Orville by Gibson 59

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Connolly

Reaction score
Just in from Australia:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Orville-Gibson-59R-Made-Japan-Top-condition-/160493841345?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item255e2dabc1

Wow...that almost looks like it could be a solid flame top! The lines look to match up. I had one just like that but not a RI...very nice but $$$$$

Nice guitar!

I'm pretty sure that's not a solid top though - the midline of the veneer and the maple cap beneath it do not line up. Doesn't matter though, I've just bought a very similar ObG 59R (the thread below yours) and it absolutely kills any other LP I have played.

Enjoy!!

nice. i tried to buy that 6 months ago. but we were a little apart dollar wise. you actually ended up better than me. good job.

jacco said:
Princess-Isabela said:
jacco said:
Very nice! But indeed a bit pricey for a Terada.

That's just silly.
They are basically the same (Fujigen and Terada - OBG's).

That's your opinion but not that of the market

There is no such thing as "market opinion".
There are people who prefer Terada OBG's and Fujigen OBG's - it's a matter of preference, it really is ridiculous to say one is inferior to other since there are so many variants of guitars made from both of the factories.

I've never really understood why people say it, but I'm getting the impression that Fuji is preferred over Terada... I've played ObG examples from both and they were excellent with no obvious discrepancy in quality.

Mono said:
I've never really understood why people say it, but I'm getting the impression that Fuji is preferred over Terada... I've played ObG examples from both and they were excellent with no obvious discrepancy in quality.

+1

for no reason, slight differences, but no descernable tonal difference to me..

Princess-Isabela said:
jacco said:
Princess-Isabela said:
jacco said:
Very nice! But indeed a bit pricey for a Terada.

That's just silly.
They are basically the same (Fujigen and Terada - OBG's).

That's your opinion but not that of the market

There is no such thing as "market opinion".
There are people who prefer Terada OBG's and Fujigen OBG's - it's a matter of preference, it really is ridiculous to say one is inferior to other since there are so many variants of guitars made from both of the factories.

where did you see me saying Terada is inferior?

"bit pricey for a terada" was the giveaway.
Implies that its a fair price for a Fujigen but not a Terada as the quality of the latter is inferior to the former :)

Mono said:
"bit pricey for a terada" was the giveaway.
Implies that its a fair price for a Fujigen but not a Terada as the quality of the latter is inferior to the former :)

No that's your conclusion of my words

Fair enough... Not trying to start a fight over something so mundane, it's just interesting that there is this common thought in the marketplace with no real evidence in it's support.

Mono said:
...interesting that there is this common thought in the marketplace with no real evidence in it's support.

Ha ha ha, nothing strange about that! :lol:

It's a great observation on your part by the way, and worth remembering.

Mono said:
Fair enough... Not trying to start a fight over something so mundane, it's just interesting that there is this common thought in the marketplace with no real evidence in it's support.

Regarding Orvilles/ObGs; on YJ you still see Teradas going for a lot less than Fujigens. I think it started with the thought that K Orvilles were Korean but turned out to be Terada made.
I probably shouldn't say this but as far as I can generalize: I actually prefer Teradas over Fujigens..

I've seen very often sellers describe that the G in the serial means "the guitar has Gibson stock pickups...what a nonsens but I've seen it several time,one idiot is copying from another

Mono said:

Just wanted to share my opinion on this for what it is worth.

I have owned a '92 Terrada OBG LP and tonal qualities I would say are the same as Fujigen (but then again, I never had 2 LP's with the same configuration in terms of PU's of the both factories at any one time). However, there is where in my opinion the similarity stops.

Terada did make use of the glued-in heel part where the neck joins the body, Fujigen never did. Terada never got the "by Gibson" logo fully correct (open b and wobbly G and last n) which to me is just sloppy. These aspects make me think that the eye for detail in the Fujigen factory was just better and the level of quality control higher. I have seen an Ibanez made in Fujigen with an S stamped (indicating Second, or Rejected) and you had to find the cosmetic error with a magnifying glass).

If you get the chance, look at the inlays around the body of a 1995 Ibanez PS10 LTD guitar. I have one and it is just amazing! Also Fujigen made..

Other quality guitars such as the Greco were also made at the Fujigen factory not Terada (who else did they make guitars for?).

So, here you have a founded reason why I prefer Fujigen over Terada.

For what it's worth... :eek:)

Sunny greetings from Portugal

Joop

(who is glad he spotted a Fujigen made OBG ES335 and was even happier when it arrived on his door step)

jacco said:
Joop said:
Other quality guitars such as the Greco were also made at the Fujigen factory not Terada (who else did they make guitars for?)[/quote]

Fernandes..

Hi Jacco,

I actually meant Terada, who else did they make guitars for? Greco's and Ibanez from Fujigen I already knew...

Groeten,

Joop

Latest posts

Back