Looks like prices are really going up

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.de/1991-Orville-by-Gibson-Les-Paul-Flame-Top-San-Burst-HC-/390256578605?pt=Guitar&hash=item5add1ad02d

Really a nice OBG indeed but if I add shipping and custom taxes to Germany it will cost me about 2300 usd - and it's still a veneer :eek:
Even if I don't care about solid or veneer if the tone fits right to me this one seems pricey to me :roll:

That is not even a reissue model, just a nice flametop. I guess the price is too high unless someone buys it.

Right ! I could buy the same guitar with the same specs here in Europe for at least 300 euros less and ready to pickup - without the hassle with customs...

Only thing ObGs have going for them over the other MIJs - Officially sanctioned by Gibson, which seems to produce a perception of higher quality. (If I'm correct, the irony of it should produce a few chuckles)

In many cases they don't even have specs on par with a vintage Tokai LS-80.

But hey, that's the way things work - a pecking order always materialises from somewhere, and it may or may not be valid.

That one that you've linked to - I could have bought a Momose MLS-1 on Yahoo for that money, and there's no ObG that gets near one of those with their full Honduran and Braz specs. Sure, that spec doesn't guarantee a great guitar or even one that's definitely better than an ObG, but I'd rather take my chances with the Momose.

I'm pretty much in concordance with you, JVsearch. The Gibson link does definitely favour them, but I'd also like to add that my 59RI is by far and away the best Les Paul I've played to date (and that includes some very nice Gibson historic 59 reisssue 8) ) so they must've been doing something right over there !

And that ObG listed on eBay is way overpriced relative to the norm, so I think the seller thinks it's an LPS-FM which retailed for 198,000 Yen (has a solid flame top), but he has also acknowledged that it has a veneer... so... i dunno.

Yeah, I don't mean to say they can't be great guitars, but so can many other MIJs.
And yep, a solid flame top adds a lot of $$$ no matter who the maker is.

This is also true of new guitars - Gibson created the flame top marketing model :lol: and now everybody does it: 100k yen more for a flame top.

Mono said:
I'm pretty much in concordance with you, JVsearch. The Gibson link does definitely favour them, but I'd also like to add that my 59RI is by far and away the best Les Paul I've played to date (and that includes some very nice Gibson historic 59 reisssue 8) ) so they must've been doing something right over there !

And that ObG listed on eBay is way overpriced relative to the norm, so I think the seller thinks it's an LPS-FM which retailed for 198,000 Yen (has a solid flame top), but he has also acknowledged that it has a veneer... so... i dunno.

Seller says
Model Type :Orville By Gibson LPS-FM

t.olsen said:
Seller says

Yes, but in the one good neck p/up shot, it appears that I can trace two separate bands of flame from the top directly down into the p/up cavity. What I can't see is how the seam in the p/up wall matches up with the top seam.

I would have to see a couple more pics of the neck p/up cavity before I completely discount it being an LPS-FM. I wouldn't pay a premium without seeing more proof, but the veneer statement in a sub-heading could be an accident resulting from non-native language. Or not.

How much is 2300$ converted to Euro?

I sold a brother to this one (same top, same finish and same year) at 1000? just a couple of weeks ago.

Mick51 said:
t.olsen said:
Seller says

Yes, but in the one good neck p/up shot, it appears that I can trace two separate bands of flame from the top directly down into the p/up cavity. What I can't see is how the seam in the p/up wall matches up with the top seam.

I would have to see a couple more pics of the neck p/up cavity before I completely discount it being an LPS-FM. I wouldn't pay a premium without seeing more proof, but the veneer statement in a sub-heading could be an accident resulting from non-native language. Or not.

Those "bands" continue down over the mahogany as well so it is just dirt (if we talk about the same).

Koubayashi said:

I sold a brother to this one (same top, same finish and same year) at 1000? just a couple of weeks ago.

Around 1650 euros - to be honest rediculous in my eyes !

t.olsen said:
Koubayashi said:

Around 1650 euros - to be honest rediculous in my eyes !

Thats 250? more than I or Villager ask for an ObG 59ri flametop.

Villager sold me a OBG with a solid flametop for 1500 euros in may 2009.Would be interesting to know todays price for this guitar

t.olsen said:
Villager sold me a OBG with a solid flametop for 1500 euros in may 2009.Would be interesting to know todays price for this guitar

Hmmm...Let me know if I should sell or keep :D

Up to you :lol: I have no doubts that prices are going up

BTW...the OBG flametop came to me with a totally broken neck :cry:

t.olsen said:
Up to you :lol: I have no doubts that prices are going up

BTW...the OBG flametop came to me with a totally broken neck :cry:

There is a limit.
I and tens of thousands with me will always prefer the origina and now when the real vintage is dropping heavily in price I can't see that it wouldn't affect prices on Japanese guitars.

Too bad about the neck.
But that is the risk we all take.

Back