s Burny (Dyna Gakki?)

Fujigen 1993 Orville

1990 Greco YXXXX serial number format

A 1988 MYYXXXX serial format Greco, same routing as the 1990 YXXXX serial format Greco above and the 1993 Fujigen Orville.
The MYYXXXX serial format was also used on the Fujigen made Ibanez's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: