Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Momose Strat 50k Yen Start!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Bacchus/Momose/Deviser
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JVsearch
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2017
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Momose Strat 50k Yen Start! Reply with quote

Nice looking Momose MC for sale on Yahoo:
http://www.rinkya.com/twview.pl?URL=http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n87442205
_________________
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrazenPicker
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 177
Location: Bangkok

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's a really low opening price. I'll watch the bidding and move in myself if it looks like it's going cheaply. That color is kinda ugly but at that price you could get it refinished and still have a good deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
youami
Guitar God


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 651
Location: Aussie in NZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great colour - why would anyone consider refinishing that? Crazy.

Refinish the headstock into an attractive shape, sure, that makes perfect sense....... Right now it looks like a small croc has taken a bite out of it!

Has there ever been an uglier shaped headstock for a Strat than that? It makes the Fret Kings look good!
Back to top
BrazenPicker
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 177
Location: Bangkok

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just the opposite taste. I absolutely love the Momose strat headstock shape. I've even been thinking of getting a partscaster from USA Custom Guitars and ask them to make that shape for me (so that I can get all the other specs to my taste). Normally I'm really conservative about headstock shapes and nothing but the Fender one would do for me, but the Momose one really grew on me. But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock.

As to that metallic strawberry color, no thanks.

Anyway, the auction closed at 68k Yen, really not all that much. But then again a couple of weeks ago there was one at a buy it now of 82k Yen and it was there for several weeks before someone picked it up. It was in better condition than today's as well ("mint" vs 70% of fret life left, which probably means it's starting to show some pronounced fret wear).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnA
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 4176
Location: Leicester UK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrazenPicker wrote:
..... But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock.


Oh dear!! Bloody awful IMO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JVsearch
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2017
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrazenPicker wrote:
We have just the opposite taste. I absolutely love the Momose strat headstock shape. I've even been thinking of getting a partscaster from USA Custom Guitars and ask them to make that shape for me (so that I can get all the other specs to my taste). Normally I'm really conservative about headstock shapes and nothing but the Fender one would do for me, but the Momose one really grew on me. But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock.

As to that metallic strawberry color, no thanks...


+1, and I don't mind the headstock shape at all, it's grown on me (looks quite good in the flesh).

And what the hell is a guitar builder going to do when they want to make a guitar with a 6 on one side tuning system? And they don't want to copy Fender?
_________________
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BrazenPicker
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 177
Location: Bangkok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnA wrote:
BrazenPicker wrote:
..... But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock.


Oh dear!! Bloody awful IMO


Thanks for not running me off the forum.

The first time I saw the Tyler headstock it looked like a joke to me. But then I saw a guy play a Tyler live and it grew on me. Maybe it's that sometimes these things look different "in the flesh" than in a picture. Unfortunately, the Suhr headstock still makes me shudder. In terms of design philosophy, I admire the company a lot. If Leo Fender were alive today, I'm pretty sure he would admire this company the most. At least they're not completely closed-minded and beholden to the vintage thing. Their SSC (silent single coil system) is probably the biggest innovation to hit Strat-style guitars in decades, they're now offering "vulcanized" necks, don't peddle the whole nitro hype, use stainless steel frets.... but that beak headstock is and will be a dealbreaker for me. As to the Momose one, I like it because it's definitely reminiscent of the Fender headstock (and the G&L one as well), while still managing to be clearly distinct. But I think I'm just rationalizing an esthetic preference here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrazenPicker wrote:
Their SSC (silent single coil system) is probably the biggest innovation to hit Strat-style guitars in decades, they're now offering "vulcanized" necks, don't peddle the whole nitro hype, use stainless steel frets.... but that beak headstock is and will be a dealbreaker for me. As to the Momose one, I like it because it's definitely reminiscent of the Fender headstock (and the G&L one as well), while still managing to be clearly distinct. But I think I'm just rationalizing an esthetic preference here.



Vulcanized necks? Does that mean the're coated with rubber? Or they're made by Mr. Spock?


Back to top
BrazenPicker
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 177
Location: Bangkok

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means they heat the wood at a very high temperature (400 F or something) in an oxygen free kiln (otherwise it would just burn up). I've seen microscopic pictures of such wood and it's very similar to 300 year old wood. It makes the wood lighter, more water repellent, more resonant, more stable, etc. Check out the threads on thegearpage.net. It seems legit from what I've been able to find out about it. Charvel and some other builders have also started doing it (some call it "carbonized" or "chocolatized"):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-Custom-Carbonized-Abella-San-Dimas-Guitar-F-R-/110578590054?pt=Guitar&hash=item19beff6166
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stratman323
Guest





PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrazenPicker wrote:
Check out the threads on thegearpage.net. It seems legit from what I've been able to find out about it.


Thanks, but no thanks. My head is more than sufficiently full of useless information already, I don't need any more!
Back to top
BrazenPicker
Guitar God


Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 177
Location: Bangkok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stratman323 wrote:
Thanks, but no thanks. My head is more than sufficiently full of useless information already, I don't need any more!


Fair enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Bacchus/Momose/Deviser All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group