Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'81 Ibanez Blazer BL-350

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Washington Irving
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: '81 Ibanez Blazer BL-350 Reply with quote

Hi
I've had this guitar for a while now, so it's no NGD, but I guess it's always good to share some pics

As far as I know it was made in 1981 in the Dyna Gakki plant in Japan. It had a stock brass (including the toneblock) bridge and brass pot knobs. I had them polished some time ago, and they looked pretty impressive, but now they're tarnished again. It also has a stock phase inverter switch for the pickups. The original pickups had plain black plastic covers, so it looked pretty cool with the black scratchplate. Now it has a set of Texas Specials and looks more SRV-ish I also replaced the tuner to locking shallers, and removed the string holders from the headstock. Now it stays in tune for weeks (unless I use the tremolo.. ). I had a hard time fitting those tuners without drilling in the wood. I had to extend the screw holes in the tuners and install them a bit turned to the side. Looks strange, but works fine.
The body is a shameful 4-piece, the neck is 1 piece, the nut is bone.

I also had it refretted. While doing the job, my luthier thought it would be a great idea to refenish the guitar. The only thing he didn't think about was that he should have my permission (idiot!!). On the other hand - he did call me and ask me - but that was after he started the job
. Man, was he suprised then I said NO! In the end I actually like the way it looks now (it's exactly the same colour, and the finish is very thin - you can even see the wood grain through it on the photos. Only difference - now it's glossy), and the guitar has no value as a collectible, so there's no loss on my side as he didn't charge me anything.

ok, too much talking, here are the pics:

householdsaint
I only know 3 chords

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '81 Ibanez Blazer BL-350 Reply with quote

Washington Irving wrote:
Hi
I've had this guitar for a while now, so it's no NGD, but I guess it's always good to share some pics

As far as I know it was made in 1981 in the Dyna Gakki plant in Japan. It had a stock brass (including the toneblock) bridge and brass pot knobs. I had them polished some time ago, and they looked pretty impressive, but now they're tarnished again. It also has a stock phase inverter switch for the pickups. The original pickups had plain black plastic covers, so it looked pretty cool with the black scratchplate. Now it has a set of Texas Specials and looks more SRV-ish I also replaced the tuner to locking shallers, and removed the string holders from the headstock. Now it stays in tune for weeks (unless I use the tremolo.. ). I had a hard time fitting those tuners without drilling in the wood. I had to extend the screw holes in the tuners and install them a bit turned to the side. Looks strange, but works fine.
The body is a shameful 4-piece, the neck is 1 piece, the nut is bone.

I also had it refretted. While doing the job, my luthier thought it would be a great idea to refenish the guitar. The only thing he didn't think about was that he should have my permission (idiot!!). On the other hand - he did call me and ask me - but that was after he started the job
. Man, was he suprised then I said NO! In the end I actually like the way it looks now (it's exactly the same colour, and the finish is very thin - you can even see the wood grain through it on the photos. Only difference - now it's glossy), and the guitar has no value as a collectible, so there's no loss on my side as he didn't charge me anything.

ok, too much talking, here are the pics:

These Old Ibanez guitars really perform well and feel great! So what if it's been refinished! I bet you it sounds awesome!

I love old Ibanez guitars!
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of idiot would refinish a customer's old guitar without his express permission? Jeez! And you trust him to refret it?

I wouldn't!

Incredible.

Mike
Washington Irving
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the refretting was first. The positive side of that unfortunate event was, that he has done all those works I described earlier only for the price of refretting. And the refretting price was also low in comparison with other luthiers from my city.
The refin was a dumb move, but what can I do about it now

anyway - yesterday (finally, after over a year of searching, researching and deciding) I won an auction and bought a fujigen-made Orville LP (hurray!). I don't think I'll trust him with this one
stratman323

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're happy with it, despite everything.

Ive just collected my new Breezy from my local tech. Luckily he only set it up & stoned a few frets - it's still the same colour as it was before! Mind you, if he had refinished it in white, I wouldn't have been too upset...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: