Momose Strat 50k Yen Start!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, that's a really low opening price. I'll watch the bidding and move in myself if it looks like it's going cheaply. That color is kinda ugly but at that price you could get it refinished and still have a good deal.

That's a great colour - why would anyone consider refinishing that? :eek: Crazy.

Refinish the headstock into an attractive shape, sure, that makes perfect sense....... Right now it looks like a small croc has taken a bite out of it!

Has there ever been an uglier shaped headstock for a Strat than that? It makes the Fret Kings look good! :lol:

We have just the opposite taste. :p I absolutely love the Momose strat headstock shape. I've even been thinking of getting a partscaster from USA Custom Guitars and ask them to make that shape for me (so that I can get all the other specs to my taste). Normally I'm really conservative about headstock shapes and nothing but the Fender one would do for me, but the Momose one really grew on me. But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock. :eek:

As to that metallic strawberry color, no thanks.

Anyway, the auction closed at 68k Yen, really not all that much. But then again a couple of weeks ago there was one at a buy it now of 82k Yen and it was there for several weeks before someone picked it up. It was in better condition than today's as well ("mint" vs 70% of fret life left, which probably means it's starting to show some pronounced fret wear).

BrazenPicker said:
We have just the opposite taste. :p I absolutely love the Momose strat headstock shape. I've even been thinking of getting a partscaster from USA Custom Guitars and ask them to make that shape for me (so that I can get all the other specs to my taste). Normally I'm really conservative about headstock shapes and nothing but the Fender one would do for me, but the Momose one really grew on me. But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock. :eek:

As to that metallic strawberry color, no thanks...

+1, and I don't mind the headstock shape at all, it's grown on me (looks quite good in the flesh).

And what the hell is a guitar builder going to do when they want to make a guitar with a 6 on one side tuning system? And they don't want to copy Fender?

JohnA said:
BrazenPicker said:
..... But then, I'm even starting to like the Tyler headstock. :eek:

Oh dear!! Bloody awful IMO :D

Thanks for not running me off the forum. :)

The first time I saw the Tyler headstock it looked like a joke to me. But then I saw a guy play a Tyler live and it grew on me. Maybe it's that sometimes these things look different "in the flesh" than in a picture. Unfortunately, the Suhr headstock still makes me shudder. In terms of design philosophy, I admire the company a lot. If Leo Fender were alive today, I'm pretty sure he would admire this company the most. At least they're not completely closed-minded and beholden to the vintage thing. Their SSC (silent single coil system) is probably the biggest innovation to hit Strat-style guitars in decades, they're now offering "vulcanized" necks, don't peddle the whole nitro hype, use stainless steel frets.... but that beak headstock is and will be a dealbreaker for me. As to the Momose one, I like it because it's definitely reminiscent of the Fender headstock (and the G&L one as well), while still managing to be clearly distinct. But I think I'm just rationalizing an esthetic preference here.

BrazenPicker said:
Their SSC (silent single coil system) is probably the biggest innovation to hit Strat-style guitars in decades, they're now offering "vulcanized" necks, don't peddle the whole nitro hype, use stainless steel frets.... but that beak headstock is and will be a dealbreaker for me. As to the Momose one, I like it because it's definitely reminiscent of the Fender headstock (and the G&L one as well), while still managing to be clearly distinct. But I think I'm just rationalizing an esthetic preference here.

Vulcanized necks? :eek: Does that mean the're coated with rubber? Or they're made by Mr. Spock?

:-?

This means they heat the wood at a very high temperature (400 F or something) in an oxygen free kiln (otherwise it would just burn up). I've seen microscopic pictures of such wood and it's very similar to 300 year old wood. It makes the wood lighter, more water repellent, more resonant, more stable, etc. Check out the threads on thegearpage.net. It seems legit from what I've been able to find out about it. Charvel and some other builders have also started doing it (some call it "carbonized" or "chocolatized"):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charvel-Custom-Carbonized-Abella-San-Dimas-Guitar-F-R-/110578590054?pt=Guitar&hash=item19beff6166

BrazenPicker said:
Check out the threads on thegearpage.net. It seems legit from what I've been able to find out about it.

Thanks, but no thanks. My head is more than sufficiently full of useless information already, I don't need any more!

Latest posts

Back